Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im currently using a Garmin 2720 on my KLR with a Touratech mount. While I like it and all - it's not really the best gps for plotting trail maps and working with topo's on :).

I am considering getting a 60CSx or a 276c (or 376?) to put on it instead. A friend has the 276c and it works the shizzle, but for some reason I really like the 60CSx and even the 'revamped model' with the SiRF chipset in it is still pretty reasonable costwise. Considering when off-road in this area it's pretty much always on a cliff face or thick deciduous brush - the high sensitivity would be pretty handy.

I know GFJ has a 60 series, but was wondering if he or anyone else had pics of the rig on their machine? and if so, what sort of mounts do you use? how do you have it wired up? is it easy to 'swap' between topo and street maps? is it possible to use POI info with the topo's? these are things I cannot tell from the garmin website so any info would be appreciated. Also is the screen big enough for 'quick acquisition' while at speed or is it mainly for plotting where you have been post-facto? I know the 276 screen is the perfect size for that, but I'm just thinking something a little smaller on the dash would go better?

Of and if anyone here has either for sale in good working condition, ping me :)

G

·
That 60CSx has some compelling features... but the form factor doesn't fit what I like to see on my dash.... :twocents:

G

·
I have a gpsmap 76s that works great for plotting trails. 10,000 track log points (fully adjustable for how often it sets points), logs elevation too. It doesn't support turn by turn routing so it's pretty useless in a car if I haven't already programmed a route.

G

·
I don't have one but from what I've been reading the 60csx is probably the closest thing to an all purpose GPS. It's good for off-road use and turn-by-turn routing. I'm sure there is a RAM mount that'll work fine. As far as maps, you should be able to load both street and topo maps. There is a menu for "maps" or some such thing in the GPS that will list all the maps that are loaded. You can then disable the street maps to show only the topo when you need to. (When there are two maps of the same area, the default will be the street maps.) I assume the 60 is like my Quest in that when you load maps, you delete all the maps that are in there. How you load topo and street maps at once, I don't know. With the CF card though things might be a bit different. Mine is wired through the Battery Tender plug because it was cheap, convenient and easy. I may get fancy and wire up a Powerlet plug near the instrument panel though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I have the recipe for one kickass and fairly versatile gps:
-Garmin 60csx
-Garmin USA Topo
-Garmin MapSource NTv8
-RAM mount (yeah some balls, clampy thing, 60 series holder)
-1gb Sandisk microSD
-2500mAh NiMh batts. (3 sets, 1 in the charger, 1 in the unit, 1 in the tankbag)

= kickass :thumb:

Wows:
Frikken SiRF chipset its unreal, indoors, outdoors, basements...it doesen't care. I typically have at least 3-4 channels at least 25% signal no matter where I am.

Growls:
Only gripe thus far is that it can get Navi accuracy to ~15ft., which is fine...except when moving it constantly lights up the 'about here' blue ring on the nav map. The 2720 takes anything less then 30ft and assumes your on a road. Yes..im almost bitching that this is too accurate.

Easy to shut off/on the maps (swapping between poi/streets and topo) and the batteries last a DAMN long time. Works good with external antennas and goes between car/bike/handheld with ease.

I got the 'car kit' from gpsdiscount.com . I have had great experiences with these guys and they will continue to get my buisness.

..just thought I'd share, for anyone on the fence for a ruggedized solution for an all-arounder, this thing rocks. I don't plan on geocaching, parachuting, fishing/hunting, or linking it to my flight gear...but it seems to have some other interesting stuff in it for that kinda stuff too.

G

·
Only gripe thus far is that it can get Navi accuracy to ~15ft., which is fine...except when moving it constantly lights up the 'about here' blue ring on the nav map. The 2720 takes anything less then 30ft and assumes your on a road. Yes..im almost bitching that this is too accurate.
Maybe I'm misreading this....but isn't there a setting to make it "snap" to the road? You can toggle it on depending on need...

Intrigued by your results with SiRF. :nod: That "may" be the compelling factor in my next upgrade... :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe I'm misreading this....but isn't there a setting to make it "snap" to the road? You can toggle it on depending on need...

Intrigued by your results with SiRF. :nod: That "may" be the compelling factor in my next upgrade... :thumb:
Upgrade? Are you getting your own personal satellite?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually that brings up another gripe...Yes, using the NT8 maps, its fine..always stays on the road, but I constantly have the 'halo of variance'.
In Topo mode, it's on the road, off the road...sorta weird :huh: even my tracks show up consistently in the same place, but they are always off road...even with road snap on...odd.

I can't tell if they each refer to info in the basemap for main highway routing or if either does...because with the basemap - its just as accurate as the NT8 maps. Was thinking maybe Topo uses something different for their road calculation? ..thankfully I don't really need topo for most navigation, I just wanted it to show me where there are fireroads and things not on the NT maps, and for having an intelligent way to associate trail data.

Baketech; said:
Yeah, looks like they are making more new units with it as the standard (C550, 2820, 476, etc.), and yes...it's really weird to be in the server room of my building and get any kind of signal at all. But with this kinda sig sensitivity...still makes me wonder why it cant get better then ~15ft accuracy when im driving or moving with it?

Either way, I'm in process of ordering up some other RAM stuff for the ZX and then...maybe I'll even put the 2720 on the block :eek: aside from the little screen, the 60csx really does a kickass job .

And don't forget that the S only means Sensors, so the 60cx is ~50$ less, and just doesent have a real compass or barometric pressure sensor, not necessities unless your using it standing still alot.

there is also a 50$ rebate right now from Garmin on the 60 series :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My recommendation for the 60csx is on hold at the moment. Due to certain accuracy issues and 'wanderings' that have been observed with the unit.

I thought maybe I had a fruity gps, but apparently this behaivior is currently plaguing other 60cxx owners as well.

The issue is basically taht while standing perfectly still with good signal, the gps will move around about a 400' swath of where I am actually standing. If I use it for hiking, it looks like i run all over the mountain face on my way to the top. and my top speed (on foot) is somewhere around 18m/h...nice, but I assure you it is not.

It tracks MINT on the bike and when you basically fire it up and start going. But I left it on while in a restaurant the other day and the track looked like I was riding around the parking lot and across the street for an hour or so.

Calling Garmin tomorrow since I'm not the only one with this issue.

the good news - its cool to have a barometer on a gps :thumb:

G

·
My recommendation for the 60csx is on hold at the moment. Due to certain accuracy issues and 'wanderings' that have been observed with the unit.

I thought maybe I had a fruity gps, but apparently this behaivior is currently plaguing other 60cxx owners as well.

The issue is basically taht while standing perfectly still with good signal, the gps will move around about a 400' swath of where I am actually standing. If I use it for hiking, it looks like i run all over the mountain face on my way to the top. and my top speed (on foot) is somewhere around 18m/h...nice, but I assure you it is not.

It tracks MINT on the bike and when you basically fire it up and start going. But I left it on while in a restaurant the other day and the track looked like I was riding around the parking lot and across the street for an hour or so.

Calling Garmin tomorrow since I'm not the only one with this issue.

the good news - its cool to have a barometer on a gps :thumb:
I've seen this wandering reported on this unit and others including the Magellan explorist (the Magellen starts to average positions over time though according to one review).
Edit: Here's one review I read...
Initial comparison of Garmin 60CSX and Magellan Explorist 600 reception

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yah it's pretty nasty...no idea why 600$ worth of garmin gets me a wandering pos.
I bought this as a handheld I could actually take *off* the bike and do something with. With this stupid wandering thing, it's rediculous.

See the attached, this is me mowing a rectangular shaped lawn, in view of (at min) 9 birds the whole time, with ~12-18ft accuracy. No, I don't mix drinking with farm implements either, I like to keep it a little orderly looking ;)

G

·
Yah it's pretty nasty...no idea why 600$ worth of garmin gets me a wandering pos.
I bought this as a handheld I could actually take *off* the bike and do something with. With this stupid wandering thing, it's rediculous.

See the attached, this is me mowing a rectangular shaped lawn, in view of (at min) 9 birds the whole time, with ~12-18ft accuracy. No, I don't mix drinking with farm implements either, I like to keep it a little orderly looking ;)
I had the same type of problem with my 76s. It had random points in the log that were miles, sometimes across the country, apart. A firmware update on their part fixed it...and actually a firmware update caused it too. I reloaded an older firmware until they had resolved the issue. Hopefully they will find the solution for yours as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You know, Verizon stores have a 2 gig chip now:thumb: What software version are you running, the latest 3.0? I havent noticed the "wandering" on mine at all, although my hand held use is limited to a few hours of Geocaching.

Mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts