Loading a bike in pick-up
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Loading a bike in pick-up

monkey

Loading a bike in pick-up

I've got an '05 Toyota Tacoma that I load our bikes in when we go to the track. I usually guide the bike while the wife pushes from the rear to get the bike up the ramp. The last time we loaded at the track, my wife missed the ramp with one foot and stumbled/fell to the ground. A small boy was watching our little show and asked me, "Why don't you just start the bike and use the motor to help put it in the truck?" Ah, from the mouths of babes. Which of course got me thinking, why DON'T I do it that way? Certainly, there must be a reason, perhaps a safety issue? Does anyone else load their bike into a truck bed using this method. I've never seen it done. All the guys I know have single rail ramps, and we just help each other push them up.

Any help would be much appreciated (especially by my wife)

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Loading a bike in pick-up

When I had an open utility trailer, I used the motor to power it up the ramp every time. I just slipped the clutch with one hand and brake with the other while walking along side it. Backing down the ramp was more nerve racking, IMO...

phobiaphobe

I usually get 2 buddies to help me. 2 guys both lift from the bottom of the fork and the clip on to get the front wheel on the (lowered) tailgate while the third guy stands in the box to balance it. Then we lift up on the swinger while the third guy guides it in.

When I was a kid I would just ride my XR80 up a 2x6 and slam on the brakes when I got in, but I wouldn't consider that ideal. Somehow natural selection didn't select me.

If you only have 2 people, back the truck up to a hill. Driveway approaches work great. Then the tailgate touches the slope and you just push it in.

Nice truck

edit: ramps are for sissies

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Linus

Wow,

I manage a Toyota dealership and drive an 05' D-Cab Tacoma as my demo-and track bike hauler. I suggest that you back the truck up to the street, close to where the gutter is. Your rear tires should rest in it, and hopefully if there is an incline to your driveway it will be easy to push the bike up. I never suggest riding it ot throttling it up, I mistake will severely damage both vehicles. A few friends or a neighbor always help. Stay on the brake side and if the wife is helping push she should just be to the rear by the pegs pushing so as not to get squashed or hurt. A few guys I've seen run the bike up-but that takes a bit of practice and they are experienced dirt bikers. Also I suggest being careful with the front tie downs remeber they are only rated for 200lbs each.

Linus

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I dont ride the bike up the ramp (Depends on the size and angle), I always motor it up.

Hammer

I use 2 2X6's and walk up 1 and guide the bike up on the other ramp. Just take your time. Now comming down is ....lets say interesting. I usually start the bike and put it in 1st gear with the clutch in and roll it down the ramp, the front may slide a little. If you get into trouble comming down the bike is already running and in gear so you can get it back straight on the ramp, or dump the bike and have a runaway bike!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just make sure you run a tiedown strap or two from he bumper or hitch to the ramp...With the rear wheel under power, they can spit the ramp backwards. Ive seen it done with dirt bikes, and I am guessing a 929 would do a poor Half Gaynor off a Tacoma That said, I have powered my 929 into my truck. I really dont like to, especialy if youdont have an identical ramp to walk up on. Usualy, you can find a way to lower the bed such as put the rear wheels in the drainage ditch of the curb, or put the front wheels up on a curb.

wiso

I use two arched ramps, no ditch, no motor, no friends. The largest I've loaded myself was a Concours. The sportbikes are really easy as they are so light. Get a rolling start, as the front end gets up past the tailgate, I stop if it's really heavy, to get up on the truck to get a better push in. It also helps to have someone on the right side to hit the rear brake to hold the bike while you get on the truck.
    I have a Tundra 2wd lowered a few inches to make it easier all around.
    Raised 4wd trucks are not very smart when it comes to trying to roll a 500lb bike into them.

Diesel954

Ive motored every bike in the back of my truck. Just need a little control of the clutch and a little coordination. I bought two steel ramps from Harbor Freight Tools and use on for the bike and one to walk alongside it. Never had a single problem. Done everything from a YZF1000, 929, 954, CBR1000, and even a Roadstar Warrior (heavy sumbitch). Dont be skerd, just motor that bioootttccchhhh in there.

929inNY

i dont have any friends, so i am forced to load it myself frequently (Also going into a 05 tacoma).
    I just walk it right up and stop when the front tire gets in the bed, hold the front break, put my knee on the tailgate, stand up on the tailgate, then power it right up into the bed.

Im a little taller than my buddy, he hates/ cannot do it himself (im 6'2")

as far as the issue of killing myself/ crashing my bike/ trashing my truck while doing this- i would rate it slightly less dangerous than driving on a public road.

LUCIDDREAM57

pull up to truck, pull clutch, rev engine freely, dump clutch, get front wheel in truck, endo rear in and presto,

phobiaphobe

Quote Originally Posted by LUCIDDREAM57
    pull up to truck, pull clutch, rev engine freely, dump clutch, get front wheel in truck, endo rear in and presto,
    I watched a guy get really stoned and try to wheelie his RM250 into the back kof his truck on level ground. Didn't work out so well, and he left a couple of teeth behind.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Linus
    A few guys I've seen run the bike up-but that takes a bit of practice and they are experienced dirt bikers.
    I watched a guy blow the back window out of his brand new pick up doing that.

Last time I went riding, I watched Mattress wheelie his damn CR500 onto his little trailer with no ramp too.

Using power up a ramp works if the ramp is tied in works, but it's too risky for me. If you slip and turn that throttle grip 1/4 inch, you are in a world of ****.
    Last edited by luvtolean; 02-10-2006 at 12:47 PM.

LUCIDDREAM57

HAHAHA, i was making a funny, thats unreal that someone would attempt such an improbable feat in real life.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use the motor, but I use second gear. Lot less torque on the initial engagement of the clutch, It almost guarantees no lurching forward hard. Make sure you have an equal hand on the brake also.

Plus with it in second stalls easily if it gets out of control.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DEPO
    I use the motor, but I use second gear. Lot less torque on the initial engagement of the clutch, It almost guarantees no lurching forward hard. Make sure you have an equal hand on the brake also.

Plus with it in second stalls easily if it gets out of control.
    That's a really great idea. Thanks.

EatnAsphalt

I never do this with a dirtibke, but the 929 I use 2 ramps, walk up one, using the engine in first gear to bring the bike up the other ramp. It takes good clutch/throttle control for sure. My van floor is over 3' high. I've got too many injuries to have to the strength to push the bike up anymore. The ramps are 10' long and I would be at a bigger risk not having enough muscle and getting the bike half way.

Whichever method you use, just make sure you check and recheck everything. Make sure the ramp is secure. Make sure you have good shoes on that can't slip off or lose traction. Make sure you are lined up straight with the ramp, etc, etc. Loading a streetbike is one time I don't want to make any mistakes. I take it as serious as a pilot doing a pre-flight check.

CBRVFR

I have 3 2X12 ramps for my van, though I really use 2. (The other one is "just in case")

I walk next to the bike, using the motor. I back it out the same way, using the front brake. I've had a lot of practice, and it usually goes easily, I have seen every harebrained scheme you can imagine at track days..

MetallicCarrot

Quote Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
    If you only have 2 people, back the truck up to a hill. Driveway approaches work great. Then the tailgate touches the slope and you just push it in.

Nice truck

edit: ramps are for sissies
    It also helps if you remove one end of the tailgate straps. Allows more angle for the tailgate.

Fracture

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicCarrot
    It also helps if you remove one end of the tailgate straps. Allows more angle for the tailgate.
    And twists your tailgate so it's cock-eyed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast