Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
definitly looking to get a new leather coat as teh people on this board have turned me into a safety nazi. ive never purchased a leather riding jacket and not sure exatly how to go about getting ne that fits right, good ventilation, good brand names, etc.. i do mostly casual riding and dont put too many miles on my bike. i'd like to eventually do a track day but that wont be until i have a few more seasons under my belt. i'd love to take advantage of the calsportbike GB this board has on the icon apparrel, the only thing that sucks is no returns just in case the jacket doesnt fit so i have to get it right the first time :(

i am 24, 6'4" ... currently sitting at 253 lbs but im on a strict diet so i dont know how much more weight im going to loose (which 6 weeks ago i weighted in @ 282). i think im a 38 waist right now.

how should measurments be taken ? any other info you could give me would be awesome !

i like these jackets:

http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?cart_id=3954566.21100&pid=1445&count=1

http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?cart_id=3954566.21100&pid=1444&count=1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never owned anything from Icon, sorry. Do you have a store near you that sells their stuff so you can try it on before adding your order to the GB?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If possible check out Joe Rocket Speedmaster or Blaster jackets. JR tends to be a bit looser cut

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SPEED said:
I've never owned anything from Icon, sorry. Do you have a store near you that sells their stuff so you can try it on before adding your order to the GB?

Don't tell anybody this but....

I agree with SPEED.:puke: Try 'em on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, im gonna have to do that. most of the time when i go anywhere to try stuff on they never have 2x-3x. god knows what size jacket i'd be for a bike, like 6x

·
Registered
21 Posts
Brockton Cycle isn't too far, they have a bunch of Icon stuff in stock. You can go there to try it on. Let me know if you're gonna go, if I'm free I'll ride there with ya (I'm on your way to it anyway). Actually bought my bike there, they sucks balls for bikes but have a ton of gear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would also head down to Vanson in Fall River. My personal favorite by far. Definitely best if you have a larger build...I always have problems fitting my shoulders/chest into most off-the-rack leather (without the arms being too long)...a nice Vanson will only be around $350 on eBay, and last a lifetime...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You actually like that skull jacket? ...Wow... to each their own. I know my father in law almost had a heart attack when I picked out an Icon TiMax jacket. Definatly try it on- preferrably on a bike/your bike. Most dealers I know will let you take it to the showroom and sit on a bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being similarly endowed like you are :D , I've found Joe Rocket and Alpinestars jackets that fit. Cal-Sportbike has what you need in this regard:
http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?exact_match=yes&product=Jackets_-_Leather&cart_id=1031693.81653

I wouldn't spend money on a leather jacket (Icon) that you couldn't zip to pants, just in case you wanted to. Icon jackets are too bulky for me, and would "ride up" in the event of a down.

Or, to save some $$, you could even go this route:
http://www.newenough.com/product_group_mens_teknic.htm

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah Vanson isn't too far from him (he's like 30-45 minutes from me and Vanson is another 35-40 minutes). I'm down for either ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea, sounds like a good plan. maybe we'll actually get to do that once it stops snowing around here :). another ? .. how exactly is a leather riding jacket supposed to fit. i dont want to get it too big or too small

·
Registered
13 Posts
I see too many people with leather jackets about 2 sizes too big... You want to be able to zip it up without "sucking in" but be able to move around comfortably. Keep in mind that leather will break in, so dont confuse tightness with stiffness. When zipped up, and the waist adjusted properly, you should not be able to pull it up any. I also reccomend getting something that will allow you to zip it to some pants in the future. This is what I did. I started with a JR Speedmaster Jacket, then later got some Fieldsheer pants. Im a big guy too, so I feel your pain shopping for good gear.
Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea, when i get ole' bessy on the road im gonna have to meet up with one of you local guys to try some of this stuff on seeing i dont know exactly how it should fit... seeing i am a bigger guy i like to stay away from tight clothing for obvious reasons (read: Gunt). so im gonna have to find someone to kick me in the ass and say tough shit, thats how its supposed to be, your getting it !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts