Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to put this in the tool area...but I do not consider it motorcycle tool related.

Has anyone had one last longer than like 1hr of work? Maybe I ask too much from my Dremel. I don't know...I use they cut-off wheel, and it works for a bit, then the motor totally locks. I used to use one for cutting the rear fender off the bikes, but I have been using them to notch metal.

I brought it back, got another one - same thing. WTF...seems like it is going to melt in my hands it gets so hot.

What can I buy that will meet the demand I put on it? Is the dremel brand any better?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've had my dremel for about 3 years no problems. But I do not overextend the tools intended use. I will use a grinder when needed or a cut off saw when the situation arises.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like you would be better off with either an air die grinder with a 3" cut off wheel, or electric 4" grinder with cutoff wheel. I agree an hour is too short for one to last, but you got to remember they are a hobby tool, not a serious tool. Not intended for heavy cuttingfor long periods of time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good idea, an air die grinder will be bought tomorrow. :) I guess I totally over used the Craftsman. I thought it would hold up better, and really thoght it would handle what I was doing - but after thinking about the motor in there, and seeing how it is so small, I think I will get something different. I love Craftsman, and I think I have a butt load of their tools, and never have had a problem with them...so I will upgrade. I have seen cutoff wheels and used them at the bodyshop, but for some reason I never put the two together. drrrr.

Oh well, anyone want to buy my Craftmans Dremel tool? ;) Kinda works... :crap:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get the thin ones, i think they are .035 or .045" thick. 3" dia with a 1/4" hole. Then get the arbor for them with a 1/4" shank, should be about $8. I use air diegrinders, straight and 90 deg, everyday at work and over the last 8 years I have setteled on the cheap import $40 ones from Home Depot. They are consumable to me yet the straight ones last many years and the 90's about a year and a half. My $240 Snapon 90 deg grinder lasted 3 years with one $60 trip to get rebuild. I'll stick with the cheapies :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what you mean. I use all Craftsman hand tools, hell, it works for me and if it breaks I can get it replaced. Thanks for the info G!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even when I polish with my dremel I use 2 of them. Soon as one gets hot I switch to the other. I have run mine for hours non stop just switching FWIW.

If you are going to get an air die grinder make sure your air compressor will handle it. I have a large tank but, my air grinder will out run my compressor. Just make sure the cfm on the compressor is high than the grinder. Otherwise go electric 4" like G-force said.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally broke my dremel of about 15 years age and purchased a Bosch (I think) Roto-Zip. After screwing with dremel-sized cut-off wheels, you'll never look back from one of these. Larger tool and not quite as weildy but the duty it performs in more than proportionate to the mass.
If you picked up an air compressor and grinder, make sure it's oiled :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts