Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking in the world of off road now...and then the beg question comes to my mine - 2 stroke, or 4 stroke?

I am looking to be doing mostly woods/trial riding, but I will want to go out and rip up the sand pits...

what direction should I go, and why?

Also - I am about 6'0" 200Lbs, last dirt bike I owned was a KX 125 when I was in the 8th grade!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Get a CRF450. I happen to know where an '06 is in pretty decent condition. The owner may or may not have enough garage space so you would be able to pick it up in the middle of the night.
All it would take is a quick trip to Texas.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BDA116 said:
Get a CRF450. I happen to know where an '06 is in pretty decent condition. The owner may or may not have enough garage space so you would be able to pick it up in the middle of the night.
BACK OFF! I all ready have dibs on that one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
BDA116 said:
RRWANTR said:
BACK OFF! I all ready have dibs on that one.
LMFAO!!! :rotfl:

·
Registered
107 Posts
showmethebombs said:
Is the CRF450 too heavy to toss around quick like?
Uh, J, you obviously haven't kept up with Motocross or Supercross lately. :smilebig:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, the CRF450 isn't much heavier than the CR250. It is a blast to ride, but it can definately toss you around quick like. :nod:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right Pete! I have been out of the loop for a bit! :) I really want to go 4 stroke...so I am really happy to hear it is not air heavy! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
showmethebombs said:
You're right Pete! I have been out of the loop for a bit! :) I really want to go 4 stroke...so I am really happy to hear it is not air heavy! :)
A great bike to run trails and do occasional motoX tracks would be the 450X. It's a bit milder than the R model, but still runs like a banshee. And that electric start sure is nice. It's what I would have gotten had I not stumbled across such a great deal on this '06 R.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pete said:
A great bike to run trails and do occasional motoX tracks would be the 450X. It's a bit milder than the R model, but still runs like a banshee. And that electric start sure is nice. It's what I would have gotten had I not stumbled across such a great deal on this '06 R.
The man is correct, 450x is the shizdizzle. I think the MSO states 53hp and weight somewhere in the mid 230's?

Though if your looking for something street legal out of the box...it may take a little bit of work, but not much - being in Vt. and all :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SomeStrangeGuy said:
Though if your looking for something street legal out of the box...it may take a little bit of work, but not much - being in Vt. and all :)
Not tough at all. Buy an 06 Husky TE450 (or TE250 or their SM models) and it's 50 state DOT street legal out of the box. :cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
A CRF450 is NOTABLY heavier than a CR250. Not one CR450F rider that's tried it has neglected to talk about how light and flickable it felt.

If you can, get out on a CR250F. I haven't tried one, but several very experienced riding buddies prefer them on trails due to the lighter weight.

Out here in the dez, it's all about HP, and no doubt, the 450 is king. (though I still prefer my antique 2 stroke)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
showmethebombs said:
I am looking in the world of off road now...and then the beg question comes to my mine - 2 stroke, or 4 stroke?

I am looking to be doing mostly woods/trial riding, but I will want to go out and rip up the sand pits...

what direction should I go, and why?

Also - I am about 6'0" 200Lbs, last dirt bike I owned was a KX 125 when I was in the 8th grade!
I currently own a 1999 CR250 and I wouldn't own ANYTHING else. The CR250 is a fantastic handling bike. It's light on it's feet and it's got power through low, med, and high. I have owned 125's, and I even owned a CR500...too heavy and not enough power.

Four strokes - you have to buy more bikje to get the same output as a two stroke. It's up to you. There is nothing a four stroke can do that my CR250 can't do. In fact - I usually win.

Good luck in your decision - :thumb: .....OMT - - I am 6' 0" and weigh 195lbs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SomeStrangeGuy said:
Just winning is never enough, is the point. You must show them to truly win.

Then rep them.
Oh...I agree. I think my message was taken out of context. It's up to the person buying the bike. All I can say is do your homework. If you do that - you will be happier with what you own. In MY opinion - I couldn't have a better bike than a CR250R. Then again - it's a Honda! :thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Would you guys still recommend the CRF450 for a new dirt bike rider, but experienced street and track rider?? 6.1, 260lbs+?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts