Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a good tire guage for track use. One that is accurate to .5 lbs incrimets and is durable. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: I need a GOOD tire guage

Hammer said:
So which one is it?
Get the one with the rubber insulator around it because you WILL drop it, no matter how careful you are . . .

Also, get the correct range, as this will affect accuracy. Mine is 0 to 60 pounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hammer said:
They have a 1-40 and a 1-60 lbs models.
Their 1 to 40 should be fine for the bike. I use mine for my cars and truck as well, so I needed the 60 pound resolution.

FYI, I have had mine checked about 20 times vs the calibrated guages that the tire guys use and only once was it more than a pound off (and it was 8 pounds off then, so I have to assume his guage was fubar). I sent mine back for calibration once and they said it was within .5 pound without adjustment, so I am reasonably confident in this guage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey, the one on the left is an Accugauge, but isn't the one on the right with the blue rubber around it a Quicktire liquid filled gauge? I have one of those, too, and it seems to be as accurate as the Accugauges. I have a couple of those, too, and they're each a couple pounds different from each other. Still, much more accurate than anything else out there. I like 'em both.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I think it was Motorcycle Consumer News that just did a big tire pressure guage "shootout", and the Accugage tested the most accurate and the easiest to use. Oh, and the rubber cover is "bling" only (don't ask me how I know). These really are precision instruments and do not take drops well.:twocents:

·
Registered
175 Posts

I have an Afco (circle track racing brand gauge) that's quite good. Not great, but good. I checked it every year for three years, and it was always the same, 1 pound off.

The most important thing once you get a good gauge, is that you get it calibrated. The race tire vendors can do this for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts

luvtolean said:
I have an Afco (circle track racing brand gauge) that's quite good. Not great, but good. I checked it every year for three years, and it was always the same, 1 pound off.

The most important thing once you get a good gauge, is that you get it calibrated. The race tire vendors can do this for you.
Unfortunately, the Metzler guy's guage is usually way off, so you may want to try one of the other vendors . . .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Just ordered one from Sport and comp. Looks like a decent company for supplies and talked to Todd, nice guy seems like.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hammer said:
Just ordered one from Sport and comp. Looks like a decent company for supplies and talked to Todd, nice guy seems like.
They have been one of our sponsors for 15 years and have always treated us right. They usually have a lot of the small stuff that no one else seems to want to carry, like different sizes of Dzus fasteners (with matching sized rivets), master cylinder banjo bleeders & other assorted bits.

Just don't call them Sport & Comp . . .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I finally broke down and bought some stuff from Street & Comp this weekend. It took me a few minutes to get used to the web site (cart gets reset if you navigate wrong), but it all worked out in the end. Like Abtech said, lots of unique stuff. I ordered the Quickcar 0-40psi gauge, some safety wire jigs, tire crayon, Stomp Grip, and new sprocket for the Marchi's. He sent me an email Monday morning telling me the sprocket was out of stock and gave me at ETA on arrival. Great service, and everything else arrived today! :thumb:

Back to the original subject, the Quickcar gauge is very nice... Accurate markings down to the single psi ticks, no air loss when measuring, and it just feels like it's built solid!

·
Registered
8 Posts

They admit the website is lame at best. You may want to manually dial their 800 number and I would ask for Dan @ Ext 202.

Mention Fireblades.org and they may treat you even better!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Got mine last week, it is a very good product with a helpful staff as well. I did call the 800 #. Even for me (computer illeterate) the site sucks. I could loose my paycheck in that place. But i've lost it elsewhere.

·
Registered
175 Posts

abtech said:
They admit the website is lame at best.
You know, that baffles me. It's not that pricy nor difficult to find someone to improve that site. They could probably give someone a good deal on product and get a real improvement.

·
Registered
76 Posts

luvtolean said:
You know, that baffles me. It's not that pricy nor difficult to find someone to improve that site. They could probably give someone a good deal on product and get a real improvement.
I'd do it for a few free goodies.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.