Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a flat yesterday, Damn nail.:rant:
But has anyone used tire Slime in there tires?
http://www.slime.com/moto/index.php
I have pluged the tire but want added protection.
I have heard bad and good issues with the product But just wanted to see if any one has used it for prolonged amount of time. I dont want ruin the tire any with the Slime. Of which I have been warned about with this product. But I dont want to replace the tire till spring.
Any help would be great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the tire is properly plugged, and not leaking, then why complicate things?:idunno:

Personally, I've had very good luck with plugs. Just keep an eye on it for slow leaks and the plug working itself out, and manage it from there.

My biggest fear (since no personal experience with Slime) is that it will puddle when stopped and then be a significant (for a motorcycle tire and vehicle weight) out of balance condition until it redistributes itself. When cold, this self-balancing might not happen for some time. I would think that would be a more real risk. :twocents:

·
Registered
6 Posts
gt702 said:
If the tire is properly plugged, and not leaking, then why complicate things?:idunno:
There are a lot of variables that can cause a crash. I'd include riding with a plugged tire. Like you said, why complicate things? It's just one more possibility of something going wrong to me. You may ride for 20 years with plugged tires and never have a problem. The price might be pretty high to pay for that one time it fails though. :shocked:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My stock tire on my 954 was plugged for almost 2 years, with no problems and I didnt even use the glue cuz the tube was empty.

I rode approx 6,000 miles on the plug, never worked its way out even the month I rode on secondary rubber

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tigerblade said:
There are a lot of variables that can cause a crash. I'd include riding with a plugged tire. Like you said, why complicate things? It's just one more possibility of something going wrong to me. You may ride for 20 years with plugged tires and never have a problem. The price might be pretty high to pay for that one time it fails though. :shocked:
Didn't want to start another "plug or not plug" debate. He did note replacement in the spring, and just getting through to then. If it is already plugged, and not leaking .... :idunno:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do not use slime in a MC tire. It is designed for ATV tires and low speed operation. Standard plugs are fine for getting you home, but as soon as possible you would want an internal patch plug put in to put any miles on. I am of the belief that plugs are fine for day to day riding, but when you go out to hit the twisties, just replace the tire...
Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NinerPilot said:
Do not use slime in a MC tire. It is designed for ATV tires and low speed operation. Standard plugs are fine for getting you home, but as soon as possible you would want an internal patch plug put in to put any miles on. I am of the belief that plugs are fine for day to day riding, but when you go out to hit the twisties, just replace the tire...
Chris
+1 slime should be an emergency to get home fix at most with immediate replacement and rim cleaning, also replace your valve stem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's kind of like using a 20-year-old helmet to me. Yeah, it'll probably be fine but I don't want to find out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
And please, if you use slime or fix-a-flat or anything of the sorts in any vehicle, please inform the tech who is going to repair it. I dont know how many times while swapping an atv tire I blew slime all over the tire machine and wall....
Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NinerPilot said:
And please, if you use slime or fix-a-flat or anything of the sorts in any vehicle, please inform the tech who is going to repair it. I dont know how many times while swapping an atv tire I blew slime all over the tire machine and wall....
Chris
What does that have todo with fix-a-flat stuff? :eyebrows:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wouldn't use it on anything except my riding mower or ATV. I would think that it would cause vibration at high speeds, even thought the slim is supposed too smooth out while riding I wouldn't trust it!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your bike is a street bike right!!! Don't mess with slime it's strickly off road 45 mph or less at lest for CCP graphite slime. Fix-a-flat stuff has worked for me in the past but the tire repair person might not want to touch your tire because it could explode on him so I'm told. Has any one suggested an old school added protection of an inner tube?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts