Recommendations on open trailers?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on open trailers?

Johnny Diablo

Recommendations on open trailers?

I am looking at why I have a F150 sitting almost all year and I can easily replace it with a trailer and pull it with my Expy. So this leads me to looking for an 6ft long open trailer capable of say 2500lbs for overkill. I haul scooters to a San Fransisco rally yearly and would like to make Grattan some year. I would also like this to be able to haul plywood or sheetrock when the occasion infrequently arises.

Any suggestions on brand or what to look for when buying a open trailer? I would like it to be light enough to toss on its end for storage.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Recommendations on open trailers?

A steel utility trailer with a load rating of 2500 lbs is going to be awfully difficult to "toss on its end". I was going to recommend AlumaLite trailers, but their website is down (or they are out of business).
    I'll try to be nicer when you start trying to be smarter.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, that's over a ton. You sure you need that much?
    ...in bed.
    -------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

EDDIE110171

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Diablo View Post
    Any suggestions on brand or what to look for when buying a open trailer? I would like it to be light enough to toss on its end for storage.
    I would go with a 5x8 trailer with a ramp.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    A steel utility trailer with a load rating of 2500 lbs is going to be awfully difficult to "toss on its end". I was going to recommend AlumaLite trailers, but their website is down (or they are out of business).
    Seems they changed there company name to just Aluma...

Aluma LTD - Aluminum Utility Trailers, Aluminum Snowmobile Trailers, Aluminum Truck Beds, Aluminum Picnic Tables, Park Benches

gt702

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE110171 View Post
    if you want to be able to carry plywood. Usually the 4'ers (in my experience) are too narrow, and you'd be hanging off the end of a 6'er with a 4x8 sheet. If you don't mind hanging over and things not lying flat, then a 4x6 trailer is much easier to store and get around. A friend liked the fold up one he got from JCWhitney. Fairly inexpensive, seems to be well built, but you get to add the deck and carry a ramp.

I have a cheapo 5x8 with a mesh deck, but it is a little lightweight when loaded up with 2 VFR's, so I wouldn't recommend this brand (from Lowe's). Definitely too large to put on end.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE110171 View Post

schnogg

I bought one from harbor freight. 4x8, I had to put down my own bed on it, but it looks cool.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schnogg View Post
    I bought one from harbor freight. 4x8, I had to put down my own bed on it, but it looks cool.

Got any pics?

Mojave954

Quote Originally Posted by seamus View Post
    Got any pics?

Yeah what he said....

And cause you wouldn't want to see him when he is angry, you wouldn't like it when he was angry....

Hammer

I had one of the Harbor Freight ones years ago, just hauled a small plastic boat on it and it did fine with that but the wheels were too small to take on a long trip with bikes and gear on it IMO. If you get something heavy enough to hold up it will be too heavy to stand on it's end for storage.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have this one and am very happy with it. Its made by Big Tex, I got it from that trailer place on the west side of the 14 freeway near Acton on the way to Palmdale. Its a 5x8, has a 3200 pound axl, weight 750 pounds, and has full size 15" wheels. I didnt want something cheap, flimsey, and with tiny tires like the Harbor Freight or Home Depot gardening trailers. No way your going to "toss it on end" with anything with decent carrying capacity. I've hauled a Bridgeport Mill on this and a ton of rock on it and its done great. I'm happy with the size, it will hold sheets of plywood or sheetrock, two full size sport bikes, 3 dirt bikes, or one BMW GS1150 The swing down ramp is awesome, I would not own a trailer without it.

Mike

PS: when it cools off, lets get some riding in! Hey, you got a VFR...down for a Saddle Sore 1000 in October with me and Richard?
    Last edited by G-Force Junkie; 12-28-2006 at 12:24 AM.

DUX

Aluminum Trailers Snowmobile/ATV/Motorcycle/Utility/Cargo by Worthington Trailers

All-aluminum, wide ramp slides under the deck for storage. It hauls two VTX 1800 Retros with no problem. Don't know about tossing it on its end though.

I love mine, but might be selling it soon to get an enclosed.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie View Post
    I have this one and am very happy with it....
    I bought one similar to that from Tractor Supply except I have the wood floor.

Mojave954

Sweet G Force... Thanks for posting. I know the place you are talking about. Have to check it out if the place here in Palmdale doesn't have it. Got a model number or anything like that?

Gonna need something small enough to put in the garage cause with the way they are building house around here I ain't gonna get it in the backyard.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have this one and am very happy with it. Its made by Big Tex
    Identical to mine.

HondaGalToo

When I had an open trailer, it was a landscape one like G-Force's. I agree with what he said, if you get one light enough to sit on it's end for storage, it'll be flimsy and you won't be happy with the way it tows. A heavier landscape with the drop down ramp is the way to go.
    I think Kendon (?) makes a foldable storage trailer that's sturdy, but I think it may be a rail trailer, making it hard to haul plywood.
    Definitely get 15 inch wheels.
    I had a cheap flimsy rail trailer at first that was really made for dirtbikes or SkiDoos and trailering street bikes with it was pretty scary, even for just an hour or so. I wouldn't recommend cheap aluminum rail trailers. It flexed badly and weaved all over the place. Too light.

Johnny Diablo

G-Force

I forgot about your trailer. Heck I could toss my bike in yours when you head for Grattan. So out near Palmdale? About how much $$ should I plan on bringing to get one of those?

Pete, Those Aluma trailers look the bomb. Prices aren't listed but from a similar model Aluma... I am guessing $1500 for a 6 footer garden style (no rails)

G-Force, Sean, my jailer buddy, with the R1 has a group heading out for a ride from the crest to Wrightwood Saturday. Wanna go?

Purpdust

I have this one and am very happy with it. Its made by Big Tex, ...
    How weird is it that you have a trailer mad by BigTex and you are parked in front of Big Texan

Savageite

I have this one and am very happy with it. Its made by Big Tex, I got it from that trailer place on the west side of the 14 freeway near Acton on the way to Palmdale. Its a 5x8, has a 3200 pound axl, weight 750 pounds, and has full size 15" wheels. I didnt want something cheap, flimsey, and with tiny tires like the Harbor Freight or Home Depot gardening trailers. No way your going to "toss it on end" with anything with decent carrying capacity. I've hauled a Bridgeport Mill on this and a ton of rock on it and its done great. I'm happy with the size, it will hold sheets of plywood or sheetrock, two full size sport bikes, 3 dirt bikes, or one BMW GS1150 The swing down ramp is awesome, I would not own a trailer without it.

Mike

PS: when it cools off, lets get some riding in! Hey, you got a VFR...down for a Saddle Sore 1000 in October with me and Richard?
    If you don't mind me asking how much did your trailor cost?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast