Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project

sheepofblue

Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project

I started the creation of a chock mount that mounts on e track running length wise. I could not find a solution that made me happy so I created another one that I am not happy with That said I plan on the next being improved and the design and knowledge might help others, so here it is. The design consists of a Pit Bull chock mounted on red oak with a iron bar attached to the oak and etrack clips. The problem with the design is that the fit is to tight, when attaching the platform holds the clips to high. To mount to etrack you need to attach the bar then bolt on the red oak platform. One design I am considering for the next is to fasten the clips to the bar with a 1/2 bolt interface so that the clips can rotate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project-final.jpg  

sheepofblue

Re: Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project

The platform is a red oak 1x12 cut 14" long the side bars are 1x2 red oak also. The center underneath is routed out 3/16" deep to adjust bar height.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project-red-oak-platform.jpg   Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project-side-rail-drilled.jpg  
    Last edited by sheepofblue; 05-20-2005 at 8:31 PM.

sheepofblue

The e-track clips are from rope ties with the cloth and d-rings cut off. These are welded to a 2x3/16" iron bar cut 16" long. This is the first area that can be improved. The clips should be able to pivot and I would suggest 1.5" bar since the e track clip slot is 2" and needed some grinding for fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project-clip.jpg   Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project-bar-clips.jpg   Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project-side-rail.jpg  
    Last edited by sheepofblue; 05-20-2005 at 8:37 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

sheepofblue

As stated in the intro the bottom of the table was routed out. The height needed to use the slot in the clips was 0.75" which is the height of the side rails, so if the tabletop was routed to allow the bar to lay flush, perfect fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project-routed.jpg   Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project-undr-bar.jpg  
    Last edited by sheepofblue; 05-20-2005 at 8:40 PM.

sheepofblue

To ensure the table could hold the weight I had the RR front wheel on it for about 1 1/2 hour with no signs of bowing. The back was in a Pit Bull stand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Semi Failed E Track Chock mount project-rr-table-front.jpg  

sheepofblue

Now some lessons learned and comments:
    1) Always pre drill hard wood before installing wood screws.
    2) The ends need to rotate to clip in
    3) The basic design seems sound
    4) I need to road test the design before building table #2
    5) I suck at wood work

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like a lot of work.

Bacchus

Keep tryin' sheepster! And never forget your signature.

Seriously, good luck with it, I know you'll get 'er done.

sheepofblue

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider
    Looks like a lot of work.
    Lots of measuring and thinking. The second will go faster when I solve my clip issue. I am debating on the mount on bolt idea or leaving more bar free so it can flex some.

Also any opinions on if the tire sitting on a bolt head would be bad for the tire? I am thinking of making a cap of some sort...

bubba

Quote Originally Posted by sheepofblue

Also any opinions on if the tire sitting on a bolt head would be bad for the tire? I am thinking of making a cap of some sort...

glue a piece of carpet over it to provide some padding and traction for the tire

Baketech

Just counterbore it a bit if it concerns you...

sheepofblue

Both good suggestions.
    The carpet would work but it is red oak trying to maintain a spiffy hard wood look.... Tires are more important though. Oops just thought of it, this one the bolt has to be able to be removed until I improve the design.

Baketech I had discussed that very thing with my brother, the thing is the lumber is 3/4 thick (true size) and had 3/16 routed out for the bar already. I was afraid countersinking would make it to thin at the mount point.

Baketech

Baketech I had discussed that very thing with my brother, the thing is the lumber is 3/4 thick (true size) and had 3/16 routed out for the bar already. I was afraid countersinking would make it to thin at the mount point.
    It's not under any tensile load because the bike is on it...you could go to (2) smaller fasteners to get shallower C-Bores, if you were concerned about it...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baketech
    Just counterbore it a bit if it concerns you...
    Or use a carriage bolt.

sheepofblue

Interesting Baketech I believe you are right. The side rails are the support and the bolts are more front to back (attaching the rail). There might be some hole boring tonight...

No carriage bolts since my design failed. If I make the ends to rotate so I do not have to unbolt it to get the bar on carriage bolts will be used (hopefully the next one)

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

as far as the traction surface, do a rough sand to it? better than smooth wood if you aren't gonna cover it.
    Last edited by CBR929RE; 05-25-2005 at 6:07 PM.
    "let's face it when you went into that voting booth you had a choice between 2 bowls of sh!t. the only difference was the smell"