Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
White 2021 Honda 1000-5 Deluxe
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to get around and purchase one or more battery tenders for my dual battery setup. I have been taking my battery charger to individually charge up the batteries if I don't run my P1K5 often enough in the Northern Michigan winter.

My question is why does it appear as though both batteries seem to take the charge when I'm only charging one battery? For example... My battery charger will tell me that the batterirs are around 80% charged on both batteries when I connect to then individually. Then, I place the charger on the accessory battery and charge it until full (I don't disconnect the battery from the Pioneer at this time out of laziness). When I place the charger on the primary battery, it's no longer at an 80% charge but nearly fully charged.

I bought my 2019 used so I did none of the wiring. I would have thought that the item that appears to be the isolator was the item needed to keep the batteries separate. Is this normal?

Wow! Red really IS the fastest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have a True Battery isolator and the dual battery voltage meter?

The isolator is just a big diode. And, the solenoid is a relay.

With a True Battery isolator, the blue light is lit when the auxiliary battery is fully charged stopping pass through voltage. The top voltage on your meter is for your main battery and the bottom voltage is for your secondary/auxiliary battery, when wired correctly you will have two different readings on your meter indicating the voltage to both batteries.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
White 2021 Honda 1000-5 Deluxe
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a True Battery isolator and the dual battery voltage meter?

YES TO BOTH.

The isolator is just a big diode. And, the solenoid is a relay.

With a True Battery isolator, the blue light is lit when the auxiliary battery is fully charged stopping pass through voltage.

I'VE SEEN THAT HAPPEN.

The top voltage on your meter is for your main battery and the bottom voltage is for your secondary/auxiliary battery, when wired correctly you will have two different readings on your meter indicating the voltage to both batteries.

THISE READINGS ARE USUALLY WITHING A COUPLE 10ths OF EACH OTHER.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
So, if I understand this, if I charge either battery, both will take the charge because of the True Battery Isolator until full charge is met and the blue light comes on, separating the batteries from each other again?

Wow! Red really IS the fastest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Honda Pioneer 1000 with a Optimate 3 battery trickle charger with the pig tail with connector for the actual charger hard wired into the main battery. I just let the pig tail with the covered connector dangle outside the hood for easy access. I have a True battery isolator with the two-battery voltage display. I just plug the charger to the pig tail connector and both batteries charge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts