Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a generator to power a set of warmers and in the manual it says to ground the generator. Has anyone ever done this? I have never seen anyone do this is why I question it. I was told by one guy that if I dont ground it that it will ruin my warmers and other people say that they never do it and not to worry about it. Any help would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do your warmers have a 3 prong plug when you plug them in? If not, grounding the generator isn't going to "ground" the warmers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EatnAsphalt said:
Do your warmers have a 3 prong plug when you plug them in? If not, grounding the generator isn't going to "ground" the warmers.
The extension cord I will be using is a 3 prong and then I will connect the warmers to the cord. Everyone I talk to says that as long as you are using a 3 prong cord then I will be fine because that is a ground.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nickelii said:
the warmers are 2 prong
Then it doesn't matter if you use a 3 prong extension cord. If the device you are plugging in doesn't have the ground prong, it doesn't need to be grounded. So neither would the generator. So you ok without grounding the generator. Most 3 prong extension cords are higher quality than 2 prong ones so using the 3 would be better (more than likely larger gauge wire in the 3 prong one), but not because it has a ground.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For your warmers, you dont need to ground the generator. If you ever are running items and tools and such off that generator that need to be grounded, then you will want to ground the generator. It not about making the appliance run, it will always run your 3 prong tools/appliances. Its a safty issue. If the wiring gets screwed up in your appliance/tool, the grounding wire gives the current somewhere to go instead of you, the opperator holding the tool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EatnAsphalt said:
Then it doesn't matter if you use a 3 prong extension cord. If the device you are plugging in doesn't have the ground prong, it doesn't need to be grounded. So neither would the generator. So you ok without grounding the generator. Most 3 prong extension cords are higher quality than 2 prong ones so using the 3 would be better (more than likely larger gauge wire in the 3 prong one), but not because it has a ground.

Thanks for the help, I'm a noob w/ generators and warmers, just got them all today. Do you know if warmers are power sensitive? My gen. manual says that I should not connect power sensitive electronics w/ out some type of converter. I would think if they were this would be mentioned in the warmers manual but I'm a bit paranoid.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Your warmers should be OK.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your tire warmers should be the least sensitive of equipment. Things you might worry about have AC motors, power supplies of computers, and light dimmers. Most modern electronics are pretty tolerant.

The whole grounding issue is to prevent voltages from floating on the chassis of large appliances, like refrigerators, microwaves, and stoves. Higher voltages like to leak out due to capacitance, inductance, corona discharge, long runs of wires, etc... and can be significant enough to cause shocks or fires. I work with 480 volts at work and grounding EVERYTHING is a must or you WILL feel it!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I grew up in the city of Des Plaines, Illinois.... home of Little Fuse..... fuse maker for car fuses..... and nuclear weapon fuses.

But, also home of the Des Plaines River Floods and we lived on the banks of the river.

On the topic of Generators...... sinced we used them lots...... when it rained and the power went out.

While the warmers do not need it...... I always take the five or so minutes to ground my generator just cause it will be the one time you do not that trouble will happen.

I just got a piece of rebar about 4 feet long and a wire clamped to it....

Pound it in to the ground up to about 6 inches left, attach the wire and done.

Grounded Generator..... One time we actually attached a multi-meter to a ground rod when I worked for the carnival and were drawing almost 3 amps to the ground..... Mind you it was on a 1200 KW generator. Big Cat 12 cylinder diesel.... It was cool.... Nothing like hooking up live three phase with 4 awt cables.....!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys, I've got a ground for it now. Figured I should just do it since I'm questioning it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts