rebuilding the trailer!
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rebuilding the trailer!

MedTechRR

rebuilding the trailer!

Well, It's down to a couple of weeks before Grattan so I figured I better start preparing.

My old Nor'Easter 2 place snowmobile trailer was in rough condition and I wasn't feeling too confident making the 1600 mile trek with it. I pulled off all the decking, ordered a new axle, springs, hubs, bearings, got new tires, replaced the hitch, and replaced the entire lighting system. The frame is galvanized steel and in pretty decent condition. I will feel much better towing my bikes now. I ordered 2 pitbull wheel chocks and will be installing them when they arrive. I also got some of those nifty recessed tie-down rings to install in the deck so I won't have to worry about finding places to secure the bikes.

My only question, how far forward should I have the bikes? Usually ya want 60 front/ 40 rear. I don't see why this would change but I figured I'd ask for those with real motorcycle trailers or more knowledge on the subject.

Now I have to prep the bikes and make sure the jeep is all ready to go!! Almost there!!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: rebuilding the trailer!

Quote Originally Posted by MedTechRR
    Usually ya want 60 front/ 40 rear.

gman80

Quote Originally Posted by MedTechRR
    Well, It's down to a couple of weeks before Grattan so I figured I better start preparing.

My old Nor'Easter 2 place snowmobile trailer was in rough condition and I wasn't feeling too confident making the 1600 mile trek with it. I pulled off all the decking, ordered a new axle, springs, hubs, bearings, got new tires, replaced the hitch, and replaced the entire lighting system. The frame is galvanized steel and in pretty decent condition. I will feel much better towing my bikes now. I ordered 2 pitbull wheel chocks and will be installing them when they arrive. I also got some of those nifty recessed tie-down rings to install in the deck so I won't have to worry about finding places to secure the bikes.

My only question, how far forward should I have the bikes? Usually ya want 60 front/ 40 rear. I don't see why this would change but I figured I'd ask for those with real motorcycle trailers or more knowledge on the subject.

Now I have to prep the bikes and make sure the jeep is all ready to go!! Almost there!!
    well done mate

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You want 10-15% of total weight on the tounge. Shift your load accordinaly.

MrX954

Odd my chock said to mount as far forward as possible in the instructions....works fine how it is mounted so I guess it dont matter.

MedTechRR

anyone else have any input on this? Would I want to put them all the way forward? That is much more weight on the front than 60%. That would put the rear wheel almost on the axle, maybe a foot behind?

cbr99xx

I've been working on my trailer this weekend as well. I have an old dirt bike trailer that I've been using until I hit the Lotto and can afford an enclosed trailer.

I swapped the 8" wheels for a 12" set. Repacked the wheel bearings replaced the grease seals and installed bearing buddies. And... added a place for my gas cans to ride on my trailer (since I don't have a truck anymore).

All of this coupled with... Installing a trailer hitch on my Durango, wiring for trailer lights and doing a front brake job which required replacement of the rotors. I still need to change the oil. Heck, I could use a little Lotto money now!

I start on the bike this next week.