Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I'm looking for a new helmet! Does anyone own an ICON? If so, do you like it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have an ICON hooligan, I love it, its quiet and fits me very very well. It could be a little more fog resistant though.....but I guess you can't have everything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a few ICON helmets. I like the fit, finish, and over all quality of them. I really think it's one of the best helmets out there for a decent price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just bought a scorpion, and its great, the salesman said he has owned 2 icon and both fell apart after a year,

the scorpion practically has no fog at all what so ever , plus its got this cool in helmet flip down tinted visor/glasses

kinda makes u look like speed racer or something i love it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just bought a scorpion, and its great, the salesman said he has owned 2 icon and both fell apart after a year,

the scorpion practically has no fog at all what so ever , plus its got this cool in helmet flip down tinted visor/glasses

kinda makes u look like speed racer or something i love it
Damn I need to find a Scorpion dealer that actually has the EXO1000 in stock to check it out. I have the HJC FS10 or something with the flip down visor and it is a very nice helmet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a Icon Mainframe, I love it. It fits my head so well. I know people that have crashed in them and they hold up extremely well in crashes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the mainframe helmet also and it fits & performs well. The only down side to it is that it is a weighs a bit more than some other helmets on the market- but for the price you can't beat it !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an Icon Alliance Burner. IMO the helmet is ok, not great but not bad. Kinda heavy and not super comfy. I recently bought the HJC Carbon Vador and love it. Light as feather, well made and comfortable. A little more wind noise than the Alliance though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not owned an Icon but My buddys have had them. I find them pretty cheap. I am used to SHOEI helmets so I like high quality lids. I now wear a scorpian. The helmet is very inexpensive and has construction very like Shoei and the fit and finish is top notch. I highly reccommend them. They also have removable liners that can be cleaned or the size changed. Stay away from HJC, Icon, Shark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have an alliance battlecry, i like it. great value for the money. as far as staying away from hjc icon and shark i think ur full of crap. shark's are great and hjc are great helmets if you buy the higherend ones. But i am up grading to the Suomy spec1R. i always wore Suomy for MX but didnt have the money to buy the one i wanted when i started riding street bikes. they are very comfortable, durable, light, and have great finish to them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know the old saying "how much is your head worth?" - well for me its worth about 400 bucks:freebird: . The Icon helmets fit into the category of a good helmet at a low price. Thats why I'll be riding with mine for the next couple years.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This from a guy who admittedly never owned one.
Yes I have never owned one bacause every one I have looked at, tried on or worn that was a buddys was a cheap feeling, ill fitting pile. The construction of some of them is almost an insult. I have always tried to get the best helmet I could and I just wont put my head in some cheapy plasticy lid. I ride with a few guys that bought these helmets when they got their first bike. They had the same reasoning most people do at first which is "oh it looks cool and its cheap... the counter guy said it was good... I dont think Shoei or Arai is THAT much better blah blah" Without fail after a couple months they all wanted better lids. Buy what you want but I rather not skimp on my head.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know what models you tried on, but mine fits my head shape better than any helmet i've had on, and yes that includes high end ones. And while it is a bit heavier than my friends Arai I find it very comfortable, very quiet and very well made. For example, mine came with a very nice chin curtain that goes back about an inch and a half. The Arai's chin curtain is nonexistant. Granted that's only a small example, but its an example nevertheless. I guess some people can't see that quality gear is available from other than the big racing sponsors.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I guess I can see that quality gear is offered from other then the big names because I wear a scorpian. I rather have a high quality helmet with state of the art shell construction, quality padding and foam, good reliable well designed vents, strap and visor then a cheap one with a gee wizz graphic and all sorts of gadgets on it. The shell and padding material and construction is just not that good on some cheap helmets sorry. Sit an HJC next to a Shoei or scorpian the construction is just not as nice and the feel is cheap at least to me and most everyone I know. If you bought a cheap lid and like it fine. If you are satisfied with having a low quality helmet protecting your brain fine. In MY opinion and exp they are not as well made as the other helmets I mentioned.I have found most people that have gained real riding exp do not like HJC or Icon helmets for the same reasons I mentioned. I also have found no one I know that races would ever wear them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wear an HJC lid because the guy at the counter told me to when I first bought my bike and because it looks cool. Had problems from the start and when it came time to by one for the wife I got her an Icon because "my friends" that had them all liked the fit and quietness of them, if that is a word. Doom and Tattoo, you guys need to start a sidebar, he is trying to get help here:spank: .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am trying to help. I have been riding for almost 20 years and have a bit of exp with helmets. In my exp the helmets I mentioned are not as good sorry. My suggestion is for the money a scorpian is the best deal. Of course if those do not fit you then I dont suggest buying a helmet that you cannot stand either.
Sorry for my typing. I am typing with one hand since I had a wheel explode on me a couple weeks ago and just had surgery to fix it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was lookin for a ICON at first but ended up buying a shark. the shark is light, comfortable, and fairly quiet for the price. I will probably buy a icon next.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.