Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it waterproof? Interesting unit, how much?
No it isn't. The casing is slide tooled and could be easily made waterproof but the display area wasn't designed to be sealed. If weatherproof it should also be portable. That would mean an internal battery which would generate a great deal of heat, add to the size and cost because of the display we are using. Its a Samsung 16:9 4" panel.

Because of the extra features borrowed from our Sat radio products and the display we developed this as a transportable vehicle navigation system. The interface and extra features were the focus during development. It is set for $699 retail with North America and an additional 2.5gb of internal memory for music or photo files. The audio input and built in wireless FM transmitter will let you play existing audio devices (Satellite receivers, iPod) and have them mute during navigational commands.

Physically it is no more of an obstruction of view. The display is the same height, just wider and it has the typical suction cup mount. The mount uses an AAMPS screw pattern so any Panavise or similar custom mount will also work.

I'm waiting for the new map data to beta test that was supposed to be compiled and ready 6 mon ths ago....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, I was thinking waterproof for bikes vs car use (your target and probably a better/bigger market) Just ordered a Quest 2 but I have no real use for all the bells and whistles that most people want on GPS. Good luck though as it looks to be a neat product :thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice unit Bill but usb 1.1? :huh: Isn't that old technology? Most computers, even the cheap ones, come with usb 2.0 speeds. Why use the slower port?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CPU allocation. USB 1.1 downloads the entire map data for North America in less than 20 seconds. The biggest problem I've found with most systems is slow reaction or choppy movement. We're using dual processors to give faster nav response even when music or aux audio is used simultaneously. Anything relating to the performance of the unit was addressed first and peripherals were then picked based on what is needed. I also limited photo files to 1mb because a slide show running with music playing could slow the unit Of course the Photo,Music,Aux audio, fm transmitter and USB have nothing to do with Navigation directly, they just need to work seamlessly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.