Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a mesh jacket and pants, and I will wear them when it gets toasty. I know leather is better, but I'm really curious if the mesh will do anything in a crash. Anyone with wisdom on th subject? Anyone crash in the stuff?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have never crashed a motorcycle(and hope I never do), but I do wear a(free advertisement) Cortech GX-Air jacket. If its anything like the flak vest that I wore when I was downhill bicycle racing, it will help it a point. The fastest I ever went down on my bicycle was about 45mph in a rock garden section at Snowshoe, WV. The mesh held up pretty good, minimal scrapes, but still got really bruised up.
The motorcycle mesh jackets are probably good up to 50mph... and if anyone out there has crash experience in a mesh jacket, please enlighten us all!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been down a few times. once in jeans and a sweatshirt, once in jeans and a t-shirt, once in full leathers. I would imagine the mesh would be OK, but it does'nt slide as well(like leather) and I'm guessing by the construction would rip and snag more easily. The armor in my mesh(if you can call it armour) is just foam CE and I cant imagine it will do a whole lot but who knows. I wear my mesh in the summer because I figure it's better than nothing. Bought it 2 yrs ago when I was down south riding the dragon because the leather in 95 deg weather was brutal. Just a thought from hear, and I'm sure most of the protection is all in my head.:twocents:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't crashed in mesh gear, but I assume mesh gear is way better than no gear at all.

Would you give up some protection in order to be more comfortable? There's no wrong answer, it's a personal choice.

I wear a mesh jacket in really hot weather (which is approx 2wks per year) and I also ride less aggressively in order to compensate. I have found that this works well for me. :thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dont dress for the ride
dress for the wreck
spend as much as you can on the quality not the cool colors or other hoopla
the asphalt hurts alot more coming out than going in
also rivets adn sliders in your leathers are good as you have less of a tendency to grip the road adn flip about like a fish

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I slid acroos the pavement at 80 in october in a joe rocket phoniex mesh and i looks rough but I didnt get a bit of rash except were my jeans ripped. It is way better than nothing!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
havent crashed yet but I do rock an Icon Ti-max mesh jacket on the warmer days. Although not too many people here like Icon..personally i love the fit and feel of it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing but leather no matter how hot it is. Just drink more water!!!!! I'm a gear Nazi, full leathers even to the gas station and back. Been down four times at different speeds. Only one of those times was because of how or what I was doing. I don't trust anyone else on the road, so I trust my leathers!:twocents:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dont dress for the ride
dress for the wreck
spend as much as you can on the quality not the cool colors or other hoopla
the asphalt hurts alot more coming out than going in
also rivets adn sliders in your leathers are good as you have less of a tendency to grip the road adn flip about like a fish
Easy to say in NY but try riding in full leathers for an entire day in the south. Pick your month June, July or August :rotfl: A short ride yep you can take it but try an eight hour type ride. At the track you have 20 on and 40 off with lots of opportunity to hydrate (though you are working harder at the track) Just something to consider as the 95 day at the Dragon referred to is the norm in summer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those saying the stuff is no good, what is your basis? Have you crashed in mesh and seen it disintegrate? Or does it just look too flimsy?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those saying the stuff is no good, what is your basis? Have you crashed in mesh and seen it disintegrate? Or does it just look too flimsy?
Scientific test data of protective performance values, including abrasion resistance, tear resistance, cut resistance, cuff restraint, and impact protection. Even the best of textiles can't hit the mark for comfort zones of whole suits for the minimum requirements of the basic CE guidelines for whole suits/jackets/pants. It's a difference of lastng 0.5 seconds in the abrasion test vs the need of 4 sec in impact zones. The test requirements are based on street speed riding.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! Any links or published data? This sounds hugely important, and it also sounds like a lot of bikers are being defrauded to at least a small degree.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My friend crashed in the Canyons in his mesh jacket. When i saw the rash on his upper arm, I was pretty shocked. He said the mesh from the jacket rubbed against his skin during the crash giving him the rash. It looked pretty bad..... BUT... I'm sure it woulda looked worse w/o the mesh jacket. Maybe if u got a really tight mesh jacket???....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I am 6' 6" and I am looking at the joe rocket phoenix 4.0 textile in a tall size because i cant afford a nice leather right now and I cant find one in a taller size. Any suggestions are welcome. I think something is better than nothing but yet I am pretty new at this stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've seen mesh jackets w/ good armor hold up in -60mph get offs, I even wear one, but ONLY when tooling around town. When I goin' for real in the twisties, only full leathers will do.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts