VW GTI towing capability?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VW GTI towing capability?

Nickelii

VW GTI towing capability?

I'm in the market for a new vehicle and today I drove the VW GTI. I like it, the price is good but I question if it can tow my 929 and my single bike trailer. The saleman says it can, but he is a car salesman. What do you guys think? Here's a picture of the trailer so you can have an idea of the weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VW GTI towing capability?-complete-002.jpg  

phobiaphobe

Re: VW GTI towing capability?

Couldn't find it on their website, but I can tell you that it has a 1032 lb payload.

sheepofblue

Should be in the owners manual

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't even tow Noodles on a skateboard with a small displacement turbo vehicle, let alone a VW.

phobiaphobe

Ya you're kind of asking for your transmission to pile up. Sure you don't want a small truck?

Kuss929

Would most likely want a transmission cooler then.
    I was looking for the same thing with my IS300 but I don't think I will do it.

gt702

How heavy is the trailer and bike combination? I'm assuming manual transmission. If so, then transmission loads/heat should not be an issue after moving assuming you aren't trying to go too fast with it. Check to see if the salesman can give you a towing capability ... maybe for the standard (non-GTI) version. That should give you an idea if it is reasonable.

For reference, I've been towing with my Ford Contour (low-torque 2.5L V6, manual transmission) for some years now. Both heavy (1500lb+) and light trailers (bike and single rail) with no issues. I have 115k miles on the original clutch and no issues related to towing. Just take it easy on the launch and drive at reasonable trailer speeds.

Durability really depends on how far, how often, and if there are any major hills in the route.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A WRX has a 1,750lb towing capacity, so I don't see why a GTI wouldn't be able to tow a bike on a small trailer.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It'll tow it. Almost every vehicle in Germany has a tow hitch on it. Don't sweat it.

What kind of trailer is that?

Nickelii

Quote Originally Posted by seamus
    What kind of trailer is that?
    Kendon

Northern RR

I tow two bikes (04 1000RR and an 05 GSX-R) on the back of a 2000 Honda prelude wih a 5 speed. I have trailered to the gap a couple of times and back through Penn and NY there are some pretty good sized hills through there.

Works great, you should have no problems.

stegen

isnt towing 500lbs like sticking a 500 lbs fat guy in your car?

Repeater

I would check to see what it would do to your warranty. some of the tow setups for the unibody compact cars are permanent. if the sales person says it is ok get something in writing if it is forbidden in the manual. The GTI is a nice cage.

Nickelii

Quote Originally Posted by stegen
    Thats what I would think, but then I'm the guy who started the thread so what does that really say

Northern RR

It is more like dragging a 500 pound guy behind your car but... lets not split hairs.

It will have a lot more of an effect on your cars handling and braking than simply putting some one of the heavier persuasion in your car. It changes the cars center of gravity and increases braking and acceleration distances

You will also have to look at your tongue weights on a smaller car as you don't want too much weight on the tongue(Mind you you also don't want to little)

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelii
    Thats what I would think, but then I'm the guy who started the thread so what does that really say
    No, because you're adding additional drag to the car.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I towed many long distances with my 01 Civic and just traded it last year with ~100+k on it and no issues. Granted most of the time it was about 800# total (trailer and bike and gear and and and...).

Granted it just freaks me out to think of doing it with a new 30k sportscar...you might be better off in the longrun just buying a 1500$ beater truck with a/c

Nickelii

Quote Originally Posted by SomeStrangeGuy
    I towed many long distances with my 01 Civic and just traded it last year with ~100+k on it and no issues. Granted most of the time it was about 800# total (trailer and bike and gear and and and...).

Granted it just freaks me out to think of doing it with a new 30k sportscar...you might be better off in the longrun just buying a 1500$ beater truck with a/c
    I am thinking that I'm going to keep my POS blazer to haul the bike stuff and maybe order a Mini. We'll see, I have time.

gt702

Quote Originally Posted by Northern RR
    It will have a lot more of an effect on your cars handling and braking than simply putting some one of the heavier persuasion in your car. It changes the cars center of gravity and increases braking and acceleration distances

You will also have to look at your tongue weights on a smaller car as you don't want too much weight on the tongue(Mind you you also don't want to little)
    For reference, a racing buddy pulled a GSXR600 back from Florida in a 4cyl Jetta, and was lifting the inside rear wheel through the Gap, with no issues.

I don't even feel my single rail trailer behind my Contour, and the hitch was bolt on to that. With my RC51 on the trailer, I actually have to add weight to the tongue of the trailer to get enough tongue weight because the trailer was designed around a shorter and lighter bike. Balance is important, and there are ways to achieve it.

CBRBob

Quote Originally Posted by stegen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast