Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or anyone who wants a reflective vest for night riding, etc....

Before the flames start, I'll explain for those not in the military. In order to be allowed to ride to work, you have to wear a bright vest with reflective material (it's been a long fight against it, and so far we've lost.)

The only options I've seen so far are the highway-worker type safety orange plastic ones that are a pain in the tail as well as looking really :thumbd:

I found a shop last night near my house that is selling a vest made by ICON that has been approved for use on mil bases. While I wouldn't choose to wear it if I didn't have to, it looks a lot better than the alternative. It also has a clear pocket on the left front that holds your ID that attaches with velcro. I bought it from speed-werks.com for $40.00

http://www.speedwerks.com/catalog/c134m0bm0b0s1pn1p3542np0

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yep, it's a good-looking "mandatory" alternative.

BTW, not just to work. If you get fatally injured while riding, and you don't have the vest on, your families out your DOD 200,000 to 300,000 insurance check (or at least that was the deal in '93).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard rumors about that too, although I'm not sure that it would stick. I'm not on active duty, but it is something to be aware of.

I ran into a bunch of our security forces guys one day out on the road. All of them had on great protective gear, although none of it was bright or reflective.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scout said:
Yep, it's a good-looking "mandatory" alternative.

BTW, not just to work. If you get fatally injured while riding, and you don't have the vest on, your families out your DOD 200,000 to 300,000 insurance check (or at least that was the deal in '93).
I just bought the Icon vest to get on base when I get back. Should be on my bed when I get back Wednesday!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duke said:
I just bought the Icon vest to get on base when I get back. Should be on my bed when I get back Wednesday!

Make it back safe, man. Thank you for your service :thumb: :thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was denied pass several times because I refused to wear them. Not because of safety but because of stupidity on their part. If a bright headlight, taillight, and reflective markers aren't enough, nothing is going to be. Travis even makes them wear them during the day, most of the time, because the gate guards are morons and don't know the laws let alone the reason they are enforcing them. I've heard it straight from the horses mouth before, a sgt told me they don't make it to a squad car until they are at least a Staff. Until then, they are stuck at the guard shack. They would tell me I'd have to wear it, and I'd tell them I didn't and to look up the reg. I'd wait. They'd return with a "Well, just remember to wear it next time." Followed by a braaaaaaap, brapppppppppp.

Reflective vest or not, if you're going to get creamed by a car, it isn't going to be because they can't see you, it's because they're morons. A reflective vest isn't going to help you. If the headlight, taillight, reflective markers, relective piping in your jacket, reflection of your helmet, paint blah blah blah, doesn't make a driver see you, a bright orange reflective vest isn't going to help you either. And if someone ever hit me going the speed limit of 30 MPH on base, I'd hop up from my mangled bike and beat the shit out of someone.

Forgive me, I've been drinking.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Scout said:
Make it back safe, man. Thank you for your service :thumb: :thumb:
Thank you for those kind words... :thumb:

Firedawg....I totally agree with your ranting on vest. I actually taped reflective 3m tape on the back of my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket I used to wear and they had the balls to refuse me entry. They told me to pull over and after I told them that I had a reflective upper garment, they refused to allow me entry because it wasnt a "VEST." I had to get off my bike, take off my helmet and wait for a freakin SP supervisor to show up. I pulled out the reg (which I ALWAYS carry under the seat) and it clearly states in black and white...."a reflective upper garment.." no where in the base or DOD reg does it state a vest. After I went off on him they let me in the gate but even after I told the SP shirt and my shirt it happened again....STUPID FREAKIN RULES :mad:
So I gave up and got the ICON vest, I think it looks cool and it will prevent me from having to pull over and pull the reg out at the gate regularly.
Now off base my Joe Rocket speedmaster leather jacket has a reflecive stripe, and to me that is a reflective upper garment :eyebrows:

PS. On a side note...you think having to wear a reflective vest while riding is bad....at Al Udeid AB here in Qatar..you have to wear a reflective belt or vest at ALL times while on or off duty (while riding your feet), now if that aint a stupid freakin rule I dont know what is...SAFETY NAZIS :thumbd:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd double check with your respective bases/posts though, just to make sure. NAS Agana, Guam (wayyy back in the late 80's/early 90's) actually specified "reflective vest" in their base regs. The particular base regs can be tighter and/or more specific than the generic DoD regs, they just can't be looser.

Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
tbeemer said:
I'd double check with your respective bases/posts though, just to make sure. NAS Agana, Guam (wayyy back in the late 80's/early 90's) actually specified "reflective vest" in their base regs. The particular base regs can be tighter and/or more specific than the generic DoD regs, they just can't be looser.

Tom
Well this is Macdill AFB policy and its just written like that in DoD regs too....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i stilll wear my refractive PT belt when i ride at night. it really makes a difference and when i am stopped at lights people tell me that it really stands out. i think it should be mandatory at night

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't wear the vest off base and never have. My A* jacket has reflective piping and to me that is more than enough. I find it rediculous that the base follows the DOD order to the letter and then some making you wear the vest during the day as well to get on and off base but they allow short sleeves. Who is really protecting who here?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just print out the reg that says you only need it for night time riding and carry it with you. I haven't been told once since they switched it, even though I go in before light some mornings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, but I saw that vest the other day in the shop, it is the nicest one I've seen and would get it if we HAD to have the reflective vest on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
firedawgon929 said:
And if someone ever hit me going the speed limit of 30 MPH on base, I'd hop up from my mangled bike and beat the shit out of someone.

Forgive me, I've been drinking.
just to let you know, drunk one... i was hit in a parking lot at 25 miles an hour and suffered a broken neck... not standing up for the vest , but i woouldnt have helped me... just dont think 30 mph wont hurt or kill you, it can.... i am recovering from a fractured c-1 vert. in my neck and ill telll you what... i didnt think it could happen either, at such low speeds.... thats my :twocents: ... read this thread and see how it happened to me...linkhttp://www.pioneerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30054=

·
Registered
175 Posts
Icon actually makes gear that's not junk, marketed for stunnaz? I'm shocked.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On a side note...you think having to wear a reflective vest while riding is bad....at Al Udeid AB here in Qatar..you have to wear a reflective belt or vest at ALL times while on or off duty (while riding your feet), now if that aint a stupid freakin rule I dont know what is...SAFETY NAZIS
That's standard in the AOR for everything other than FPCON delta from what I remember. Has been that way for a while, ever since the first fatality of the war. The first fatality was a maintenance worker at night. The General's took that and ran with it. It's quite ironic that they will give you hostile fire pay and then make you wear a reflective belt. :rolleyes:

I find it rediculous that the base follows the DOD order to the letter and then some making you wear the vest during the day as well to get on and off base but they allow short sleeves.
DOD wide policy is no skin below the chin. If there are people riding bikes on base in short sleeves, it is because the law enforcement isn't, well, enforcing.

just to let you know, drunk one... i was hit in a parking lot at 25 miles an hour and suffered a broken neck... not standing up for the vest , but i woouldnt have helped me... just dont think 30 mph wont hurt or kill you, it can.... i am recovering from a fractured c-1 vert. in my neck and ill telll you what... i didnt think it could happen either, at such low speeds.... thats my ... read this thread and see how it happened to me...linkhttp://www.pioneerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30054=
:rolleyes: Forgive my liquid courage. I've very well aware of what a 30 mph impact can do considering 2 vehicles going 30 equals an impact of 60. Just drunken posting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I pointed the vest out to my wife in Motorcyclist a month or so ago. We were driving to her family on X-Mas eve and she asked me to stop at the cycle shop on the way. She came out of the store with the Icon vest. I went for a ride today :cycle: and wore it for the first time. It fit nice over my leather jacket.

As for when you have to wear it, all the briefs I've been in said day or night, on or off base. Basically, you must wear it all the time. The wording in the reg is somewhat subjective so you may be able to get away with a jacket that is brightly colored and reflective.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
firedawgon929 said:
Reflective vest or not, if you're going to get creamed by a car, it isn't going to be because they can't see you, it's because they're morons. A reflective vest isn't going to help you.
I don't think the rule is there necessarily because it will help you be seen. I think it's because they're trying to discourage military members from riding. I think if they could ban motorcycles, they would. But since they can't, they make rules that are so restrictive, that you won't want to ride.

I've known a couple of guys in my squadron that were thinking of getting bikes; but they said, "I'm not going to get dressed up in all that gear and wear the construction worker vest". Now these guys were looking a Harley's so style mattered to them. There probabaly better off not riding anyway; but that's another matter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i know that now all bases in San Diego state that you DO NOT have to wear the vest during daylight hours, only after colors (sunset) do you have to were the vest

1 - 20 of 29 Posts