Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Customize your ride with zūmo™ 550. Born to run, built to last, this rugged GPS navigator is always ready to ride. Designed by bikers, zūmo’s motorcycle-friendly features make it easy to operate while in the saddle. From back roads to rallies, its preloaded maps and high-end navigation features give you the freedom to go where you want.
Operate Easily on Two Wheels
Durable and intuitive, zūmo is built specifically for motorcycles:
  • Glove-friendly touch screen with left-handed controls makes it easy to operate
  • High bright sunlight-readable, UV-resistant display makes it easy to view your screen
  • Motorcycle console for trip information, including fuel gauge to warn you when its time to fill up
  • Motorcycle mount with universal mounting hardware so you can mount it anywhere
  • Included motorcycle mount and automotive mount (with integrated speaker) for riding or driving
  • Custom caps, available in a variety of colors, to reflect your style
  • Vibration-tested, waterproof and built with fuel-resistant plastics to withstand the elements
Navigate the Open Road
zūmo 550 comes ready to go right out of the box with preloaded City Navigator® NT street maps and a hefty points of interest (POIs) database, including motels, restaurants, fuel, ATMs and more. Simply enter a destination, and zūmo takes you there with turn-by-turn voice directions that speak street names. In addition, zūmo accepts customized points of interest such as school zones and safety cameras and includes proximity alerts to warn of upcoming POIs. It is also compatible with Garmin's Tour Guide™ — a free utility that allows you to build and upload a database of POIs that are encoded with photos and MP3 files.
A rechargeable, removable lithium-ion battery (three hour typical use) is integrated into zūmo for trip planning or use on foot. In addition, zūmo even accepts electronic maps — making it the ultimate off-road navigator.
Add Optional Traffic, Weather, and Radio
With optional XM subscriptions and an XM antenna, you can check the weather, move ahead of traffic and listen to the radio when you travel with zūmo. As an alternative, zūmo can receive optional TMC traffic alerts (in select cities) when used with a compatible traffic receiver. Simply press a button on the screen, and zūmo recalculates your route to avoid traffic tie-ups.
Make Hands-Free Calls and Receive Wireless Voice Prompts
With zūmo’s Bluetooth® wireless technology, you can talk on the phone safely without removing your gloves or helmet. Connect zūmo to your Bluetooth-enabled headset/helmet and cell phone to make and receive hands-free calls. You can even make phone calls to POIs through zūmo’s Bluetooth interface. In addition, zūmo transmits navigation voice prompts to your headset so you can listen wirelessly.
Plan Your Adventures and Share Your Rides
zūmo 550 makes it easy to plan your next trip and share routes with your riding buddies. Plan trips on your computer before you start. Search for food and fuel stops and local attractions. Then, transfer your route to zūmo and go.
At the end of the day, share your favorite places and rides with other zūmo riders, and review your travels in Google™ Earth. SD card expansion makes it easy for storage and route sharing. Download routes to share with your riding buddies — even load mp3 files to your unit to enjoy tunes on the road. In addition, JPEG Picture Viewer lets you share photos of your adventures with friends and family.
zūmo 550: the navigator that's born to ride
Garmin part number: 010-00567-00
Suggested Retail Price:
$1076.91 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

Expected Availability:
Fourth Quarter
zūmo 550 features:
  • High-sensitivity GPS receiver
  • Display: 2.8” W x 2.1” H (3.5” diag.), 320 x 240 pixels; high bright sunlight-readable, UV-resistant, touch screen display
  • Unit dimensions: 4.8" W x 3.9" H x 1.6" D
  • Weight: 10.6 ounces
  • Removable lithium-ion battery; three hour typical use
  • Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling and navigation audio prompts
  • Supports optional FM TMC traffic alerts
  • Supports optional XM NavTraffic with XM weather, and XM Satellite Radio
  • Preloaded maps for all of North America or Europe
  • Voice announces streets by name
  • Look up addresses and points of interest
  • Choose 2D or 3D map perspective
  • Upload custom POIs, including alerts for speed zones and safety cameras
  • Built-in MP3 player and JPEG Picture Viewer
  • SD card expansion makes it easy for storage and route sharing
  • Export and review your travels in Google™ Earth with a free account from MotionBased.com
  • Glove-friendly touch screen with left-handed controls makes it easy to operate
  • Sunlight-readable, UV-resistant display makes it easy to view your screen
  • Motorcycle console for trip information, including fuel gauge to warn you when its time to fill up
  • Motorcycle mount with standard 4-hole AMPS pattern so you can mount it anywhere
  • Included motorcycle mount for riding and automotive mount (with integrated speaker) for driving
  • Includes Garmin Lock™, an anti-theft feature
  • Custom caps, available in a variety of colors, to reflect your style
  • Waterproof: IEC 60529 IPX7 standards (submersible in one meter of water for up to 30 min.)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fourth quarter...damn. Did I mention it should hopefully make a perfect Christmas gift for those of you not sure what to get me?

Seriously though - this thing looks pretty kickass. I like the fact that they use SD cards! not that damned miniSD.

I should also add that the 2720 is pretty friendly with gloves on, so if they are advertising this one as 'glove friendly' I'd guess it's even better.

G

·
:rotfl: did you see the optional end caps :rotfl:

Interesting though and if you go to the minisite there is a lot more info.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:rotfl: did you see the optional end caps :rotfl:

Interesting though and if you go to the minisite there is a lot more info.
screw the endcaps, I want a way to change the color of the whole thing :idunno:

Yeah minisite :
Garmin: Zumo
has some more useful and 'hands on' info.

Any of you going to GP will be able to see this thing hands on, looks like they have a demo there. I'll give you 50$ and an ice cream cone if you jack it for me :smilebig:

G

·
Why the disdain for the Tomtom? I'm in the market for a GPS, so it's a sincere question as I evaluate the options.

I had the opportunity to use a friend's Tomtom Rider a couple of weeks ago on a trip. It was brand new, and unfortunately had a problem with the on/off switch, so it only worked for one day. (Not a glowing review so far!). But when it worked, it seemed brilliant. And it was small, well shaped, looked good on the bike. What are the things you don't like about the Tomtom? And will the Garmin be better?

My Christmas present to myself is either going to be the Tomtom Rider or the Zumo, so I have to start my evaluation now. :)

--- D

G

·
Zumo looks awesome. On my Christmas list for sure.

Even though the specs on Garmin's site don't mention it, it also has a 10,000 point track log!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any of you going to GP will be able to see this thing hands on, looks like they have a demo there. I'll give you 50$ and an ice cream cone if you jack it for me :smilebig:
I'm sure glad I missed this thread, freak.

Why the disdain for the Tomtom? I'm in the market for a GPS, so it's a sincere question as I evaluate the options.

I had the opportunity to use a friend's Tomtom Rider a couple of weeks ago on a trip. It was brand new, and unfortunately had a problem with the on/off switch, so it only worked for one day. (Not a glowing review so far!). But when it worked, it seemed brilliant. And it was small, well shaped, looked good on the bike. What are the things you don't like about the Tomtom? And will the Garmin be better?

My Christmas present to myself is either going to be the Tomtom Rider or the Zumo, so I have to start my evaluation now. :)

--- D
:popcorn::allears:

I have TomTom installed on my PDA. Minus the time my PDA dumped the com port info on my trip to Putnam Park, it's worked flawlessly for 2 solid years in both Europe and the US.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dislike for TomTom may be personal, it just seems everyone i know with one that puts it to good use seems to have some glitch with them either losing random data, poor routing choices, or has a 'clunky' interface. My direct personal experience with them was just a frustrating to use interface. I may be used to the Garmin way of life and just sorta knowing how they think...but the TomTom seemed more geared towards a too simple UI, which to me is an issue.

Now thats like 2 people I know of that have these, so its not like I know thousands. I do know alot that have their client on their PDA, but thats a different ballgame from my perspective so I dont consider that a fair judgement.

I do see some others on other forums that rave about the bluetooth and how great the TomTom is for having it long before the Garmin. Truth be told, I could give a shit less about that stuff. I don't want audiobooks, mp3 playback, phonecalls, or anything going through my GPS. I just want it to tell me where and when to go, and maybe some pertinent data (weather/traffic) only.

My 'short set' for the Garmin vs. TomTom discussion is who's stuff meets more IEC specs and who's equipment will you find in an avionics package?

Garmin = good enough for planes, good enough for me :)

My 2720 will be on sale shortly once I preorder the Zumo.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How were you able to add it? I can't get it to to see the price with discount reflected?

heck..I cant even get to the page with it shown on their site :huh: just the dang cache..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh sorry, I thought you were referencing a discount, didn't realize you meant availability. Yeah I suspect it should be out soon though.

G

·
I had emailed Garmin about some other features I think it needs (audio input jack for radar detectors; w/ audio going out the bluetooth interface) and they said it wouldn't ship till the end of the year.

G

·
I've never really used a GPS for anything longer than a day, so maybe this is a dumb question....

The zumo apparently can act as a datalogger, and you can download your travelled track/route after your trip. Does this mean it could actually be used as a GPS laptimer at the track? For example, would it store your trip along with your time so you could download it and see at what time you crossed the start/finish line on each of your laps? Or is that just too sophisticated to expect from a GPS?

--- D

1 - 20 of 68 Posts