Motorcycle towing?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Pioneer Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle towing?

RiotSauce

Motorcycle towing?

I know the best answer is "know a buddy with a truck and trailer" but is there any good motorcycle "AAAesque" companies? I had AAA in PA and me and my father both have bikes... When my dad bought the AAA + they told him specifically that it covered motorcycles... In the 5 or so years we had it, I was the first to get my bike towed a few weeks ago with my whole electrical dilema... when it was time to pay the bill, AAA blew us off and pretty much played the "we don't know what you're talking about... we never said that we covered bikes" -- I know my dad isnt a liar... and it was a brief bonus of the AAA+ -- He requested during the conversation with the agent for bike coverage... So I guess we wont be using AAA anymore... any suggestions?

DBX Graphics

Re: Motorcycle towing?

In Pa, IIRC, you have to pay for an extra fee for a "recreational" vehicle. (motorcycles, mobile homes etc) The first year its a bogus extra fee, but after that I think you can renew only the recreational coverage.

Double check with your local AAA office but thats the way my buddy in Philly broke it down for me based on what he has. I have my own trailer, and also have a decent network of "buddies w/trailers" so I dont worry about it as much.

hope that helps

CBR_954_RR

I dont know of any, but i just wanted to say that i had the same exact thing happen. My dad had AAA+ and during our ride to vegas, my bike broke down. Called AAA and they said, "Sorry, but that doesnt cover bikes." Ended up sitting in the middle of the Mojave desert for 2 hours in 115*...no more AAA for me, so id be interested in this as well...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PioneerForums.com
    Advertisements

rokitt51

Been there with AAA, Sprint and T Mobile. I specifically asked each time if bikes were covered and each time told yes. In the end twice i was screwwed. Once i needed gas, and the other was for a tire. That money gone for no service at all.

DBX Graphics

I've personally assisted in loading my buddy's bike onto a flatbed on I-476. We were still a few hours out of Philly. AAA covered it all, except for the drivers tip.

I think the AMA and Honda Rider's Club offers roadside assistance. HRC has one year free membership with the purchase of a new bike. I'll double check to see how HRC's service was with another friend who may have used it.

Hurricane_rdr

I had a motorcycle knocked down and dragged up the bed of a tow truck dispatched by AAA for my bike once and have never made that mistake again. The guy would have done fine with a car but ended up doing a few thousand dollars in damage to my bike.
    It was then I learned if you ask some motorcycle dealerships and custom shops around you there is usually a local place that specializes in only motorcycles and that's the way to go. In arizona there's a place I use called precision bike towing and they do a great job. Here's their site: AZ motorcycle towing
    Last edited by Hurricane_rdr; 04-02-2008 at 5:46 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DBX Graphics View Post
    I've personally assisted in loading my buddy's bike onto a flatbed on I-476. We were still a few hours out of Philly. AAA covered it all, except for the drivers tip.

I think the AMA and Honda Rider's Club offers roadside assistance. HRC has one year free membership with the purchase of a new bike. I'll double check to see how HRC's service was with another friend who may have used it.
    It is the HRCA not HRC. Also, starting recently, HRCA does not provide towing.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
    It is the HRCA not HRC. Also, starting recently, HRCA does not provide towing.
    I heard that was only on a lower level membership and that you can still get towing for about an extra $10 a year. No substantiation on that though, just what I heard from a friend last week.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
    I heard that was only on a lower level membership and that you can still get towing for about an extra $10 a year. No substantiation on that though, just what I heard from a friend last week.
    You heard wrong, I received a letter. I found a copy on the Internet, read it here:
    http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...HRCALetter.jpg
    That pretty much tells me, no towing. If you want it, get HondaCare.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The HondaCare must be what my friend meant.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pricelister

Honda Rider Club of America includes Roadside Assistance/Towing in their membership. I also get 10% off at my Honda dealer.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Honda Rider Club of America includes Roadside Assistance/Towing in their membership.

I have it and have used it more than once..

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Please click the above link, HRCA will ONLY provide towing until your current membership expires. When you renew, you WILL NOT have towing. If you want towing, you will NEED HondaCare. I repeat, HRCA no longer provides towing.

Just in case you don't believe the above link, try this one:
    American Honda Announces New Roadside Assistance Program

"American Honda Announces New Roadside Assistance Program
    HPP - 4/16/2008

Honda riders across the nation will now have access to Roadside Assistance protection provided through American Honda. Later this month, Honda dealerships will begin offering HondaCare Roadside Assistance via Honda Protection Plans, American Honda¹s Extended Service Contract. HondaCare Roadside Assistance provides Honda riders with an industry leading level of benefits for On-Road motorcycle and scooter coverage, spanning a larger service area:

> Choice of Towing Benefits

- Towing to the nearest Honda Dealer, regardless of distance

- Towing to any Honda Dealer or the customer¹s residence within 30 miles

> Multi-year coverage at discounted rates

> Covers any person riding the motorcycle with the owner¹s consent

> Roadside assistance covers the United States, Canada and Mexico through the services of more than 45,000 providers

> Purchase with HondaCare Protection or alone

> Distributors Limited Warranty is covered by Roadside Assistance- 1 year of

Roadside Assistance purchased with 1 year of HondaCare Protection will provide 2 years of Roadside Assistance.

To get all the details regarding HondaCare Roadside Assistance, riders can simply visit their local Honda dealership."

HondaGalToo

Quote Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
    I've had a membership with them for years and thankfully have never had to use them. They are for motorcycles specifically, so they will tow it correctly. I think, if you're an AMA member, that you can get towing from them through this company for less $.

spincycletowing

Sorry to here about your bad experience from AAA.

I'm new to this site and I will try to explain how these roadside assistance companies work. Heres the deal: For a motorcycle to be covered under your AAA plan you must request the AAA Plus "RV" pakage. It takes about 7 days to take effect and is usually only an additional $20 a year if you already have AAA plus! Usually you find this out when your on the side of the road, stuck!!! We strictly tow motorcycles and you can request us by name "Spin Cycle Motorcycle Towing" .

We handle Honda roadside, HOG, Kawasaki, and all major manufaturer's roadside assistance plans, even Moto Guzzi and BMW. We can actually handle the call for you by setting up whats called a "direct call". This is where we contact your roadside assistance company and put all the paperwork through for you. From what we've discovered, AAA actually has the best and furthest coverage. They cover you for 4 tows out of the year, they cover you not just the motorcycle (which is what a lot of roadside assistance companies don't do!), and they cost a lot less than a lot of comparable roadside assistance plans.

We are a preferred service provider for AMA Motow and GWRRAA (I think this is the GoldWing riders association). The most I have seen them cover is 100 miles. The only other company that I've seem with better coverage is provided by Harley Davidson and BMW where they will not only pay for the tow, but they will pay for storage charges and hotel bills if your bike has to be held over the weekend. Pretty good for Harley riders, not sure if Honda has soemthing like this. Any questions please feel free to email at [email protected].
    Last edited by spincycletowing; 06-01-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Adding more detail and contact information.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now that is some good advice. So do you put bike or RV down on the paperwork?

spincycletowing

Check "RV" Coverage. You can even do it over the phone with a credit card. They are usually pretty helpful. I see you are from Texas. You should have some towing companies that strictly handle motorcycles there. Unfortunately we are in New Jersey, a little far for us to get out there. We hope to be franchising soon so that anywhere in the lower 48 you go, you can request us by name. (I know its a long shot...only Hoop Dreams at this point!).

spincycletowing

Oh, by the way lanbrown, we are also a contractor for MTS "Motorcycle towing services". They're pretty decent, but not too many contractors deal with these guys because it takes forever to get paid by them.

User Error

24/7 Roadside Assistance! Road America, H.O.G., Geico, Cross-Country, Honda Riders Club, G. E. Motorclub, Progressive, State Farm, Safeco.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast