Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i got my new Lid today...but i noticed that not too mant of you have the brand i bought. I bought an ICON Mainframe Manic, do you guys not like the Icons or just really like the ones you have that you have never switched brands?

I used to ride with HJC primarily but like the feel of the Icon

Thoughts, Comments, Complaints, Lemme hear 'em

·
Registered
8 Posts
I forget the actual manufacturer, but it would appear that Icon helmets are just rebadged KBCs or HJCs or something with a custom paint/decal job. I'm not certain if they are weave based or polycarbonate molded (or maybe they sell both), but if they have SNELL certification and fit correctly, I'm certain they'll do the job.

Once a helmet meets or exceeds several criteria, the biggest differences between brands are fit and finish, liner durability/comfort and ventilation. Most people complain about wind noise in a helmet with great ventilation or complain about lack of ventilation in a quiet helmet, so it appears that you can't get it both ways . . .

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what i was thinkin Abtech, as long as they have the Snell and DOT approval i am happy the next thing is comfort. And it just looks cool and obnoxious! and i definatly love that.

G

·
I think Icon has some cool graphics and some cool solids (the blue rubatone) and may actually look into them since I'm just about at the recommend replacement time for HJC.

G

·
Damn! I just remembered I have one of those "chrome" HJC's somewhere... That thing is horribly uncomfortable on me.

Anyone want to buy it? lol.

Are Icons really rebadged KBCs or HJCs? That sucks! I hate the HJC I have but I was thinking of buying the KBC to try it. I figure if it's good enough for Mladin....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my Mainframe Halo for 2.5 years and I'm going to replace it with another Icon (Rubatone) when it's time has passed.

Most comfortable helmet I've worn and it's quieter than most. Plus the internal setup with a place for earphones works out perfectly for the Chatterbox.

G

·
ND4SPD said:
Sponsorship ;) They wear what they get paid to wear.
For sure, but I would think that Mladin would be able to get sponsored by Shoei, Arai, Suomy, etc. and I don't see how KBC would be able to offer enough of an increase in money to matter.

Not saying it's not possible though.

G

·
Mladin has enough money, and loves his kid enough, that he would forgo any helmet sponsor money if he thought is was unsafe. I haven't asked his brother's, garbage man's, hair dresser's, house keeper's, live in girlfriend. But I'm certian of this.

HD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Heavy-Dee said:
Mladin has enough money, and loves his kid enough, that he would forgo any helmet sponsor money if he thought is was unsafe. I haven't asked his brother's, garbage man's, hair dresser's, house keeper's, live in girlfriend. But I'm certian of this.

HD
Unfortunately this isn't usually the case. The team works out most sponsorship deals in AMA racing and several have made unwise safety choices to make a few extra bucks. Google Larry Schwartzback to see how Vance and Hines had him running a pre production prototype CF helmet that exploded on impact with the asphalt at Mid Ohio. His family is still in court with all the involved parties.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts