Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you buy a $600 helmet are you getting extra protection or just less weight, better looks, more comfort, etc? If anyone has any knowledge on the subject I'd love to know. When I see some of the Arai's and Suomy's I love them but I had a $200 Shoei on my head at the shop and it felt great. Is there an extra $400 in protection in the top of the line helmets?:confused:

G

·
I think its all hype. I wear Wranglers. You wear Levis. K-Mart or WalMart... Budweiser or Miller.... There's not doubt that you get what you pay for, but to a point... After that it's just bragging rights.
Your $200 helmet will protect as equally as a $700 helmet. Sure, the $700 one might be lighter, prettier, boast more ventilation, but what do we really need in a helmet. DOT APPROVED!!!!! Nothing more. Buy what you want, but just remember that in approximately 5 years you'll be buying another one due to estimated useable shelf life. And that's if you just kept it on your mantle.

Some reading material for you: http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/helmet_CSI.pdf

or just type motorcycle helmet shelf life in your seach bar and you'll have plenty to read

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you buy a $600 helmet are you getting extra protection or just less weight, better looks, more comfort, etc? If anyone has any knowledge on the subject I'd love to know. When I see some of the Arai's and Suomy's I love them but I had a $200 Shoei on my head at the shop and it felt great. Is there an extra $400 in protection in the top of the line helmets?:confused:

Just buy the expensive ones on sale. Problem solved :D

G

·
The buy the expensive ones on sale is a great idea, I got a 2005 Zemke replica Shoei RF1000 after he switched his paint job in 2006 for $275 when solid colors were still $350. Also, Motor Cyclist Magazine did a great article on helmet safety about a year and a half ago that i think was called "Flipping the Lid" that went in depth on the different ratings and what they mean, and actual tests of the different helmets. Results were not what you would expect... some of the cheap helmets are safer than the $650 ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the article. It answered every question I had. Proved some of my thoughts, disproved others.

On a different note. I have cut the top of a skull off and pulled a brain out. I'd say that it is worth protecting.

G

·
If you do some research on past posts you will find discussion about the Motorcyclists article. Be careful what you read...its not as clear cut as they make it seem. Me personaly will stick with my Snell rated helmet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts