Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got the Quest2 installed on the 1000RR.

I used a Garmin powered mount (leads are soldered to the left headlight and the excess cable wound on the fairing support and zip tied)
Ram standard base (to the Garmin cradle)
Ram 3" arm
Ram HB-2 reservior mount (on the clutch lever mount)

Thanks Conq for answering the same GPS questions about 100 times while I waffled :thumb:

EDIT: the HB-2 bolts are way long (the pictures show them through the lever with caps on the back but the RR is not drilled 100%) so I replaced them with 6x1.0x40mm hex head bolts that work well. I would have preferred some black socket heads for appearance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
looks good, I was wondering about the HB-2 for usage on a sportbike, thanks for testing this out :)

Do they make a powered mount for the 27xx series...:hmm: that's a nice kit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks good, I was wondering about the HB-2 for usage on a sportbike, thanks for testing this out :)

Do they make a powered mount for the 27xx series...:hmm: that's a nice kit.
RAM or Garmin will make the top mount for a 27xx for sure. I believe Conq even has one.

Not sure on how it works on the bike yet. Tested it some in the car going to work. Works pretty good occasionally it tells you that you are approaching a road VERY late (like you are at the intersection). Also it has some roads and Interstate exits incorrectly named here but that is understandable as there is a bunch of roads that swap names and do strange things in my area.

Also I did not have any issues on redraw but there is a tip in an Amazon review that recalcs can be greatly accelerated by disabling some maps. So I turned of Canada, Alaska, Hawaii and Californie. Seemed a bit snappier but I have not tested a route yet. I think just turning off the other coast is probably a good idea. I will test that more as I get a route or two in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not sure on how it works on the bike yet. Tested it some in the car going to work. Works pretty good occasionally it tells you that you are approaching a road VERY late (like you are at the intersection). Also it has some roads and Interstate exits incorrectly named here but that is understandable as there is a bunch of roads that swap names and do strange things in my area.
..that's semi adjustable I believe, but you mean for turns and stuff - or just general 'where you are' being displayed on the hud?

SOB said:
Also I did not have any issues on redraw but there is a tip in an Amazon review that recalcs can be greatly accelerated by disabling some maps. So I turned of Canada, Alaska, Hawaii and Californie. Seemed a bit snappier but I have not tested a route yet. I think just turning off the other coast is probably a good idea. I will test that more as I get a route or two in.
I find mine to be fastest when I just have the local area I'm in on it, which makes sense - less possible places to look if it isn't indexing I guess?

Did you plug it in and get the Garmin updater software rolling yet? They have free updates and some other customization software via their site.

Keep us posted :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a similar setup with a Quest I on my Monster. I used the U-bolt on its handlebars though. (I'd have gotten a II but the I was nearly free at $240 at a West Marine tent sale.) I soldered an SAE plug on the end of the power cable and plug it into the Battery Tender plug direct to the battery.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just using it in where I am mode. I have to figure how to route maps and upload maps still. Just got stuff installed on the 'doz box lastnight.

Also I will upload more pics but likely save your $1 and get an HB1 as the second ball is kind of snug on clearance.

Here is the Garmin mount

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Quest II has all the detailed maps loaded so you don't have to. I assume you got the Map Source DVD with the City Navigator version 8? The original II's didn't come with the PC maps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Quest II has all the detailed maps loaded so you don't have to. I assume you got the Map Source DVD with the City Navigator version 8? The original II's didn't come with the PC maps.
Yes on v8. I asked Garmin if you do not get a DVD you can ask for one and they will send it. Yes all the maps are on it however I want to do the routing on the PC for maximum finding of twisty roads :hss: <-(gratutious sheep icon). Also part of why I want the Quest is so I can put topo stuff on for hiking also :thumb: Further I have considered making some ride maps for my brother of local roads. With directions and maybe rise and fall etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drove in to work with the Quest2 using the autoroute. Works decent redraws can get a bit slow (however when I updated the OS it turned all maps back on) Again the voice can sometimes come a bit late on turns but overall this thing will be perfect for the RR. Routing on the unit is a bit shaky (much easier on the PC). Oh and I missed my exit on purpose and it recalculated the change real fast.

Now all I need is to get out for a long ride on the RR and scrub in the new Qualifiers while testing the GPS :woohoo:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How does CNV8 work.... :allears:

I'm still using Delorme for mapping and routing, then manually duping that in MapSource. Would like to move to CN (if it's fully functional) to avoid all this hassle... :crap:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm still using Delorme for mapping and routing, then manually duping that in MapSource. Would like to move to CN (if it's fully functional) to avoid all this hassle... :crap:
Decent, the interface is a bit clunky but most map s/w bites (including Delorme). As far as roads it is OK with the misses being no worse than MS Streets. Some are understandable (they do not have the I565 extension but it is new) and others puzzling (every mapping package that shows my circle has the addresses rotated 180 so my house address shows on the wrong side)

Also I have not used it enough yet but I hope there is a good way to store a library of waypoints. Then I could put in a bunch of cool places to ride and mix and match them for each ride.

·
Registered
86 Posts

I have CN6,7,8..no real big diff except the map data is different?

Well I take that back...on the newer devices (Quest2 I think, 27xx series, etc.) they support 3D mapping which the CNV7 maps add data for, ditto with 8. If you load CNV6 maps on a NT7 device I think they only show in 2d?

Likewise the CNV8 maps when loaded on my 60CSx (no 3d there) so it's just 2D.

If you have any questions or what screenshots etc...lmk. I am presently planning a route for tomorrow am's breakfast journey :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you fully plan a trip with it....annotate a map, etc?
Never tried yet :O So far 2 waypoints and 1 route. I think planning a trip by entering it in the Quest might be a bit painful. The interface and screen is small compared to a PC. On a PC I can see no reason you could not plan each day or half day as a route then execute them one at a time :idunno:

I got it mostly for random roaming in the hills on the RR. Most of the POI stuff will not be used. Though finding nearest gas in the middle of nowhere may be handy.:thumb:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can you fully plan a trip with it....annotate a map, etc?
Hmm...I can comment waypoints if thats what you mean?

In all honesty I only use it to plan routes and rarely save them...most of the time I just build routes on my 2720 if I need one.

I mostly use my gps as a string on my finger, so I can mark cool places when I find them, and go back later, and look for more in that area to eventually add to routes (which since Im busy, usually never gets this far, and I just have an arbitrary collection of waypoints :D).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also I will upload more pics but likely save your $1 and get an HB1 as the second ball is kind of snug on clearance.
you mean in the back of ball stud-to-clipon clearance (as in end of stud through bracket touching clip on affecting the function) or you mean as in having a funky nub in that region with the angle of your hand while riding on the track at post-legal speeds.

..confusing cause they keep recommending it for a GL1800, so I was wondering what your take was as far as the actual job it does in the grip department (versus the part it replaced).

For the ZX-10, cycoactive told me to use a GRAHEX (1" ball with the 1/4-20 female threaded insert in the bottom post) and a piece of 1/4-20 SS rod through the steering stem (w/fender washers and junk) to mount my 2720 on.

I was thinking about that, with 2 short arms and nother ball to replace the bolt for the clamp mechanisim, so that I could stem the 2 mounts ( radar and gps ) off the center stem. But...just seems clunky and obstructive.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts