Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
neither of these are as good as leather but which would be better? and which brands are best?

any reviews?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Steel...as in the metal?

Jeez.

Kevlar.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I thought for sure this was an Icon product, but it's their close cousin, Joe Rocket.

Joe Rocket Steel Motorcycle Jeans

I have to admit, they look kinda cool as casual wear. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah icon makes a pair with a liner of kevlar in them. was wondering if there where any tests done where they drag the jeans behind a car and see how they hold up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Like shit of course.

If you care, buy leather.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have been using Draggin' jeans. Haven't tested them yet, thankfully!
After reading that thread about the girl who fell off the bike I am thinking I need something with more protection. Especially in the knee areas!
What are you all using? Do wear them over jeans, or instead of?

·
Registered
175 Posts
No. Any material that is not leather will not approach it in abrasion resistance.

These jeans don't have any impact protection either.

A high quality Aerostitch suit (which is a mix of Kevlar/ballistic nylon etc etc), or decent quality (and up) leather are the only options that are recommendable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm with LTL on this one. When I ride, it's a full 2 piece leather suit or the Aerostich. If it's too hot to put on full gear, then it's too hot to ride.
My street leathers are fully perforated, and as long as I'm moving, they aren't bad. I wear Underarmour hot gear pants or similar leggings under the pants. On the really hot days, I wear an Underarmour shirt instead of a T-shirt under the jacket. That really helps keep me cool.
I'd rather sweat than bleed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree HGT, I am wearing the gear (except the armoured pants-yet!), but where I am if I don't ride if it's too hot to wear the gear, the bike would be parked from May to Sept! I still wear the gear, though. Soggily(?):(
I am planning to get a full set of perforated leathers. I am thinking that if I get a 2 pc, I will be able to use it both track and street. Is this realistic, or do the advantages of a 1 pc at the track that much greater?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A one piece will offer greater protection on the track, although I've never seen a high end suit with a full-circumference zipper come apart. Examine the way the zipper attaches. My custom Vanson has it attached with a very short piece of cloth, no cloth really, the zipper is sewn right on, if that makes sense. I'd trust that zipper on the track (although I have a one piece for track use only). On the other hand, I wouldn't trust the zipper on Vanson's off the rack stuff. To keep the adjustable waist, they have a stupid 3 piece zipper that looks like it'd unzip itself pretty easily. Other 2 piece off the rack suits I've seen have the zipper attached with a 1-2 inch wide piece of cloth or nylon material that concerns me.
If you get one suit and it'll be mostly for street riding, a good 2 piece might be the way to go. I would hate my one piece on the street, because when you stop for lunch, you've got it dragging around behind you. Not to mention that if it fits correctly, you've got to wrestle in and out of it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks! I am seeing what you mean about the 1 pc. Tried a couple on the other day, a Teckniks, and an Agv, Ithink.
The Teck was used (looked like new), and after my pretty much getting stuck in it ,the shop owner remembered the guy had had it custom tailored. Apparently quite ammusing to the other patrons!:rotfl:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks! I am seeing what you mean about the 1 pc. Tried a couple on the other day, a Teckniks, and an Agv, Ithink.
The Teck was used (looked like new), and after my pretty much getting stuck in it ,the shop owner remembered the guy had had it custom tailored. Apparently quite ammusing to the other patrons!:rotfl:
I'll bet! :D However, they should fit snugly. I usually need someone to pull one arm off, and to help get it up over my back protector. If you can get in and out of it easily, it's too big!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a pair of Draggin jeans with Knox knee armour in them, I love them. I where those for quick spins or when it's extremely hot and my full leathers for longer more spirited runs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About 4 years a go, along side a CA twisty mountain road, I found myself sitting with a rider who was wearing the "kevlar" jeans, a really cool looking jacket, and some kind of street gloves. I didn't know the guy but there he was, bike off the road and he a bloody mess. Went through all my tee-shirts soaking up the weeping wounds on his legs, chest, back, arms and hands till the ambulance showed up.

Wear full protection.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts