Honda Pioneer Forums banner

First Helmet!

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Smitty 
G
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm in need of my first helmet I'm using one now that the guy I bought the bike from let me have but it dosen't fit me properly and I just don't like it. I see a wide variety of price ranges so I'm really confused on what I should be looking for quality wise. I have a 2000 929 RR Black/Silver/Red Japanese Specs and I do all my riding on the street well if you want to call coral roads here on Okinawa streets? Anyone have some pointers on Brand and specifically things I might want to look for.....

Tim

G
#3 ·
Find one that fits you good and that meets the SNELL or DOT standard. I have a "Shoei" head and I've always been please with their product.

Try the search feature and you'll find plenty of info on helmets, maybe too much.

G
#4 ·
You are bound to make mistakes on your first helmet in what shape to what size you purchase. Unfortunately they are not returnable like mens underwear.

So first of all try to find the correct shape. Then work around size. There will be pressure when first putting on a helmet & in all cases the first week or two will make the difference as the inside of the helmet forms to YOUR head shape unless the wrong shape & if UNFORTUNATELY you choose one that is to small or to large. They all come in clear visors so do not pay extra for a mirror like one or such because the life of the latter is not to good PLUS you will have trouble in keeping the other one SCRATCH FREE.

Do not aim for the top line helmets. For the first one will tell you what errors you made & come a year or two down the road you can upgrade to a better helmet if & when you so wish. The others should be with the DOT or Snell mark on them & such a full face helmet is going to give you good protection.

Now that you have said helmet try to not throw it around, bounce it off the floor or such. Also keep the visor free of bugs & scratches. These to can be done with any form of Plastic Protectant like Plexus, 303, Armor-All, others plus inexpensive Pledge in any grocery store at a low price. The trick in obtain some clean Automotive Buffering cloths at many shops. These are a darn good soft cotton cloth. I carry one in my tank bag along with pledge & one at home. Nothing else is used to clean the visor & when the cloth is around a week old then wash it like by hand or in your washing machine. Do that to your visor & if you are using Pledge then apply it all over the shell to give it a clan waxed finish. Good example is I was into the insurance firm & the clerk noticed my 5 yrs old helmet & said "Lovely new crash helmet" not realizing the age of mine.

Do NOT use normal paper cleaners on the plastic for they really do scuff of the softer plastic compared to clean soft cotten cloths. Lastly my 5 yrs old hemet (a Shoei) is with the visor of a 7 year old helmet which shows how long they can star scratch free IF you take care of them. In my case I can only see with my right eye so if I hit bugs on a hwy run & the right side is a mess then I MUST stop, pull out the Pledge & soft cloth to clean off the mess so I can see properly. I would say on an average I clean my visor 2 or 5 times in a 4 to 7 hr ride plus the time I am home.

G
#6 ·
I used to think the price wa the main factor and bought shoi and arai, but both did not fit my head very well. i ended up spending 200.00 on a scorpion that fits perfect. like the other fellas said fitment is what your loking for. oh and a removable washable liner. head funk is well headfunk:rolleyes:

G
#9 ·
tribaltim said:
I'm going to get this helmet what do you think? I tried it on at the local bike shop and it's going for 45,000 yen which is about $400 from what I've seen online that's an awsome deal.......
You are going to love that helmet. Fit and finish is awesome. A most comfortable fit you will find to. I happen to know because I have the same model but in yellow. You will notice that it is quite noisey. So make sure you get earplugs. But in hot weather, all of the air holes keep your head cool. Even in the hot Florida sun of the US.

Great choice of helmet. Jjust make sure it fits well. As others have said, it all depends on the shape of your head.

:thumb:

G
#10 ·
colryn said:
You are going to love that helmet. Fit and finish is awesome. A most comfortable fit you will find to. I happen to know because I have the same model but in yellow. You will notice that it is quite noisey. So make sure you get earplugs. But in hot weather, all of the air holes keep your head cool. Even in the hot Florida sun of the US.

Great choice of helmet. Jjust make sure it fits well. As others have said, it all depends on the shape of your head.

:thumb:
Yea I actually tried on several and this one fit me the best not to mention it was one of the first ones to catch my eye. Yoshi at the store told me it would take one week for them to order me one. As soon as I get it I will post pics along with my bike I can't wait. Do you just have regular roll up and put in your ear, ear plugs or does someone make some specifically for Bike riders?

#11 ·
there's a lot to choose from in ear protection. if you read the packages a lot of them will list motorsports on there. The ones I use cancel out 33decibels of noise and thats the high end. Low I think is around 28. I went with the highest because my Suomy is extrememly loud (more ventillation=more noise). You can get the roll up foam ones thats you dispose of or get resuable ones, either ones are good. get whats comfortable for you.

G
#13 ·
So maybe for now I'll stick with the roll up throw away earplugs. I'm a rifle and pistol range coach in the Marine Corps so I have unlimitted access to them. Until I come accross some high speed ones that is......Thanks

G
#14 ·
I use the soft ear plugs along with my Shoei helmets & prior to that other makes was back to the days of Cromwell "puddin' basin" helmets & all the noise you could expect at all forms of dirt comp & road racing. They have saved my ears for most, at my age, wear hearing aids & I do not though I might if I have to ask anyone to repeat said question to me.

I since you tribaltim, are a piston & rifle coach I am the same, well sort of being h/gun directory-instructor at our club with the indoor range so only the best of muffs plus the addition of soft plugs till I sent over to electronic muffs, for 9X19 have a noisy crack & 45s a nice big sound especially as I have two custom made ones & latter to my specs. Also shoot anything from 2 or 3 days of the week & evey week of the year or should I say years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.