Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a REALY good helmet. Something that would be comfy for everyday use and for travel. I would specificly like if it was made out of Carbon Fiber. Price range is $1000 - $1300. ANY advice would be apriccieted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A mate of mine bought a Craft carbon lid and after about three weeks this crack appeared from nowhere, scary :thumbd:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you talking USD ?

Vemar made a really nice carbon helmet. I'm not sure if they are still in business though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out this website to look for reviews and specs on helmets..

Home | Helmet Harbor

Helmet Harbor knows their stuff when it comes to helmet knowledge. They personally test every helmet and they ride with them. They are in the hotest climate ( Southern Arizona ) so when they say something vents good, you know it does because summer riding here gets over 110 degrees F.

Advertisements | | Helmet Harbor

· Registered
134 Posts
:plus1:

Don't knock this helmet because it's an HJC. This is an incredible helmet. And it's less than $500.

:plus1: I have found at least two separate reviews where the writers said they like it better than the Arai's that cost twice as much. I had a couple Arai's on my head last week and wasn't impressed, especially with their stupid visor lock. I think HJC and Shoei both have better set-ups for their visor.

You'll have to look hard to even find a $1000 dollar helmet if you are talking USD. BMW has a CF helmet that is around $900 but it got worse ratings than the HJC as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, I have the non-carbon version of the HJC AC-12 and absolutely love it. One of the most comfortable helmets I've ever worn. It's fiberglass, not polycarbonate.

· Registered
134 Posts
At just shy of 4 pounds, this is the heaviest helmet we've reviewed; heavier even than the Vega Summit XPV with its flip-open mechanism.

But having to poke one's finger into the top part of the vent to be able to grip the visor is cumbersome and makes something as simple as opening and closing the visor much more complicated than it should be

We're surprised that Schuberth can claim to have worked so hard on noise control and still have this basic flaw. This is one area in which we're sorely disappointed by the S1. Not only is the S1 not the "quietest helmet in the world", it's not even close.

This is the first helmet I've personally tried that is so heavy and big that it actually gives me a sore neck and back strain.

The S1's sun shade distorts my vision enough to give me a slight headache.

Conclusion
Is this the "ultimate helmet"? We don't think so. Although nicely conceived and very well made, there are some features that just don't work for us. The S1 is too big and much too heavy. The noise levels, while not unacceptable, are much higher than we expected, especially considering the price and the design. While it may appear that we're being too hard on the S1, its high price justifies a very close look, and any faults that might have been overlooked in a helmet costing less become ,much more serious.

Those are some of the comments on the S1. The complete review can be found here

Schuberth S1 Helmet - webBikeWorld

There are a lot of helmets that they say nicer things about.​

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to work at a bike shop, we sold all kinds of helmets. I understand you want to spend a lot due to the gift factor, but the HJC carbon helmet is great. It is light, vents ok, and looks awesome. with the extra money you could get some leathers, if the gift is for safety, or some stuff for your bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Helmet choice shouldn't really be just about the composites. If it's a gift, it may not fit the person's head the way it should and not all brands fit all people. Take Arai, their helmets don't fit right on everyone, even though they are a top notch helmet. Many stores will only give you back a portion of your money on a used helmet return or none at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good point fastrr, you should definately try on a variety of helmets before making a purchase, especially one that costly. I tried on about 20 different helmets before I found one I like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:plus1: I have found at least two separate reviews where the writers said they like it better than the Arai's that cost twice as much. I had a couple Arai's on my head last week and wasn't impressed, especially with their stupid visor lock. I think HJC and Shoei both have better set-ups for their visor.
quote]

While I liked the HJC a lot; that comment is pretty hard to swallow. I think HJC's only downfall compared to Arai and Shoei is the material used in the padding - it could be softer. It does, however, look phenominal and the venting and noise control was excellent.

I did, however, crash test the helmet shortly after buying it at the track and it held up great!!! :D
I then took an axe to it to see how much effort it would take to break thru the shell.

But FWIW: I got another Shoei to replace the HJC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't be a sucker and buy into the theory that the more a helmet costs the better it is. I have a $200 Scorpion that in my opinion is as good as some $400 helmets. That's not just my opinion ... apparently JD Powers poll results show similar.

· Registered
134 Posts
quote]

While I liked the HJC a lot; that comment is pretty hard to swallow. I think HJC's only downfall compared to Arai and Shoei is the material used in the padding - it could be softer. It does, however, look phenominal and the venting and noise control was excellent.

I did, however, crash test the helmet shortly after buying it at the track and it held up great!!! :D
I then took an axe to it to see how much effort it would take to break thru the shell.

But FWIW: I got another Shoei to replace the HJC.

If I was buying whatever I want it would be Shoei RF-1000 based on how well it feels on my head or a Suomi Vandal Extreme for the amazing graphics. The Arai has slightly better feeling padding than the HJC maybe but for sure as heck not $300 better padding and I think it has a way crappier visor, almost identical venting, and they don't have any helmet that looks as cool as the HJC carbon fiber. If I get bored I'll find the reviews where the writers really aren't impressed with the Arai's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have thr RF-1000 nerve, absolutely love it and I am not a fan of helmets. I had to get a helmet I realy liked or I hew I would never wear it, I wear this a lot of the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Arai has slightly better feeling padding than the HJC maybe but for sure as heck not $300 better padding and I think it has a way crappier visor, almost identical venting, and they don't have any helmet that looks as cool as the HJC carbon fiber. If I get bored I'll find the reviews where the writers really aren't impressed with the Arai's.
I completely concur: the padding in the Arai is not worth the extra pricetag - I was hunting for any reason I could think of against the HJC; that's all I got. And, now that you mention it, I didn't like the visor on the Arai.

But I like my Shoei better - even if it doesn't have the ultra-cool look of the CF weave.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.