Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to go up to leathers (from a textile suit) and was looking at the Alpinestars GPU vs Motogp. Seems most guys rave about the quality of the GPU suit- that it has features for the price. I saw the MotoGP suits for 30% off, which would make it $600. I'm not sure the model (might be the compression suit but not sure) but this suit has Kangaroo leather, claimed to be stronger than cowhide. At that discount, that's about the same as the GPU.

Anyone have any pro's or cons to either suit?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Get the MotoGp suit. For the $, it can't be beat, it's an excellent suit. I'll be picking one up soon. Where are you seeing 30% off?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the GPU and have crash tested it. It's a good suit and you could do much worse. That said, I'm curious about the MotoGp suits. I can't speak to their quality, but wouldn't hesitate to get one next time.

HD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ditto on crash testing my GPU...decent mid-range suit for the money. Nothing to rave about, but it fits well, and has proven to offer reasonable protection... :twocents:

Don't know anything about the MGP stuff, but personally I couldn't bring myself to wear something that actually said "MotoGP" on it... :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
deez said:
Get the MotoGp suit. For the $, it can't be beat, it's an excellent suit. I'll be picking one up soon. Where are you seeing 30% off?
LA Cycle has them for $850 and they are 30% off. But I didn't check which model. It looks like the compression suit but I'm not sure. And I've since read that it's illegal to sell the kangaroo in CA. But those may be a combined cowhide/kangaroo. Maybe that's why it's on sale!

The suit is a nice quality but it's heavy (even though kangaroo is lighter) because of the armor and padding. It has lots of padding for the back, much more than the A*.

Baketech, I hear ya. But there are lots of guys who wear that suit around here so I won't stand out. But if that's the price of protection... It looks like I can't go wrong with either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well as it turns out MotoGP makes two compression suits that are almost the same except one is kangeroo the other is cowhide. That was the catch and why they can sell her in CA. Still it looks like a good suit that I think I will go for at that price. Actually, the cowhide breathes better than kangeroo so it will be more comfortable for more of the year here in LA.

Edit: the suits that are 30% off are only the ones in stock. They don't have my size so looks like I'll go A*.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
todao said:
Well as it turns out MotoGP makes two compression suits that are almost the same except one is kangeroo the other is cowhide. That was the catch and why they can sell her in CA. Still it looks like a good suit that I think I will go for at that price. Actually, the cowhide breathes better than kangeroo so it will be more comfortable for more of the year here in LA.

Edit: the suits that are 30% off are only the ones in stock. They don't have my size so looks like I'll go A*.
You CAN get the kangaroo suits here in CA...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I crash tested a Kangroo Moto GP suit with a 50+mph lowside into the gravel. The suit held up fine, in fact In still wearing it and you can't even tell I went down. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks xraycatj, that's a good read. I actually came across Helmet Harbor site and talked with them on the phone and was very impressed with their focus on quality.

I decided to go with the A* GPU. As it turned out the MotoGP was the cowhide version (still a quality suit but not kangaroo) and the 30% off (which made the suit about $600) was only on suits in stock. I'm a 44 and they only had 46 and 48.

Still I think I got the last A* GPU suit size 44 in the country (black/grey cuz that's the one that's vented). A* is coming out with a new design and closed out the GPU and no one had them except that Ducati shop in Glendale. Last 44 there was. As I was there, trying it on, a guy called up looking for that exact same suit.

I'm one happy camper!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
+1 for helmet harbor. They actually seem to care which amazes me for a cycle company most don't and it's nice to see someone do some type of testing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
todao said:
Thanks xraycatj, that's a good read. I actually came across Helmet Harbor site and talked with them on the phone and was very impressed with their focus on quality.

I decided to go with the A* GPU. As it turned out the MotoGP was the cowhide version (still a quality suit but not kangaroo) and the 30% off (which made the suit about $600) was only on suits in stock. I'm a 44 and they only had 46 and 48.

Still I think I got the last A* GPU suit size 44 in the country (black/grey cuz that's the one that's vented). A* is coming out with a new design and closed out the GPU and no one had them except that Ducati shop in Glendale. Last 44 there was. As I was there, trying it on, a guy called up looking for that exact same suit.

I'm one happy camper!
Yep, A while back I bought a Shoei (Shoei helmet thread last year) and they were super helpful explaining the differences between helmets; so my next helmet will definitely be purchased from them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Because of the talk of cow vs kangaroo, I went a head and tested my Moto GP suit with a 150+ mph semi-high side get off. :D The suit held up fine, but I didn't fare as well. :rotfl: :( The corner workers said that they have never seen anyone slid as far as I did on the asphalt! I would have been semi-sort of OK, but my left arm got stuck under my body and all my weight was on it. :rant: :D :crap:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
K9inAZ said:
Because of the talk of cow vs kangaroo, I went a head and tested my Moto GP suit with a 150+ mph semi-high side get off. :D The suit held up fine, but I didn't fare as well. :rotfl: :( The corner workers said that they have never seen anyone slid as far as I did on the asphalt! I would have been semi-sort of OK, but my left arm got stuck under my body and all my weight was on it. :rant: :D :crap:
Wow, K9inAZ, I didn't need to know the difference that bad. lol But glad you've contributed to the greater body of roo vs. cow knowledge.

I hope you're ok- what happened to your arm? Is everything else ok?

I went out today with the A* suit on for the first time and it's a load more confidence than my JR textile suit.

Mend quick!

·
Registered
21 Posts
K9inAZ said:
do you have the cow or roo version?

hope you ain't hurt too bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts