Honda Pioneer Forums banner

My Purchase: Nissan Frontier

8K views 37 replies 5 participants last post by  colryn 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I did do it and I got a steal....

My wife is the quietest sweetest young lady, have to be to be married to me, and she played the stubborn wife who was not willing to move a single penny very well. :clap:

I have a link for some quick pictures here:

Truck Pics

Have this week going in: Spray in Bedliner, Class IV tow hitch with lighting harness, and front and rear strobes.

My brother has this truck 4X2 and he told me he tows his 3800 lb boat with no problems. I have the off road package also which raises the tow capacity suspension wise by about 800 lbs..... obviously not motor.

I am going to have a 6'8" snoway plow put on it for my driveway accounts, my brother will be driving the old F150 to do the other lots...

I was pleasantly suprised to find out that Nissan puts a sizable tranny cooler and oil cooler in this truck. That the plow will not void the remaining warranty on the truck either.

This thing is a 2003 and it is immaculate...

Went to Carmax, because they had the same truck for 19500 and would only offer 800 on my pick up. Told the sales people "see this truck out there? I bought it forn 17000 out the door and got 4200 trade in for my old pickup that you offered me 800 for. So this no haggle idea must be working well for you." To my suprise in the paper I just read that Carmax is one of the top 100 places to work in the nation. With my happy face coming in, I can tell why.

Life is good.

See less See more
G
#7 ·
Depo,

how much is it going to cost to install line-x? I am very curious to know. It just so happens that I bought an 01 Frontier this weekend. It has a factory plastic bedliner installed that I am not crazy about. I would love to have that spray stuff in the bed.

G
#8 ·
colryn said:
Depo,

how much is it going to cost to install line-x? I am very curious to know. It just so happens that I bought an 01 Frontier this weekend. It has a factory plastic bedliner installed that I am not crazy about. I would love to have that spray stuff in the bed.
Probably around $350

G
#9 ·
Intimidator said:
I did Line-X. What do you guys think is better about Line-X?
Frankly, it's a tougher surface than Rhino (though Rhino's not exactly a poorly performing spray-in). The best part of it is it tends to be affected less by UV than Rhino, at least according to my eye (comparing my truck to a buddy's).

#10 ·
I really wanted to go line-x fellas, but I got some bad news in regards to no one within 100 miles of me does line-x. The Rhino Liner gave me a paper in hand warranty for the life of the truck including fading.

I am getting the spray bedliner, the IV hitch (which is overkill, but that is the way I am), and the four point strobes for under 700 dollars.... so not bad.

G
#11 ·
DEPO said:
I really wanted to go line-x fellas, but I got some bad news in regards to no one within 100 miles of me does line-x. The Rhino Liner gave me a paper in hand warranty for the life of the truck including fading.

I am getting the spray bedliner, the IV hitch (which is overkill, but that is the way I am), and the four point strobes for under 700 dollars.... so not bad.
So what exactly do the strobes do for you?

#13 ·
Intimidator said:
So what exactly do the strobes do for you?

The strobes are for the plow that is being placed on the truck..... to do my driveway accounts

In Indiana Plow Trucks must have yellow flashing or revolving lights......

So instead of those ugly yellow magnet mounts, I am having the strobes circuit placed in the truck that will flash the yellow turn signals instead.

#16 ·
Yes, Driveway accounts..... We here in NW Indiana on the lake front..... hire plow drivers to do our drives because of the amount of snow and the length of some of these drives in the rural area.

We get any where from $60 to 180 a push......

So a nice mid-size pick up is perfect for those type of accounts.

and Snow way is a company that makes commercial plows for mid size trucks that work awesome.

#17 ·
You're going to like that truck. My 2001 is up to 104,000 miles and I've only had to replace the front brake pads, on my second set of tires, and recently replaced the belts. Change the fluids every now and then and you'll be good to go.

I've done a LOT of towing with mine and while there are definately times I wish I had a larger truck, the mighty Nissan is just fine for its size. :thumb:

#18 ·
Well here is the update....

Got the Spray in Bed Liner... It is Rhino and I got it for $380... cause of it being the short bed.

Got a Class IV hitch on the truck... it is overkill.... but it is nice.

The company told me I was the lucky customer to have the first and last hitch put in on a Nissan Frontier, because of it being a pain in the arse.....

here is pics...

http://online.indwes.edu/MEDOL40/michael.depasquale/pics.html

#24 ·
nice looking truck. my dad was just in an accident in his S10 yesterday. I haven't seen it but he says it'll probably be totaled. We'll have to go look at a Frontier.

#25 ·
colryn said:
Why so tough for a class IV? What does class IV buy you anyway? I have no idea. Whats the diff if class 1 2 3 4?

Info?

Without giving you a guide..... The classification of the hitch is what tow capabilities and tonque weight capabilities......

Usually Class I is a very light weight hitch, sometimes they will call bumper hitches class I

Usually Class II is a 1 inch receiver with a thinner frame, not as many mounting points to the frame, usually 4.... tows up to 3500 lbs.... tonque weight around 300 lbs

Class III is a 2 inch receiver.... thicker in material.... tows up to 5000 lbs tonque weight usually up to 400-500 lbs

Class IV is a 2 inch receiver .... a lot more substantial then the III, tows around 9000 lbs

V is the mother of all loads for a framed tow hitch...... weight is pretty much what the vehicle can handle and tonque weight is what the rear-end can take without bottoming out.... We have truck at school with a V on it and we tow a 32 foot trailer with all of are marching band equipment..... with Sway bars ....... those hitches are circa 60 lbs.

All those weights above are guesses...... but pretty close..... remember though... the hitch might handle it, but the vehicle might not.... tranny coolers, wheel base... and etc...

then you can get goose necks and 5th wheels and the skies the limit.

But that is another episode on This Olde Hitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.