Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one or reccomend one? I was looking at a cheap one from Harbor Freight but I don't know how good the quality would be since it's considerably cheaper. I don't have an air compressor and would only use it for bike stuff so i thought this would be the cheapest way. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clutch basket removal... :D But for Pete's sake, don't use it if you don't have to! I was using the cordless drill to install my rear sets and cross threaded the screw into the frame. Half a second and it was over. Ended up buying a nice tap and die set to straighten out the threads. I got lucky...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seamus said:
I can't think of any reason to use an impact wrench on a bike.
Counter shaft sprocket, rear sprocket, shock. I'm all of a 120lbs and it would make it a lot easier to loosen up nuts and bolts as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
you want one with heft? how much you want to spend? ...DeWalt makes a nice one, but imho it's cheaper to buy a small compressor with a cheater tank and thump gun. Not to mention you could get a 20$ butterfly impact for taking things apart easily too.

The makita 14.4v ones are priceless as for doing 'small stuff', as I think the Mak's are the smallest/lightest/strongest, and most well balanced - but this isn't really the bet for taking off big bolts and stuff. The smaller ones are usually good for about 50/60 #/ft, but if you can find it in your budget - they do come in damn handy :)

...unless you're adamant about cordless, you can probably spend about $150 @ home depot and just get a corded impact from DeWalt that has the same if not more power. I know Milwaukee has a decent corded/cordless one as well but haven't used them for big stuff personally aside of lug nuts on a truck once.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nickelii said:
Counter shaft sprocket, rear sprocket, shock. I'm all of a 120lbs and it would make it a lot easier to loosen up nuts and bolts as well.
Just saw that...and while 120 is featherweight,you're better option is just a bigass breaker bar if these are the sole reasons for buying it.

I have a couple pneumatic and (formerly had some) electric impacts and unless manditory I prefer using hand tools on the bike - just due to the precision of the machine, I don't like beating the F out of things with the big impact tools if it can be avoided at all.

edit: just saw it's a trackbike - do they have shop air at the track or is it a DIY affair? ..if they have air, might not be a bad investment to snag a pneumatic model if you're really gonna be you're own pit crew with the speedy gear changes(?).

However - in the quest for inexpense, DO NOT under any circumstances buy the big Craftsman torque wrench and use it as your breaker bar :eek: ...I only say this cause I've seen it done...bad idea if you want somewhat relative accuracy out of the wrench.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nickelii said:
Oh crap, I'm 2 of you.:eek:

My reasoning was the same as SSG's, I won't put power anything near the bike.

Makita and Dewalt are the two that I've seen used.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have looked at the same one from Harbor freight. Remember they rate it in inch pounds and I only translates to about 85~ ft. lbs. which you can easily do. If you want cheap power without an air compressor, then I 2nd SSG's 110 volt corded impact for the torq. you need to break stuff loose. If you have the room go with the air compressor. Once you have one you won't be able to be without it. FWIW

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just so ya know...

I have a Coleman powermate thats way overkill for what I need (26 gallons? 6.5 cfm @ 90psi I think) ...but I spent about 250$ at Costco for it and it has served me well.

I was just peeping some compressors online and something like this wouldn't be too bad to manage sizewise, and it will keep a half-decent impact running well for what you'd need it for. For another hundred bucks you can get a decent impact wrench @ Home Depot. For the 300$ invested you have a foundation.

Though not sure if your situation allows for pneumatics or not - if it does, I'd definetely recommend it over the cordless route...

·
Registered
45 Posts
No offense, but you're nuts if you want to use power tools on your bike. I understand being a lightweight as I'm only ~40lbs heavier than you, but I haven't come accross anything that a breaker bar or a pipe on the end of the ratchet wouldn't budge. Aluminum strips way too easy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ND4SPD said:
No offense, but you're nuts
the man has somewhat of a point with this statement.

Although you must realize he is speaking solely of use on steel apparatus...but those steel parts are housed in Al shells and nary do they like impact I'm sure.

I should talk though, I do use impact to REMOVE stuff...just for speed. I have one of those makita's above (for sale 75$ all you need is a battery and charger :D). For bigger stuff though and stuff that is attaching to my flywheel - I try to bind the shaft and hand torque if possible. Actually I do that pretty much all the time anyways.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd be hesitant to use power tools even on the axle nuts and such. Make sure they're installed to the proper torque. It takes some effort, but I can break them loose with a socket wrench that is very long,thus providing good leverage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really only want it to break loose the counter shaft bolt and rear sprocket bolts. I have a huge breaker bar that I use most often on a tire changes and things of that nature but I was still unable to get the counter sprocket loose and had to take the bike into my work. I really just want something cheap for situations like that. When I don't have to stop what I'm doing and drive the bike 25miles to break free a single bolt. But i'm mostly in total agreement w/ you guys, I never use power tools on the bike.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nickelii said:
I really only want it to break loose the counter shaft bolt and rear sprocket bolts. I have a huge breaker bar that I use most often on a tire changes and things of that nature but I was still unable to get the counter sprocket loose and had to take the bike into my work. I really just want something cheap for situations like that. When I don't have to stop what I'm doing and drive the bike 25miles to break free a single bolt. But i'm mostly in total agreement w/ you guys, I never use power tools on the bike.
Ok so we're down to one lousy nut, and you don't like the penny between the gears thing like the rest of us I am guessing - have you tried safety wiring the rear brake pedal "up" (compressed/on) after stepping on it firmly, then trying your mega breaker bar?

I had to do that once for my dirtbike, I was suprised but it worked :)

Now seeing the specifics of your dilemma, my order is still as follows:

-1- Pneumatics :D only cause you haven't indicated what your aversion to them is (assuming price point is same as cordless junk).

-2- 110v thump gun...

-3- Cordless Dewalt or Milwaukee 1/2" shank H.D. impact gun.

I don't know what the torque is on that bolt on your bike, or what the spec is on the harbor tools unit. But if it's greater then 50#/ft I would recommend something heavy duty like the dewalt cordless if you still want cordless. Anything rated for <=1300 in/lb is probably not adviseable.

I was thinking about this after I posted last night - and I did recall an instance where i didn't want to fire up my compressor and used a Makita 12v to take off a flywheel nut that was set to about 65#/ft.(to clarify I have had the 12v and 14v makitas, this was with the 12v) It did it, but it took a few blasts - and if the driver were mine I would have given up much earlier, as I was expecting smoldering hammer clutch parts to make an appearance at any moment.
According to makita.com, the 12v was rated for 1,110 #/in (~92#/ft).

Hope this helps, at one time I did lots of 'best practices' research for a similar scenario and just ended up being crafty with a manual toolset. Then bought a nice compressor cause I had already earmarked funds for the adventure ;). I don't think I could live without my air now...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your help guys, you've given me a lot of helpful info to consider. I do want a compressor and it would be helpful in a lot of areas, now I just need to convince the wife that I need it. Any advice on that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nickelii said:
Thanks for all your help guys, you've given me a lot of helpful info to consider. I do want a compressor and it would be helpful in a lot of areas, now I just need to convince the wife that I need it. Any advice on that?
You could try the old "Hey woman, get in the kitchen and bake me a cake!" And then when she leaves you, you won't have to ask for her permission!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nickelii said:
..now I just need to convince the wife that I need it. Any advice on that?
Hmm, don't know your situation - but depending how peripheral you want to be to the actual truth lol , how do you think this would work?

Method #1
<enter scene>
Wife is closing the refrigerator after getting a glass of wine, midday on a Saturday afternoon. Nick comes in the door from the driveway/garage/shed/roof/quonset hut/refrigerator box with a half grimace on. The kind of grimace just enough to cue the wifes doubt riddled sweeping undertoned "how's it going out there?"

nick :"well, my compressor was getting a bit loud, so I gave it to Jake 2 weeks ago to fix. He just called and told me it's about 350$ to fix.

wife: compressor, what kind? I didn't know you had a compressor?

nick: well that's why I'm upset...I havent seen one like that anywhere. That thing was a powerhouse, but apprently the parts for it are very expensive according to jake.

wife: wait, you HAD a compressor and now you don't?

nick: yeah, I got it from uncle ____ on one of his yard sale escapdes.

<wife casts 'are you high' look>

nick: You remember right after I got my bike in ____ and he stopped by? i mentioned needing one for upkeep on the new ride and apparently he spotted it for cheap so he grabbed it. Doesen't really matter, I'm more upset I can't find another one like it anywhere. I was checking ebay just in case, I can't even find the brand anywhere now, I think DeWalt bought them and the current version of it is like 500$.

wife: wow I didnt even know you had one you never mentioned it? but I don't know what half the shit in that quonset hut is so it doesen't suprise me...

nick:yeah, thats what was so nice though - it was small and whisper quiet and I loved it...I loved that it was so quiet because I could wrench on my bike at any hour without bugging the neighbors either.

<wife realizes this conversation is a debit at this point, and is sold, expressed via quiet pause with the "and then.." look on her face, it's time to show some maturity and regard for your nest egg while taking all things into consideration>

nick: well, I know what I'd like to do.I really cannot see spending 350$ on a 20 year old compressor, and 500$ is just too much to spend. I checked online while looking for parts and I think I could get a half-decent one for about 250-300. The downside is that it might be a little louder and not as compact, so I'll have to keep it somewhere else.

There are too many variables from here, but I think if you can get to delivery of the last line, you might as well have it plugged in and filling. ;)

Just remember to have answers for everything before you go in, and remain solemn! if she sees you perk up at the new odds of purchase she'll know its a trap...and like the fish to the cormorant, so will you end up with a steel band around your wallet until you're done diving.

Method #2:
hey hun, you know how we just saved a ton on our car insurance? ...well I just spent it at home depot and Don found a great deal on an open box air compressor. It was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up. The good news is unlike car insurance, I only need to buy this once, I mean there is no return policy on it anyways so you don't have to worry about me returning it for a bigger one next week. Cool huh? :smilebig:
So where did you want to go to dinner anyways?

..damn I'm bored, good luck :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like you didn't just make this up, SSG. It's too finely polished material. So, how well does it really work?

·
Registered
86 Posts
maxib said:
Sounds like you didn't just make this up, SSG. It's too finely polished material. So, how well does it really work?
I'm just a detailed bastard, gads don't you see me ranting about the abuse of torque wrenches above. :D

I've never tried it actually, in all honesty I think I wussed it with a soft-out like "yeah I had that in storage over at marks house before we moved" , I just didn't have time to discuss - I had to get that rekluse in my YZ before I got asked what I was doing ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts