Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anybody give HJC a good rating. I've got a cheap flip up helmet now that kills my head and it is loud as hell! I found an HJC at a local bike shop for $149.95 and it feels good on my head..lots of padding :clap: :clap:

input welcome :idunno:

I cannot afford to buy a $400 or $500 helmet :crying:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ConqSoft said:
HJC's are kinda the low-end of helmets (not the lowest though).

A good Shoei can be picked up for ~$300.

I think the cheapest shoei I saw in the shop here in town was like $400 or something. I really wanted an Arai, but way to $$$$$$ for me. Should I wait for a shoei? I want a quiet helmet mainly, but lots of comfort. I wear radio headphones when I ride too! :eyebrows: :eyebrows:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
It has been my experience that HJC helmets fit like Arai helmets, which is unlike the fit of Shoei helmets. In short, make sure you try a helmet on before you buy it online.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So shoei is the way to go is what I am hearing :clap: I'll have to save some more money and put off getting the new Joe rocket jacket $299.95 :crying:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
cbrman954 said:
So shoei is the way to go is what I am hearing :clap: I'll have to save some more money and put off getting the new Joe rocket jacket $299.95 :crying:
Only if you have a "Shoei Head". You need to get the type that fits your head, as Pete mentioned.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ConqSoft said:
Only if you have a "Shoei Head". You need to get the type that fits your head, as Pete mentioned.
Well then I have an HJC head! I tried on a shoei and the arai, and they both don't feel right. I do have a funny head I guess, but I'm going to go with the comfort. :thumb: Hell they are all going to hold up the same against the pavement :eek: The DOT rating is the same
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help :thumb: This site is really on the ball, I have never seen responses so fast :eek:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cbrman954 said:
Thanks for the help :thumb: This site is really on the ball, I have never seen responses so fast :eek:
All just a bunch of whore just waiting to get in our comments :thumb:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Arai RX7-RR/Corsairs, Arai Quantum, and HJC are all round helmets. The Arai Signet, Shoei, and Suomi are ovals. And if you really have a weird melon, then you got the Arai Astral, which is a round oval. :huh:

HJC is not a bad helmet as far as safety and protection. They are just as good as the premium class helmets. The only difference is that HJC doesn't have all the bells and whistles the premiums do. Their liner is not as plush and they don't have the fancy venting systems or super quick release shields. But in an accident, none of that counts. An old HJC LT-20 saved my head a couple years ago when I busted my arse at about 45 MPH. The helmet took the brunt of the damage, as it should.

If money is an object and you have to have some nice features, there is the new line of HJC AC series. The old AC-10 and new AC-11 are pretty nice. Not as good as Arai or Shoei, but pretty close. And with a tight wallet, they run ballpark $125 on eBay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
CRU said:
:huh:

HJC is not a bad helmet as far as safety and protection. They are just as good as the premium class helmets.
Says who?

:bs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
CRU the HJCs do come with quick release visor.
I wouldn't go as far as to say they are even with the higher end helmet. Never heard of any racer (or racing governing body) saying all you need is DOT approval. You usually need Snell approval. My HJC that I have/had (a friend still has it form his drag strip days in his mustang) was snell certified. but my Suomy isn't snell certified but meets British standards which are harder I think. I did like my HJC CS-12 I think but it in no way compares to my Suomy. Some of those bells and whistles I think actually do make the helmet safer. Keeping your head cool in hot conditions, a very comfortable liner, and light weight preventing neck strain are all good features that help keep you more focused on the riding so that makes them safer. Remember you get what you pay for. That being said the HJC isn't a bad helmet.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are ever over by Huntsville AL I can tell you a place that has closeout Arai's at a decent price. Also as far as loud ride with earplugs (I got some from WalMart with a hole in the center that decrease sound but still let you hear the engine), my Arai is well vented and loud also.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Helmet Harbor did a good write up on the KBC Racer-1 and VR-1's. That's the helmet that Mat Mladin wears. They said for the price, they are the best value.

Here is the write up on the Racer-1. I was seriously considering this helmet and then found an Arai RX-7 on E-bay, brand new from a dealership that couldn't sell it for cheap ($360). Still, the Racer-1 was going to be my choice.

http://www.helmetharbor.com/streethelmets/helmets/kbc/photo_session_racer_1.htm

-Shrub
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WetShrub said:
Helmet Harbor did a good write up on the KBC Racer-1 and VR-1's. That's the helmet that Mat Mladin wears. They said for the price, they are the best value.

Here is the write up on the Racer-1. I was seriously considering this helmet and then found an Arai RX-7 on E-bay, brand new from a dealership that couldn't sell it for cheap ($360). Still, the Racer-1 was going to be my choice.

http://www.helmetharbor.com/streethelmets/helmets/kbc/photo_session_racer_1.htm

-Shrub
I had the Racer 1 at one point and there is no comparison to my X11.

It was a good helmet but the shoei is just better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I think all the higher end helmets are gonna be louder than the cheap ones because more vents let in more air and that makes noise. My Suomy is a lot louder than my HJC and I was pisses at first because it cost me $430. But after riding with it a bunch I wouldn't trade it for a lesser helmet. I think the weight difference might be the biggest thing I like about the switch. Leaning forward on the bike puts a lot of strain on your neck from holding your head up. But I also love the venting even though I don't have the forehead vent like the HJC, but the rest of my head being cool makes up for it. Removable, washable lining is also very nice, no more sweaty helmet stink, plus its soft as hell.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TGZ13 said:
I had the Racer 1 at one point and there is no comparison to my X11.

It was a good helmet but the shoei is just better
They said that as well. That the Suomy top of the line, Shoei top of the line, and Arai top of the line were all better than the Racer-1, however for the VALUE the Racer-1 couldn't be beat.

-Shrub
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
luvtolean said:
Says who?

:bs:
Says Motorcycle Consumer News. Voted by them as dollar-for-dollar, the best helmets on the market. Of course, this was about 3 years ago, last I read.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top