Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Recently purchased and installed this weekend the Bison Rear Bumper from ATVenture Components. To dip onto my YOOPER language; we gots' da good news and we gots' da bad news...
:thumb:First, da good news - bumper appears to be very well made, matches the OEM front bumper perfectly and looks great on BR.
:thumbd:Now, we gots' da bad news - installation was nothing like announced in ad's or described on the instructions. The claim is that it is simply a matter of a 4 bolt-on process through holes that are already predrilled on the BR frame. The 4 bolt part is true but the 4 holes already to be found pre-drilled on the BR frame was a myth on my BR. There were only 2 holes, both of which were smaller than the bolts provided. 2 holes where 4 holes are required = DRILLING! In addition, the holes pre-drilled into the bumper needed to be redrilled larger to allow the bolts to pass through. When all of this was determined after much placement, replacement and analysis :rant:(WTF's) by myself and two adult sons (one of which is a master mechanic; the other of which is a master supervisor/advisor/critic), we drilled and bolted on the bumper in the first two existing holes and then used the bumper for location and drilling of the second two holes. This required two of us to hold the bumper in position while the third mechanic of our group did the drilling. The drilling could not be started until each of the tail light assemblies were dropped down in order to allow the drill to get into the proper position. The instructions list 3 steps, one of which was just putting plastic caps into the ends of the bumper tubes and ends with "It's that easy you're done!" While my sons labor was free, the actual installation was of sufficient length and effort that by the time it was finished, my supply of beer was severely depleted and also saw a plate of sandwiches, supplied by my wife, be devoured as well. A list of Tools Required initially being two wrenches:nono: became a workshop cart and floor full of drills, bits, drill batteries, floor creeper, pliers, several screwdrivers, zip ties and hammers. However, I am happy to report that no welding, hand forging operation or cut-off grinders ever came into play. While my Grandson waited patiently for his promised trail ride with Grandpa and hearing the same refrain of "this should only take 5 minutes" he eventually went into the house with his Grandma and made and ate birthday cake.:idunno:
Did I mention that all of this occurred after we had completed the oil filter change process. More on that episode on another thread.
All in all, a 4 bolt-on installation goes well as long as you have a workshop full of tools, a labor pool of 3 people, a refrigerator full of food and drink, a full time cook and bartender and a Grandson who will trade his trail ride for birthday cake!:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
I installed the Honda rear bumper (08P53HL1200) earlier in the year. It required no extra bolts. The most rearward bolt attach to the pivot point for the bed, using an 8mm as I recall. For forward bolt was 6 mm as I recall. If needed I can snap some pictures of the install, going from memory it was about 30 minutes to install with no lining up or drilling necessary.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rear Bumper pictures by olivecrossbones - Photobucket
I had previously described in this thread the trials and tribulations of installing the rear bumper on my Hippo made by Bison Bumpers/ATVentures and Accessories. Attached is not a picture of that bumper but rather a picture of an installed second identical bumper. The first bumper is hanging in the workshop as a memorial to it's toughness. While trail riding in the Copper Country of Michigan's Upper Penninsula, I pulled over to the side of the trail, shut off the engine and began to ponder my map. After some time had past we were bumped forward by another 4wheeler who hit the corner of the bumper, careened further off into the woods, ran head on over the top of a large (bigger than a breadbox) boulder and came to rest in front of a tree snag large enough to stop a truck. Apparent trouble with this machines' brakes was the claim. I respectfully requested this machine and our friend travel in front of me for the remainder of the trip.
I am happy and grateful to report that the bumper carried out it's assigned duty in that nothing else was damaged including tail lights, box etc.:thumb: The bumper tube was bent in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the outer end but nothing else could be seen. As a matter of fact, no one knew but me that the bumper was bent until I informed my wife when we arrived home.
It should also be noted that this second bumper, while much easier to install, was once again sent with bolts that were larger than the holes predrilled into the bumper and required additional drilling to make the holes large enough.
Morale of the story: park behind large standing trees and huge boulders before checking your map when riding with friends with no brakes!:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.