Open trailer Questions
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Open trailer Questions

soon2b954

Open trailer Questions

Thinking about picking up an open trailer for the odd track day here and there. Don't know too much about trailers so I'm looking for advise as to what to look for when shopping for one.

What size would I need to haul 2 or 3 bikes, tire size, etc?

TIA

Mojave954

Re: Open trailer Questions

Just swung by a local stealer here, 600 US gets you a wood deck and a metal ramp. Ya get sides to it as well. Ya can put down your own hooks or whatever configuration ya need.

mr_rua

Don't remember what tire size I have, but I think it was the largest for 5x8 trailers on the dealership lot. My trailer is a 5x8 with the diamond plated floor and it holds 2 bikes max. If you want something to haul 3 bikes, you might have to go a bit wider or longer. I borrowed a friends 5x10 before and remembering it, I think it was possible to put 3 bikes in, but it would be a bit odd.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, no way could I envision 3 bikes on my 5x8 trailer...

Mojave954

Most of the ones I see have the "standard" 14 in. rims.

HondaGalToo

6x12 will carry 2 bikes. 3 would be a tight squeeze. 5x8 are good for one bike, I can't picture getting 2 on anything smaller than a 6x12, at least not safely.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A 5x8 open is just fine for hauling two bikes. I paid $490 for a tilt bed, wood deck 5x8 with 3500 lb. axle. The 3500 lb. axle comes with 15" wheels (or sometimes 14"). The 2000 lb. axles come with the much smaller wheels. I went with the heavier axle and bigger wheels for longer bearing life, and more capacity. I've hauled two bikes several times, to many trackdays and trips to Deal's Gap and back.
    Last edited by evl_twn; 12-17-2006 at 1:51 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CBRBob

I have had 2 bikes on a 4X8, it's tight but doable. Here is a pic of 3 bikes I put on a 4X8 once + 1 in the truck.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Open trailer Questions-4gns2.jpg  

FHL

What about a 3 rail or metal trailer? I just need something to transport my stunt bike, or street bike occassionally cross country but mostly to a parking lot in case my bike won't ride home.

By the way is it possible to use a civic to tow a small trailer like that?

CBRBob

....stunt bike. Just hook some straps to the bumper and drag it home.

Pretty much anything will pull small trailers with one bike. The bolt together trailers are less than 300lbs.

colryn

Quote Originally Posted by CBRBob
    ....stunt bike. Just hook some straps to the bumper and drag it home.

that's a good one.

Question about the open trailers.. Do any of the bikes get debris damage from the trip? Is it advisable to cover the bikes during the trip?

CBRBob

Never had any damage, just lock them up overnight. As far as a cover, maybe just a Geza style cover. Any loose flapping cover will ruin paint and scuff surfaces in notime!

DUX

I don't think you said what you'll be towing with, but keep in mind the wood-deck trailers are usually steel. That weight + 3 bikes can add up. Will they only be sport-bikes?

I bought a trailer from a dealer who sells Worthington tailers(www.worthington.com) Very nice open trailer, all aluminum and VERY light. Not that it matters, but I think it looks pretty cool too. The three chock trailer easily tows two VTX 1800's (at least 800lbs each), and I don't even feel them behind my Trooper.

They build it like you want, and I had an extra foot of floor added to mine. I'd also recommend a tongue jack (with a wheel.) If you don't get it with the trailer you can buy one at Wal-Mart or any boat store for about $60.

No damage on trips...just dust sometimes. I wouldn't cover them with anything. Like the previous post said, anything flapping at all quickly works with the wind to sand and scratch surfaces. I also would not recommend running a strap through the wheel. Even just a little movement can wear a "hot spot," no matter what you use to protect it. That's a lesson learned from a previous bike
    Last edited by DUX; 11-25-2004 at 10:12 AM.

CBRBob

So true! I see so many bikes with staps all over everything with rags wrapped around it. 4 straps work well. 2 off the lower tripe clamp pulling forward and to the sides. 2 on the rear pulling slightly forward and definately to the side just for support.

Northy

What speeds can you do on highway with the open style trailer with say 15" wheels?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine's been safe up to around 90mph with the truck, and I've seen over 100 a couple times with the WRX. Usual towing speed is about 75 though.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For 2 sport bike, a 5x8 will work. A 6x10 will be a little easier. Its possable to get 3 sportbikes on a 6x12, but I would go to a 7x14 if your going to do it often. FWIW, here is my 5x8 (3.5K axl, 15" tires, built like a tank)
    Last edited by G-Force Junkie; 12-28-2006 at 12:25 AM.

CBRBob

I run 12" tires on my 4'x8' with one bike, gas, canopy etc. I probably had 40k on them and usually run 75mph. In the past I had 2 bikes on the same trailer but tried not to go over 80. Never had a tire failure with 12" tires.

Northy

Thanks for the info guys. I stopped and looked at a few today. The place I stopped had trailers built by Texas Bragg. I looked at a 5X8, 6X10 and a 6X10 with three tracks already attached for bikes. Prices were between $900 - $1150. All were single axle, wood floors with mesh ramp and 15" wheels. Also, had a Titan 6X12 enclosed trailer, single axle, electric brakes, torsion axle etc for $3150. Now that would be nice for Grattan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast