Building a trailer, need suggestions
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Building a trailer, need suggestions

half

Building a trailer, need suggestions

I am considering building a trailer, and figured the more input the better. It will be 8' wide x 12' or 14', single axle with fold down door and curbside walk door. I need enough space for 2 or 3 bikes and all the gear. I would like to build a couple fold down bunks, so I can sleep in it. The things I'm not sure about are, v nose or square? Should I wire it for 110 or 12 volts? Buy an ezup or put a roll up awning on the trailer? Toolboxes or built in cabinets? D rings or track on the floor? Any tips or suggestions for setup would be great. Thanks

sheepofblue

Re: Building a trailer, need suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by half
    I am considering building a trailer, and figured the more input the better. It will be 8' wide x 12' or 14', single axle with fold down door and curbside walk door. I need enough space for 2 or 3 bikes and all the gear. I would like to build a couple fold down bunks, so I can sleep in it. The things I'm not sure about are, v nose or square? Should I wire it for 110 or 12 volts? Buy an ezup or put a roll up awning on the trailer? Toolboxes or built in cabinets? D rings or track on the floor? Any tips or suggestions for setup would be great. Thanks
    As someone that is looking I was told that one foot of width is like two of length on towing. You might consider a 7x16 rather than a 8x12
    Also you might consider a 12 volt system with an inverter from 110. That way if you have 110 available you can save batteries and maybe run higher load items like AC, heat or a compressor other wise you lighting still works.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If your going to build it that big, put double axls on it, one with electric brakes. ITs going to be too heavy for one, even a 5k. And it will tow a whole lot better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

HondaGalToo

Quote Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
    If your going to build it that big, put double axls on it, one with electric brakes. ITs going to be too heavy for one, even a 5k. And it will tow a whole lot better.
    Absolutely! They won't sell anything larger than a 6x12 without dual axles and brakes, so you probably should build one without those 2 things. When I bought my 7x14, brakes were required, and there weren't any with single axles.

half

Thanks for the input guys. You are probably right about the using tandem axles instead of a single. I just hate the thought of using 14 or 15 inch wheels. I have an 8k axle with 16 inch wheels laying around that I was going to use, but I may have to reconsider.

SilverBullet

Quote Originally Posted by half
    Thanks for the input guys. You are probably right about the using tandem axles instead of a single. I just hate the thought of using 14 or 15 inch wheels. I have an 8k axle with 16 inch wheels laying around that I was going to use, but I may have to reconsider.

I would think unless you have most of the stuff to build it already, it would be cheaper to buy a used 7X14 and then put the stuff in it you want. I carry 2 bikes/generator/gear/big cooler, easily in my 6X12. I'm putting a tool cabinet on the floor in front of the right bike with a cabinet above it. We have carried 3 bikes in our 7X14 and all gear, and that wasnt a problem either. Our 7X14 has dual axle and electric brakes.

half

I do have most of the material and all the tools to build it. My primary reason for building my own is quality. I haven't really found any trailers that are built the way I would. I am sure I can find one cheaper than I can build, but so far I am not very impressed by the quality.