Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Archos AV420 for recording with a bike cam. I used mine and I think the vibration may have messed up the hard drive. I want another one I just want to find a way to mount it to minimize vibration.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i would get some nice thick foam padding, cut out proper spacer for under the mount and bolt down mount, at least thats what i would do. rubber washers for bolts would be nice too. p.s. cut bolts down so that they bottom out just as they start to tighten on cam mount, if the foam gets squished too much it will counteract the cusioning effect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LUCIDDREAM57 said:
i would get some nice thick foam padding, cut out proper spacer for under the mount and bolt down mount, at least thats what i would do. rubber washers for bolts would be nice too. p.s. cut bolts down so that they bottom out just as they start to tighten on cam mount, if the foam gets squished too much it will counteract the cusioning effect.
I also figured mounting it close to the center of the bike to minimize motion...but where could I mount it...it also has to have a bit of a stealth look to it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run a Sony cam in the RC at the track in a piece of chair seat foam folded in half (in the trunk) :idunno:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sheepofblue said:
I run a Sony cam in the RC at the track in a piece of chair seat foam folded in half (in the trunk) :idunno:
The only thing is that this is a DVR and may not hold up as well as a regular cam...I wanted to keep it away from the extreme ends of the bike and since my bike barely has a trunk anyway it may not work...thanks though...I may just have to take another chance and run it by the headlight and hope it holds up...no more mounting on the clip ons...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've seen tank cam mounts that go onto the fuel cap bolts, i thought thats where yours was to begin with??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I mounted mine on the left clip on...it was just a test run...I wanted to mount it below the guage cluster but I didnt have a way to secure it so I just did a quick tape to the clip on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
below the gauge cluster???? thats right behind the headlamp assembly??? above would be better i think?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is no room above...there is a small gap between the steering head and the guage cluster...I dont want to obscure the gauges so I would mount the top of the Archos unit to the bottom of the guage cluster so it would be facing me in the same manner as the guage cluster. (The screen goes blank even while recording after a few seconds so I wont be distracted by it).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
why not mount it external of the plastics, how big is it? perhaps right under the nose of front fairing would be a good place, as long as suspension dive doesn't cause the front fender to hit it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm confused, is this a track bike? how can the camera see through the fairings and headlamp if it's under the gauges??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The cam pokes through the hole in the mesh below the headlights...the recording device is the AV420 which is connected to it by RCA cables.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ahh, the camera is external of the recording device!!! why not get rca cable adapters longer cable and run the cable the the trunk, there you can mount it nice and secure with plenty of padding. wait, will the 1000rr trunk hold it??? hmm.

edit, or in the tray under the seat if theres room, i've never been under a 1000rr seat..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i've been watching this on ebay for a while and am thinking about getting one for the same reason. have you tried hooking up a helmet camera to it? i called there tech support and got some dumb broad that didn't seem to even know what a pvr was.. anyway she told me only the av500 would work with a helmet cam. but also they sell a cam that only works with the av500 so who knows..

also how is the video camera on it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The cam actually works well with the Archos AV420 but that was only when I had the cam hooked up at home and not on the bike. The pics were very clear when I hooked it up to the bike...but I was in a rush so I just taped it to the clip on and when I stopped there was an error...I assume it was the vibration.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LUCIDDREAM57 said:
ahh, the camera is external of the recording device!!! why not get rca cable adapters longer cable and run the cable the the trunk, there you can mount it nice and secure with plenty of padding. wait, will the 1000rr trunk hold it??? hmm.

edit, or in the tray under the seat if theres room, i've never been under a 1000rr seat..
There is no room at all...especially with the PCIII and the tool kit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quinc said:
i've been watching this on ebay for a while and am thinking about getting one for the same reason. have you tried hooking up a helmet camera to it? i called there tech support and got some dumb broad that didn't seem to even know what a pvr was.. anyway she told me only the av500 would work with a helmet cam. but also they sell a cam that only works with the av500 so who knows..

also how is the video camera on it?
The AV500 will work with an external cam. One of the companies that sells these cams actually has the AV500 in one of their packages.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmm, where to put it, hmm....... perhaps on the inside of the side fairing near where the front turnsignals are. there should be room in there and it's not too hot, also it's easy to get a hand in there to grab it. maybe a nice pocket could be fabricated (or modify the cam case to secure it to the fairing) and then you could drop it in and pull a strap over the top.......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts