Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be driving (a cage :( ) across country at the end of this month, so I'm finally gonna get off my ase and get a GPS unit. I've searched here already but haven't found any glowing recommendations for the best place to shop for one.

That said, I'm not really 100% sure on which one to buy either. I have wanted one for awhile for work, that I could just leave in my truck and punch in a new customer address. I am guessing 'car use' will likely be job #1 for this unit, auto-routing and mapping seem to take priority. Which points me at the 2610/2650. Ok truthfully I just know that whatever one Conq. has - I'm sure will be enough for me ;). Timing was everything when it came to his old one being sold as well, yes I know already :(.

But looking (@ ebay mostly) for pricing, the 2610 is around 600-700$. I'm not opposed to dropping that much to get something that will do everything I need. But that gets me thinking of the bling factor vs. function of it. the Quest unit seems to do almost as much, and although a bit of a cobbier package - meets the 'needs' criteria of things. But alas I know no one that has a Quest, and the review sites for this kind of thing are hard to read not knowing user historics and personal prefs.

The fringe benefits of the quest is that I would be able to take it out of the car and onto the bikes with ease, at least a little easier then 26xx models. I don't really walk anywhere that I need navigation either, but I do have a few PC apps that would benefit from a GPS connection. I'm not even sure if either of these devices would allow direct-pc feedback for such a thing or if anything with a pc connection allows you to use it for pc apps. Mostly MS streets and trips, and netstumbler are what I am looking to use it with.

Thanks y'all :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Baketech said:
http://www.gpsdiscount.com/

Looks like the 2610 is around $626 right now...
hmm, and the refurb. model 530$ to my door...hmm.
Thanks Bake, I was hunting at gpsstore.com prior and they looked decent but these guys are a good bit less on some items.

Are the 320 and 330 C's supposed to be replacements for the 2610/2620? :huh:

G

·
Their website is hokey, but I have purchased a couple of Garmins, data cards, software etc from them and always recieved good service and pricing... :thumb:

Dunno anything about those 3xx's.... :idunno:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baketech said:
Their website is hokey, but I have purchased a couple of Garmins, data cards, software etc from them and always recieved good service and pricing... :thumb:

Dunno anything about those 3xx's.... :idunno:
:thumb: Yeah was just searching a friends diatribe about his GPS to me and that appears to be where he bought his as well, and all his access. also. They're pricing is pretty darn good so they must be doing something right.

Eh..3xx's look nice, but the 'little tv' design is funky, spelling mounting concerns on vehicles of the 2 wheel persuasion anyways. Also it's not even water resistant (knew it wasn't water-proof, but not even resitant?). Plus they come with an external antenna which while great for function - doesen't really promote the ability to relocate it easily. Though I do still dig the idea of the battery powered-ness of it, for some reason. Plus if it pleases Yao Ming, then I know in a pinch I could loan it to relatives if tripping or something ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As much as the "yao factor" appeals to me your labeling it as 'consumer' grade gets the point across.

The (off the shelf) hard memory was also something I really wanted in whatever I get, I'm not into the moving parts for storage at all. Yes, the 1gig CF is @ costco for 48$ as well.

Thinking more on the topic I don't really need battery life. I was thinking would be nice to toss this on the KLR/CRf or something, but a 600$ gps on a dirtbike :eek: heck I was scorning you (Conq.) last year for a 150$ unit on your XR...and I know how that Karma thing works :D. If it really came to that I'd rather spend 150$ 2 times then 600$ even once more then I had to.

I'm thinking the 2610 will emerge victorious...now I guess I'm just wondering to buy the refurb or not? :hmm: I tend to think that materials already sent back and repaired have had their failure, so hopefully will last longer - but not sure if this is adviseable with such a product...thoughts or opinions? (100$ is a bit of a savings).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, should I bother with external antennas/cases/sunshields or anything of that nature? ..are there anythings you didn't buy at first you wish you had, or things that you have now (besides the GPS itself :D) that you absolutely couldn't live without?

I know it comes with most mounting stuffs, so I'll probably get a 1 gig CF and leave it at that.
Only thing I cannot clarify is if the auto adapter it comes with is a temporary and permanent kit or just a plug in? ..and if the speaker off the 12VDC plug is the only external - what do I do when I hardwire? (in the car, that is).
I deplore those damned lighter plugs..between laptop, radar, cell charger, the amount of clutter is unbelieveable.

Lastly, 2610 does have overview and 3D mapping? Only photos I see of it have overview? ..but seems the 3d would be beneficial in some instances.

Thanks again.
(Should I just merge threads now?)

·
Registered
139 Posts
It doesn't do 3D.

It comes with the cig. plug only, which has the speaker on it.

If you direct-wire it, it has a 1/8" plug where you can attach an earpiece, or a speaker of your own.

If you are going to sit it on the dash, you shouldn't need an external antenna.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ConqSoft said:
It doesn't do 3D.

It comes with the cig. plug only, which has the speaker on it.

If you direct-wire it, it has a 1/8" plug where you can attach an earpiece, or a speaker of your own.

If you are going to sit it on the dash, you shouldn't need an external antenna.
Thx :thumb:

I was confused on power as description (as a hardwire kit WITH jack) indicated :Connect your StreetPilot 2610/2620 directly to you car or motorcycle power source. This cable has an audio and power bare wire end. so I appreciate the clarification.

kewlness, and thanks again for helping me spend my money wisely :smilebig:

G

·
I think you've already made your mind up; but, if you have any questions regarding the Quest, let me know. I've had one since last fall.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Northy said:
I think you've already made your mind up; but, if you have any questions regarding the Quest, let me know. I've had one since last fall.
Thanks Northy :thumb:
I'm not quite sure if my mind is made up, but there is a 2610 sitting on my dash ;)

Great unit, just doing all the firmware/software updates as we speak. Having never used a true navigation system type stand alone GPS unit, this thing is silly easy to use once you get the gist of it and definetely feature packed. I love the fact that it's own intelligence isn't too overbearing on situations...even with the smaller stuff like auto dimming/backlighting/color changing/etc. I just set it all to 'auto' and it performs seamlessly. That was my biggest concern, as I hate electronics running in my car that are brighter or dimmer then the ambient lighting from gauges etc. It's a major distraction for me because I do alot of night driving (and navigating foreign territories), but this thing fits right in.

Thanks to all those that popped in, with an honorary mention to Conq. for having every vintage of streetpilot and pleasant experiences with them all which was one of the largest factors in going with the Garmin.

gpsdiscount.com had great communication, no suprises, package got here exactly when they said it would...and they filled my shipping container with a few t-shirts as well. Very cool place, will use them when I go back for my accessories for the KLR mount later this year :thumb:

thanks y'all :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts