Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday I put 400 miles on my bike (Mid America Motorplex and back...but that will be another thread). I knew it was going to be the longest I had ever been on a bike in one single stretch so I decided that I should give earplugs a try. I wore a pair of North Sonic II ear plugs that are designed for rifle and shotgun shooting. I've been using the same pair for twelve years now and they are still as good as new. Anyway, I wasn't sure on the way there how much difference they were makeing, I kept convincing myself that it wasn't that much quieter. I had a 30-40 mph crosswind the entire way which made everything worse. On the return trip I forgot to put them in. I knew immediately that I had forgotten them and couldn't find a place to pull over soon enough. I couldn't believe how much more relaxed and comfortable I felt without having so much noise in my head (not to mention the lack of hearing damage). Anybody who has been holding off on trying it out should do it today.

G

·
yes, foamies just block out the ambient noise but you can still hear things. When wearing mine I can still have conversations with somebody when I take my helmet off but it drowns out background noise

G

·
how about hearing people? I ride with buddies and we'll chat at stoplights about where we're going next, if we both saw the hottie in the car, etc. That would be my concern.

·
Registered
21 Posts
how about hearing people? I ride with buddies and we'll chat at stoplights about where we're going next, if we both saw the hottie in the car, etc. That would be my concern.
you're gonna have to yell so everyone within a block can hear you or come up with hand signals. the one for boobs is pretty obvious so I think you're all set.

G

·
sounds like maybe when riding with others, I'll not use them, by myself it may be a good thing. Though when I am by myself, I'll often use the ipod. So, who knows.

G

·
I think that having the plugs in actually makes it easier to hear other sounds around you, at least while you're move at speed. It quiets down the wind noise so that it doesn't drown out all the other sounds around you. When you are sitting still, such as at a light, they aren't helping in that way. But, they quiet down everything pretty much equally, so you should not have too much trouble.

There is some adjustment that you will learn to make after a few rides with them in. Everything is so quiet that it seems surreal. One of the nice things about that can be that you have an easier time focusing on the little nuances of how the bike and rider are behaving. If you ride at speed, it clears out a lot of sound clutter to let you focus.

G

·
Getting a set of custom earplugs are the best. They fit better so you don't even feel that they are in. As well the db cutoff is amazing.. if you get the right type they cut off the noise above 85db but you can still hear everything. I remember standing on the floor of a Rolling Stones concert and having a conversation with a buddy who has a set of these as well and we were only raising our voices slightly to hear each other. Any audiologist can get you fitted with a set, they last a long time.. last set lasted me 15 years and I just got a replacement set last season.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.