abtech, time to retire the PITBIKE?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: abtech, time to retire the PITBIKE?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

abtech, time to retire the PITBIKE?

phobiaphobe

Re: abtech, time to retire the PITBIKE?

You couldn't give him a Freightliner.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Odd...Reg was trying to get out of the business altogether, but this ad makes it sound like he's not.

Wonder if he'll trade for a 6 x 12?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That wouldn't be a step up, believe me . . .

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
    You couldn't give him a Freightliner.
    all the freightliners I've driver (never a big one like this though) have sucked. The suspension and chassis in all of them just flat out sucked.
    "let's face it when you went into that voting booth you had a choice between 2 bowls of sh!t. the only difference was the smell"

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE
    all the freightliners I've driver (never a big one like this though) have sucked. The suspension and chassis in all of them just flat out sucked.
    They may have improved in the recent past, but I drove a 2005 Century Class with all the trimmings in May and it still handled like an office building, sucked fuel (3.5 mpg best case with half load pulling a 48' air ride trailer) and was so noisy I couldn't take more than 2 hours in the cab . . .

SPEED

Quote Originally Posted by abtech
    They may have improved in the recent past, but I drove a 2005 Century Class with all the trimmings in May and it still handled like an office building, sucked fuel (3.5 mpg best case with half load pulling a 48' air ride trailer) and was so noisy I couldn't take more than 2 hours in the cab . . .
    Sissy!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPEED
    Sissy!
    Drove it back to back with a new Pete 386 and to call them both trucks is a real stretch. The Pete handled 10 times better, had a tighter turning radius (same wheelbase), was much smoother, had more power and got over 6 mpg on the same run. The cab noise was order of magnitude lower than the Crateliner as well. Interestingly, the price difference between the 2 tractors was less than 12K . . .

sheepofblue

There's 385 other Pete's

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sheepofblue
    There's 385 other Pete's
    I think so. I owned a 362 (Cabover) and a couple of 379 conventionals. Some of the models are special builds for a limited market (mining tractors etc.).

sheepofblue

+1 for me

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sheepofblue
    +1 for me
    That one flew right over his head!

SPEED

Drove it back to back with a new Pete 386 and to call them both trucks is a real stretch. The Pete handled 10 times better, had a tighter turning radius (same wheelbase), was much smoother, had more power and got over 6 mpg on the same run. The cab noise was order of magnitude lower than the Crateliner as well. Interestingly, the price difference between the 2 tractors was less than 12K . . .
    Everybody knows a Pete is a better made tractor but since I've been a company driver all these years I rarely get a chance to drive them. I've pretty much gotten used to road and engine noises, just turn up the stereo and they almost disapear, lol. The Freightshaker Century class did turn out to have a whole lot of problems from what I've heard but the Clasic XL is a pretty decent tractor http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...D4931702B00254

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPEED
    Everybody knows a Pete is a better made tractor but since I've been a company driver all these years I rarely get a chance to drive them. I've pretty much gotten used to road and engine noises, just turn up the stereo and they almost disapear, lol. The Freightshaker Century class did turn out to have a whole lot of problems from what I've heard but the Clasic XL is a pretty decent tractor http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...D4931702B00254
    You know it and I know it (and everyone who has driven a Pete or KW knows it), but the word I keep hearing is how Freightliner has turned around and makes "better" tractors than the PACCAR group. I certainly don't log the miles I used to and you sure see lot's of the Freightslimers on the road, but you would have to be on drugs (and good ones at that) to say they are even nearly as good as number 1 and number 2 (Pete & KW).

SPEED

You know it and I know it (and everyone who has driven a Pete or KW knows it), but the word I keep hearing is how Freightliner has turned around and makes "better" tractors than the PACCAR group. I certainly don't log the miles I used to and you sure see lot's of the Freightslimers on the road, but you would have to be on drugs (and good ones at that) to say they are even nearly as good as number 1 and number 2 (Pete & KW).
    I drove KW's for almost a year and never felt comfortable on long drives, I would get the worst stiff neck every time out.

The company I work for right now uses International & in the last couple years been moving over to Sterling (Ford) with Mercedes motors......they have the worst loud hum above a certain RPM http://www.sterlingtrucks.com/P.asp?...ion&Line=ALine

HondaGalToo

What? That's not nice, saying PETE is built like a tractor!

RRWANTR

Quote Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
    What? That's not nice, saying PETE is built like a tractor!
    Ok Ok...the tractor's built like PETE.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Abtech, who owns Freightliner now? If I'm thinking of the right company they were started in the WWII era in Salt Lake City, but they were purchased and moved away quite some time ago.
    Maybe it's a different company. Maybe I should just do a search.

EDIT: Yep, they're the ones. They were bought by Daimler-Benz in '81. I guess that's why they went in the sh1tter.
    Last edited by BDA116; 09-09-2005 at 3:37 PM.

SPEED

Quote Originally Posted by BDA116
    Abtech, who owns Freightliner now? If I'm thinking of the right company they were started in the WWII era in Salt Lake City, but they were purchased and moved away quite some time ago.
    Maybe it's a different company. Maybe I should just do a search.
    I'm not Abtech but here you go... http://www.forbes.com/2002/06/18/0618flint.html

Hammer

I used to drive OTR and drove a couple of different rigs but i've got to say Freightshaker is the closest thing to driving an 80k lb hay wagon i've ever seen. I drove a 660 Volve for about a year and a half and loved it. Long trips were a pleasure and the creature comforts were ok. If you are going from a largecar to a volvo as I did it takes some getting used to but it is worth it IMO. The torning radius is unbelieviable, about the same as a day cab. The ride was nice and very little noise, kins of like driving a passenger car. If I were to go back to OTR it would be in a Volvo.
    Last edited by Hammer; 03-05-2007 at 7:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast