Honda Pioneer Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for opinions on drill bits. I recently purchased a drill press (should of had one a long time ago) and I am looking for a good set of bits. I have researched cobalt vs oxide vs titanium vs gold ferrous vs others.

My press is set on the slowest speed and I use cutting oil. I have numerous dewalt bits (not impressed much). What bits do y'all recommend?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I run a small home based welding and fabrication shop and have tried just about every kind of bit you can think of. To be honest I have found very little difference in all the different coatings on bits. I own expensive bits to cheap Princess Auto/Harbor Freight bits and what makes a huge difference in the bits is how sharpe they are. I bought a Drill Doctor XP and give each bit a quick touch up and they cut much better. I would also recommend some stubby bits and a center drill as they have a lot less flex when starting your hole. Once you got a pilot hole I usually will move up by 1/8" to a 1/4" in drill size till I reach the finial size for the hole.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run a small home based welding and fabrication shop and have tried just about every kind of bit you can think of. To be honest I have found very little difference in all the different coatings on bits. I own expensive bits to cheap Princess Auto/Harbor Freight bits and what makes a huge difference in the bits is how sharpe they are. I bought a Drill Doctor XP and give each bit a quick touch up and they cut much better. I would also recommend some stubby bits and a center drill as they have a lot less flex when starting your hole. Once you got a pilot hole I usually will move up by 1/8" to a 1/4" in drill size till I reach the finial size for the hole.
Cool, I have a drill doctor that gets used (alot!) I purchased some cobalt Mibro brand at Tractor Supply that I am going to use only with the drill press. They were not to bad priced so I thought what the heck. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use my neighbors drill bits. Best by far!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts