Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I hit hard but I did scrape the finish rather bad on my helmet at Baaa-rber. Is there any way you can tell if it is in need of retirement? If the answer is no it goes on the shelf as I value my hide a LOT. However if not I don't mind cosmetic damage as I am not as purdy as y'all anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you hit your head on the pavement after coming off the bike, I would shelve it. I know you can send an Arai to them for Xray, but I don't think it's worth the trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you lowside twice in one year, it's the helmet's fault and should be taught a lesson by smashing it in your driveway.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Though I admit I don't strictly follow the rule with dirt helmets, you should consider it garbage.

Get a new one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you hit your head on the pavement after coming off the bike, I would shelve it. I know you can send an Arai to them for Xray, but I don't think it's worth the trouble.
Know anyone that has? What kind of $$$?

I think I hit then as I rolled to get in a better sliding position I scraped it pretty hard rather than touching down on impact. Of course I cannot be 100% on that.... Just thinking as I got time before I will use that helmet again (if at all)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Know anyone that has? What kind of $$$?

I think I hit then as I rolled to get in a better sliding position I scraped it pretty hard rather than touching down on impact. Of course I cannot be 100% on that.... Just thinking as I got time before I will use that helmet again (if at all)
Just chuck it. I put a couple scrapes in mine on my lowside this year and it wasn't worth questioning. I prefer to keep my head intact.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
next time you wreck if it splits down the middle then you should have replaced it:eyebrows:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will put it to you this way. If you walked through tech at any racing event I know of with that helmet, they would tell you it can't be used. Some orgs would confiscate it, cut the strap off and give it back to you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yep, AFM cuts them off ASAP.

They had incidents of morons taking helmets that had hit hard and repainting them...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will put it to you this way. If you walked through tech at any racing event I know of with that helmet, they would tell you it can't be used. Some orgs would confiscate it, cut the strap off and give it back to you.
:down: there you going sucking all the hope out of life :down:

j/k I think the answer is shelve it and get a test Shoei to go with my other Corsair. But it was such a cool blue.... must have been the green on it that failed....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think arai charges to X-ray them but you will have to pay shipping. If its good I think they send you a dated cert that should be good with the race org's.

Most people I know that race take a spare to the track just in cause they fall before the weekend is over, with the price of trackdays it might not be a bad idea for them either.

One other thing to keep in mind is most race org's also look at the manufacture date inside the helmet, so if its old your due for one anyway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If it tries to smothher you with a pillow while you sleep, or you come home and find it trying to get the safety glasses to drink, or even smoking and sharing stories with the rubbers...it's bad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think arai charges to X-ray them but you will have to pay shipping. If its good I think they send you a dated cert that should be good with the race org's.

Most people I know that race take a spare to the track just in cause they fall before the weekend is over, with the price of trackdays it might not be a bad idea for them either.

One other thing to keep in mind is most race org's also look at the manufacture date inside the helmet, so if its old your due for one anyway.
Thanks I might them a call and make it my back up. (or get a X11 to compare with my RX7) As far as age it was a new Blue Tommy Gun this year :hss:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I try to remove my lid before going down. It's just difficult to place the helmet down slowly when my body is moving so fast! I'll get it right one day!
:hmm:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've always wondered if the helmet manufacturer ever returns them with a seal of approval? "Hmm...nope, your lid is toast. Give us more $$$ for a new one."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts