Honda Pioneer Forums banner

4 corner wide vs skinny/wide tire combo

13K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  olivecrossbones 
#1 ·
has anyone that upgraded/replaced their factory tires with larger aftermarket tires, went with all 4 wide tires vs a skinny/wide combo? i really like the look better with all 4 same sized tires. i also feel with the added weight of a side x side this should help in the mud.
i know it will potentiallty make turning harder and also put more wear and tear on the front axles, but the factory tires on my unit were all dunlop 25x10x12 kt869's which measure 10.25" wide. so accept for back spacing, i do not really see any problems.

#2 ·
I went with 26x12 in the rear and 26x9 in the front and found the front kept sinking on muddy trails. Also the 9" tires on front looked off. In the end I went 26x12 on all four corners and have had no issues at all with rubbing or sinking. I am running the 12x7 ITP SS212 rims with a 5+2 offset.

Here is a shot with the 9's in the front.

And with the 12's in the front.

#3 ·
glad to see someone else joined the club. i also did the same thing. every time i looked at my BR it just looked funny with those little tires on the front. so i went with 4 28x12x14 outlaw radial tires and i love them. they ride good and boy do they grab. they help me kind of float across mud instead of plowing through it. in 2 wheel drive i see no difference in steering. with all 4 locked it is noticeably harder to turn. i do get the occasional rub, but it is usually when i am in a messed up angle with the wheel turned. with the performance upgrades i made i see no power gain/lose. i really feel that anyone changing their tires ought to look into all 4 wide!

#8 ·
glad to see someone else joined the club. i also did the same thing. every time i looked at my BR it just looked funny with those little tires on the front. so i went with 4 28x12x14 outlaw radial tires and i love them. they ride good and boy do they grab. they help me kind of [URL=" http://motorfiend.com/"]car parts[/URL] across mud instead of plowing through it. in 2 wheel drive i see no difference in steering. with all 4 locked it is noticeably harder to turn. i do get the occasional rub, but it is usually when i am in a messed up angle with the wheel turned. with the performance upgrades i made i see no power gain/lose. i really feel that anyone changing their tires ought to look into all 4 wide!
Can you give me an update on how this worked out for you? Did the consist rubbing cause any problems for you or not? I plan on doing this.. So I'm just kinda curious, thanks in advance!

#4 ·
Whats the stock offset on the 2011? I have an 11 and i want to go to itp 14" wheels with probably 28" tires. Everytime i look to buy wheels i dont know what to get with all the different offsets. I just got the highlift lift kit and am itching to get some new shoes on my big red.

#7 ·
IT VERY RARELY HAPPENS. NOT REALLY SURE BECAUSE IT IS WHEN I AM TURNING AND DIGGING THE FRONT IN. LIKE GOING INTO A DITCH OR DOWN A HILL. IT DOESNT RUB WHEN I TURN, SO I HAD TO GUESS IT IS BECAUSE OF HEIGHT. I ORDERED SOME HIGHLIFTER SPRINGS TODAY. HOPEFULLY THAT TAKES CARE OF IT.

#9 ·
I am admittedly a bit of a novice in understanding tires and rims for my BR. I have a 2009 BR with stock rims and tires (Dunlop 25x10x12 KT953). I am looking to replace them with slightly larger tires as I think the small stock tires and rims make the BR look like a Hippo (which is what we call it). I am not looking to Monster Truck - max them out or create any rubbing, or power problems. We do not do that kind of trail riding where we are regularily trying to climb the Grand Canyon. I have settled on PT Growlers tires(radials) which come in a 25 1/2x10x12 which measure an actual 26". They also come in a 26 1/2x11x12 which measure an actual 27". I am looking to use all four tires of the same size. I have also settled on ITP SS 108 Alloy wheels. It would appear that sfrankland might have a similar set-up once you went to all four tires the same size (just different ITP wheels.) My questions are: are the 26 1/2 x11x12 ok (none of the rubbing, power problems etc.) and what SS108 wheel size would I order? I don't totally understand the offset issue but do not want to get something that would create problems later on like premature bearing wear out. If I sound pretty conservative, I am. I think possibly sfrankland may have the direct answer to my questions but would appreciate anyones input.
Thanks in advance

#11 ·
I was waiting for someone else to respond but I guess its not going to happen. The stock offset is 5-2. As for the wider tires in the front I ran my all spring/summer and have had no issues with them at all. My wife even drove the bike on a 60Km run on logging roads and found them easy to turn and found them to be a good riding tire on the hard pack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.