what did I do wrong (trailering question)
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: what did I do wrong (trailering question)

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what did I do wrong (trailering question)

Been trailering with my Civic for awhile...never tugged anything heavy as what I did today (about 1300# at one point). All the hardparts are rated for much much more, but what gives with this ball?

It's a fulton, rated for 2000#, and is <6 months old, and was lubed, etc. at the time of this niceness.

Trailer was bouncing around a bit, and the coupler is 100% ok, so I'm confused as to why this would randomly occur?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what did I do wrong (trailering question)-blueball.jpg  

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: what did I do wrong (trailering question)

Can't help, but let me be the first to thank you for wearing clothes when you took that picture.

Getsome

not sure on this one. I have never used any kind of lube on my trailer ball when towing( afraid it will increase possibility of slip off) and have never seen that kind of damage to a ball after towing......looks like they had a bad batch of steel when they made it and it ended up too soft.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConqSoft
    Can't help, but let me be the first to thank you for wearing clothes when you took that picture.
    Well you got rid of the NWS section so I had to photoshop some shading in there to render the appearance of clothing

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Getsome
    not sure on this one. I have never used any kind of lube on my trailer ball when towing( afraid it will increase possibility of slip off) and have never seen that kind of damage to a ball after towing......looks like they had a bad batch of steel when they made it and it ended up too soft.
    Not sure why I started greasing it, my cheapy 1-rail dirtbike trailer would squeal like a pig if I didn't.

The weirder part is that I've towed with it before, so I thought a defect of any type would become quickly apparent. either way - add it to the list of weird **** you've seen in the world of transport...cause I can take a photo of the scrapes on my hand from the burring on that @#%#@.

Mattress

Think I'd go with a stainless ball next time

Baketech

Not enough tongue weight...
    The ball does not ride in the socket on it's bearing surface. This causes point contact on the locking mechanism, and subsequent hobbing, then galling. This happens pretty easily with a light trailer being hauled empty...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sheepofblue

Looks like a distorted Vista

Just kidding, the tongue weight diagnosis sounds correct.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baketech
    Not enough tongue weight...
    Damn, I knew it! I tried to get my load as far fore the axle as possible but due to construction of the trailer was forced to load it as I did. It was popping more then usual, and was almost perfectly balanced despite a few attempts at moving stuff around to shift weight. I figured "well as long as it's not leaning back I should be ok..."

did about 120 miles yesterday with 2 loads of fencing. The vinyl stuff is light...but in quantity it does get a bit heavy. The load pictured was rails, which I think were about 7# a piece...and I had 92 of em, what, rent a truck you say? why I have a civic - it loves towing!

I can tell you one thing - I'm damn glad I replaced the stock suspension when I did, or I probably wouldn't be here, but we'll leave my unwise decision making for another thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what did I do wrong (trailering question)-img_8175-large-.jpg  

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Damn termites.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nhfirefighter13
    Damn termites.
    If they eat this fence, I probably don't want to live in the neighborhood anymore anyways