Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I am planning on riding my future bike in the rain. I looked at alpinestars and the rain weather outfit they wanted way too much and it only goes over your stuff. I want a 2 peice that zips together and is water tight. I am looking for a helmet, probably shoei or arai, both are not cheap at all ($500) I need boots, alpinestars didn't look bad at all. What all weather gear should I invest in? I don't want the stuff that goes over normal riding gear. Not like below: It is Alpinestars 360 over suit for rain but does not provide protection, correct me if i'm wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quick question: Will it provide protection if I crash? Will it be cool if I'm riding in the heat? And, is it expensive?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that what you use? Will the alpinestars 360 weather suit made for going over something protective, or will it protect too?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a First Gear rain suit that I carry, that fits over my other gear. Haven't gotten an Aerostich yet, but it's on my list.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
which way would you go: Buying nice riding suit, then buy rain gear and wear that over the suit? OR buy the suit you listed above for much more?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am in the desert. Not much rain falls here. But, I am enjoying the thread cause, I have been thinking about this as well. It mostly rains in the afternoon here without warning and it is a B*#ch when you are stuck in it cause you road to work that morning and now....:rant:

So please, continue. Don't pay any attention to the peanut gallery. :smilebig:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a First Gear rain suit that I carry, that fits over my other gear. Haven't gotten an Aerostich yet, but it's on my list.
:plus1:

My First Gear suit worked GREAT last week during a five hour ride in the rain. Also had the Alpinestars SR-3 gloves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When referring to rain gear, do you mean motorcycle $$$$$$$$$ rain gear, or do you mean standard cheap yellow waterproof jacket?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How well does it work for you? I saw the price and was emmediately hooked
I bought the same set-up as Conq from the same store. It works very well.

The less-expensive suits are made from PVC, which doesn't breathe very well. The Rainman is made of Nylon and wasn't bad at all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I actually won mine in a drawing at a local dealership grand opening about 4 years ago. The suit is still in excellent condition too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, it's much cheaper to buy a nice set of riding gear and rain gear that goes over it, than to buy an expensive rain gear set. Since we are on the discussion, do you wear your riding gear if you are going to work or school or whatever and then change your clothes? What riding jacket and pants do you recommend? I mostly want a 2 peice but the zipper might break or wear out before the suit does, is 1 peice suit better? What riding boots do you wear, or any at all? What do you recommend and what do you not?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks, it's much cheaper to buy a nice set of riding gear and rain gear that goes over it, than to buy an expensive rain gear set. Since we are on the discussion, do you wear your riding gear if you are going to work or school or whatever and then change your clothes? What riding jacket and pants do you recommend? I mostly want a 2 peice but the zipper might break or wear out before the suit does, is 1 peice suit better? What riding boots do you wear, or any at all? What do you recommend and what do you not?
Zippers are replaceable, I have had mine for 5-6 years and the ones on my leathers still works fine. When it doesen't, I'll get it fixed.

I ride to work in a pair of jeans and a textile jacket w/race boots. When I get there I have a pair of sneakers/shoes that I wear, then swap back. I have a small packable tour master rainsuit (nylon) that I keep with me that works pretty well in the wet stuff.

Most of the time if Im on a casual/klr ride its joe rocket textiles (see their alter-ego lineup) and some work boots that Im comfortable with or my sidi's depending where I will be going. Sidi's dont grip so good in mud.

If Im on a track or street day on the sportbike its Vanson leathers (2pc) and Sidi race boots.

Gear is like bikes...you can never have too much but you can have too little. I have been at this awhile now and I can still tell you "things I need" from the latest rider wearhouse catalog, and I have roughly 3 helmets I go between, 5 pairs of gloves, 3 pairs of pants, 4 jackets, and the leathers. Bear in mind this is between dirt and street riding that I do...but what Im getting at is as long as you arent buying multiples of something, you can't have too much.

A good start would be these two items:
Joe Rocket Meteor 5.0 Textile Motorcycle Jacket
Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 Textile Motorcycle Pants

You can play around with the other makes/models on that site, but if your learning to ride and going to be falling down a bit, that stuff should shrug it off without much issue. It will be warm to ride in unless your moving though, but if you go more vented you are going to give up some durability.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts