trailer info
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: trailer info

baxsom

trailer info

I hope these havent been talked about before. I cant find them anywhere on here

Does anyone know anything about these.
    I am thinking about getting this to haul two bikes around and so far this seems like the best idea around, at least IMO anyway.

Motorcycle Trailer - 745TC-2TS76M Dual Motorcycle Trailer

Mojave954

Re: trailer info

A dirtbike and somewhere close but nothing over the long haul. Ya might want something a little more stable.

Do a search on trailers. There is a thread on here somewhere with tons of trailers.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I borrowed a friend's trailer that had the other transport system attached to it (Motorcycle Tie-Down System - MCK1).

Worked well. Wasn't fond of the hard straps that go through the front rims, but some chammy cloths sewn as strap savers kept the rims from being damaged.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

baxsom

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave954 View Post
    A dirtbike and somewhere close but nothing over the long haul. Ya might want something a little more stable.

Do a search on trailers. There is a thread on here somewhere with tons of trailers.

yeah i have been reading as many threads here that seem relevant.

i am a complete noob when it comes to towing bikes so i dont even know were to start

i was also looking into the 5x8s from lowes or harborfreight with 12" wheels
    and then installing wheel chocks

i see a lot of people using set ups like that how well do they work
    the closest track to me is 300 miles away

HondaGalToo

If you're going to be towing 300+ miles, definitely get something sturdier than a rail trailer. What are you using as a tow vehicle? I like landscape trailers with a drop down gate as it makes loading easier. I used to have a 6x12 that worked well and easily carried 2 bikes. For that kind of distance, get 15" wheels, too. I think 15, kinda the size of car tires. Those small wheels heat up too much. If you buy used, get the wheel bearings repacked.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
    ...I like landscape trailers with a drop down gate as it makes loading easier...
    Tractor Supply has decent trailers. I'm using one as an interim trailer until I build my own. Using 2x4s screwed into the wood floor as wheel chocks. Works just fine.

Once I finish my welding classes and build my own this winter, I'm selling the trailer.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baxsom View Post
    I hope these havent been talked about before. I cant find them anywhere on here

Does anyone know anything about these.
    I am thinking about getting this to haul two bikes around and so far this seems like the best idea around, at least IMO anyway.

I have that trailer, it's ok but it's not going to be fun tying down two heavy streetbikes on it. The frame isn't that rigid and it's just hard to load and secure the stuff on in general. Also very inexpensive construction.

My initial statement would be if you live in Texas, then you're closer to these guys then I am : Big Tex Trailers Home Page TRAILER - TRAILERS - Utility Equipment Trailers - Gooseneck Dump Trailers - Big Tex Trailers, home of the largest flatbed utility trailer and industrial equipment trailer manufacturer in the nation. BigTex can design and bu

I think I was originally pointed at them from this site, but they make some decent stuff. They also offer a few wheel/tire options with their smaller trailers (up to 14" I think) which I liked.

Just a quick peek at their site, I'd check pricing on something like this:
    Single Axle : 30SA TRAILER - TRAILERS - Utility Equipment Trailers - Gooseneck Dump Trailers - Big Tex Trailers, home of the largest flatbed utility trailer and industrial equipment trailer manufacturer in the nation. BigTex can design and build flat

Either that or your local home depot/lowes should have a decent supply, mine stocks Pace trailers and some landscape trailers from a local shop.

For the $$ and a really temporary solution - the trailer you posted will work, but I would personally rather spend a little more and have something you could use for other stuff from time to time rather then just a rail trailer, and also a trailer you could sell if the need arose.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DUX

Quote Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
    For that kind of distance, get 15" wheels, too. I think 15, kinda the size of car tires. Those small wheels heat up too much. If you buy used, get the wheel bearings repacked.

I still love my Worthington:
    Last edited by DUX; 07-27-2007 at 12:43 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DUX View Post

I still love my Worthington:
    I have seen that one in a three bike version that has a diamond plate rock shield in front of the bikes (a very good idea).

gt702

Quote Originally Posted by baxsom View Post
    yeah i have been reading as many threads here that seem relevant.

i am a complete noob when it comes to towing bikes so i dont even know were to start

i was also looking into the 5x8s from lowes or harborfreight with 12" wheels
    and then installing wheel chocks

i see a lot of people using set ups like that how well do they work
    the closest track to me is 300 miles away
    First thing you need to do is consider what all you want to use the trailer for (besides a bike ... and how many bikes, etc.), what you have to tow it with, and how often you will actually use it. If you tow a lot, or heavy things, then the suggestions here are good starts.

If you use it occassionally, and can put up with the "not perfect" parts of the options, then a cheaper/smaller trailer works great and is easier to store around the house.

I have a single-rail homemade unit with 8" wheels that works great and has gone very long distances (just keep the bearings lubed and don't over load it).

I also have a Lowes 5x8 untility trailer (mesh floor variant) I got for around $600. Decent trailer, but not great. It flexes a lot and the mesh on the floor has almost no strength ... yet I've trailered bikes many places and it is light enough to work behind my Ford Contour. This spring I had 2 VFR's on it from Ann Arbor, MI to Marrietta, OH and we travelled at about 75mph the whole way. And I just trailered 1 VFR from MI to Syracuse, NY. It worked fine in both cases ... even with the 12" wheels.

If you get the lightweight 5x8, an easy way to load the bikes is to make up a floor with chocks attached that you can put in when needed. I have a 4x8 sheet of plywood with 2 chocks mounted (one about 6" in front of the other so the handle bars don't bang). This provides a secure floor to stand on and distribute tire loads (lined the tires up to sit on the cross bars), and can be removed and stored against a wall in the garage.

Not perfect, but works, was cost effective, and I've used it for many other things. Eventually, when I get my tow vehicle sorted out, I might get a nice enclosed trailer, but I can wait.

baxsom

this seems like what i am probably going to do
    either the utility motorcycle specific trailer i posted earlier or the lowes thing

main reason is i am not hauling anything other than a motorcycle maybe 2-3 times a year. i live in san antonio and the closets track is in college station 3 maybe 4 hours away

if a 700 dollar trailer makes 3 trips per year for the next 2-3 years i am going to be in san antonio then i think it will be ok

now i just need to find some used plastics to take with me to swap out

DUX

Quote Originally Posted by abtech View Post
    I have seen that one in a three bike version that has a diamond plate rock shield in front of the bikes (a very good idea).

It's actually a two-bike trailer, although you could probably tow 3 dirt-bikes easily. If you look on mine, there's a center chock for when you're only towing one bike.

The rock-guard was extra. So far, no complaints.

baxsom

well they market it for sportbikes

here is the email that they sent me

Either of the trailer kits that you mentioned will haul the two sport bikes. The two motorcycles will fit tight on the 832TA. The main advantage of 745TC is additional clearance and space for more cargo such as gas cans and gear. Also a wider wheelbase and heavier trailer body gives the 745TC more stability in extreme road or driving conditions.

Motorcycle Trailer - 832TA-2TS76M Dual Motorcycle Trailer

i am going to go with the bigger of the two which is the same base they use for their three bike trailer as well

Search tags for this page

honda big red on a 5x8 trailer?

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.