V-nose trailer owners
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: V-nose trailer owners

EDDIE110171

V-nose trailer owners

Does a v-nose trailer actually give you better gas milage? I have been trying to get an answer on this for a while but, either the owner has changed tow vehicles with the 2 different trailers, or the trailers were different sizes.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

EDDIE110171

Re: V-nose trailer owners

See but even in there, alot of speculation, and no one who has pulled both with the same truck and same size trailer. Abtech makes a good point that semis would be utilizing them if they were better. But semis use skirts to help the trailer draft off of the truck. With a pickup pulling a enclosed trailer, the trailer is not drafting off the truck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep... It's open for more discussion. I just remembered asking that same thing, and remembered that previous discussion buried in another thread.

southpark460

Semi's can't afford the extra space that a V-nose would require. And they have those cowls on top (most of the time) that completes the "slipstream". There's no need to a semi trailer to have a v-nose to cut the air...

phobiaphobe

I think it would be more aerodynamic with the V on the back of the trailer. That's where the (fuel sucking) turbulence comes from.

sheepofblue

Quote Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
    I think it would be more aerodynamic with the V on the back of the trailer. That's where the (fuel sucking) turbulence comes from.
    I considered putting one of those semi-bumps on the bottom of my trailer door (won't interfere with ramp operation on the bottom) and see what it did for mileage

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
    +1 to Frenchy.

The front gives a better Cd, but more x-sectional area. The focus should be on the rear for milage.

EDDIE110171

They can put ramps into the v-nose, so just make a double v-nose with ramps on both ends.

sheepofblue

Quote Originally Posted by luvtolean
    +1 to Frenchy.

The front gives a better Cd, but more x-sectional area. The focus should be on the rear for milage.
    Optionally you could also treat the sides to reduce the drag.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would be curious about the added efficency with a streamlined trailer, with the ass end tapering to a nice point like the cone they put on the tail end of the space shuttle. Practial problems is alot of added length of unusable space. But a big 8' diameter Airstream looking trailer shaped like the belly drop tank of a P-38 would be very cool

phobiaphobe

Quote Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
    I would be curious about the added efficency with a streamlined trailer, with the ass end tapering to a nice point like the cone they put on the tail end of the space shuttle. Practial problems is alot of added length of unusable space. But a big 8' diameter Airstream looking trailer shaped like the belly drop tank of a P-38 would be very cool
    Unusable space? Hell no. Put a rack in there for the beer.