Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought a Magellan in a huge hurry, knowing nothing about GPS in 2004. Works fine, but I don't know enough about them to argue the point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Magellan hand-held, and liked it far better than the comparable Garmin hand-held.
That said, the Garmin larger units are much better than their comparable competitors'.

G

·
A friend of mine uses a Tom Tom portable device that he uses from vehicle to vehicle. He was going to come up with a mount and some hardware to try for his bike. Not sure if he did. He said he likes the Tom Tom and feels its pretty accurate from some things I've talked about with him before. Not sure of his exact model. Tom Tom actually does make a motorcycle specific model but its kind of pricey if you ask me. Another option would be to use a PDA based software program if you have a PDA. I have a Sony Clie' that I was thinking about trying out the PDA based software on but haven't got around to doing it yet. This is a nice option if your on a budget and currently own a PDA.

·
Registered
139 Posts
nhfirefighter13 said:
I just got a used Garmin 2610 from SSG and the thing kicks butt. I'm floored at how dead accurate it is.

Garmin...Definately Garmin. Need Garmin. :D
Another vote for the 2610. I move it from truck, to car, to bike as needed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recientaly upgraded to a 60CSX and I love it. The big screen units are nice, but I wanted something more portable. The new x series Garmins with the new chip sets get amazing reception. My old Garmin would loose signal under trees...my new one will get receptin inside my house!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Silent_Assassin said:
This is a nice option if your on a budget and currently own a PDA.
I bought a TMobile MDA II (PDA/Phone)while in Germany because I wanted to minimize the number of devices I had to carry. Found the TomTom software shortly after. I've updated to the Siemens SX66 (MDAIII) since moving back to the states. Carrying one phone/PDA/GPS makes life so much easier plus I only have to plug one device in to my cigarette lighter while driving. It's been just as accurate as any other street GPS I've owned. I toss the PDA and bluetooth GPS receiver in the map case on my tank bag and roll out.

The only thing I haven't tested yet is if I can talk on my bluetooth headset while still navigating. I can talk on the phone itself and not lose nav ability.

G

·
seamus said:
It's been just as accurate as any other street GPS I've owned.
Glad to see that at least someone else has used this. The Tom Tom software you used is what I was referring to above. I'm wondering how reception and accuracy would differ, if any, from using the software with a dedicated PDA as compared to a muliti-function device like your phone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Depends what your usage is, the newer Garmin handhelds are coming with that SIRF chipset (as GFJ has) and I've been hearing some great stuff about them receptionwise, tracking wise, lock-wise.

I had a Garmin 2610 with a gig card in it that I used to drive to Az. last summer. Got me there fast, and i chucked the (paper) maps somewhere not too long into the trip because of it. I loved my 2610, but the appeal of the 3D rendering and NT7 mapping database got me curious about the 2720 so I bought one and have been very pleased with its performance as well.

I've used magellan and am anything but impressed, I think it actually uses the same data - and they were accurate and all, I just didn't like the interface - very 'fisher price' yet somehow non intuitive. I don't like tom tom cause I don't want a ton of integrated junk I just want a GPS unit.

Pricewise I just saw the Garmin units winning. To me they also just had a better reputation, a majority of their line being designed water/shock resistant from the ground up since day 1, and they also OEM many of Honda's new navi. systems. Good enough for them, good enough for me :)

I've done a considerable amount of ranting on here since becoming a GPS owner myself last June...just do some searches for Garmin or 2610 on here ;)

http://www.pioneerforums.com/forums...s-2610-best-place-buy-gps.html?highlight=2610

G

·
My dad picked up the Tom Tom Rider a bit ago and loves it. Bluetooth capable, ways to check traffic, lots of features. However I think you can get a mounting kit for one of the other Tom Tom's and its cheaper... just loses Water-resistance and is a little bit larger.

G

·
gthotchkiss said:
My dad picked up the Tom Tom Rider a bit ago and loves it. Bluetooth capable, ways to check traffic, lots of features. However I think you can get a mounting kit for one of the other Tom Tom's and its cheaper... just loses Water-resistance and is a little bit larger.
I think the Rider version uses a design change in the visuals for the software format. Makes it easier to use while riding with gloves. Has some extra shortcuts and user preferances in the software.

G

·
I've been using a Lowrance i500 with a remote antena, I put the i500 in my tank bag, the external antenna is suction cupped onto my windscreen, plug the external sound into my communicator and just listen to the directions through my helmet speakers. It is big (bad news) but a tough unit that can take a good dunking under water and all the shaking you can dish out. The i500 comes with everything you will need so you dont have to run out and start buying things like mounts, however the external antennal is an option you will need it to use the i500 the way I do. It works great in the car and it works well on both my bikes (1000RR & K1200LT). Mapping is easy, by using way points you end up on motorcyle roads not highways. You also get compus, trip caculator, elevation and any other bell or whistle I've ever heard of on a GPS unit. The i500 has no batteries you wire it into your 12v system. Do not plan on using this unit mounted on the bike it's just too big, you want the directions not the visuals anyway. The i500 is being discontinued so you can get a unit for about $325 vs the $700 it sold for six month ago. The external antenna is about $75 if you shop it on line. In my opinion all the GPS units that are big enough too see while riding are just too big for a sport bike making this monster sized unit a good option. The unit does not have blue tooth (it has MP3 but I do not use it). I hook up my MP3, radar detector and GPS through my communicator so I'm not really interested in blue tooth. Works for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts