Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a question for you guys riding on the street.

I am wearing these Icon jeans, but they have no armor build into them, just abrasion protection.

I wear boots, or will as soon as they get here in the mail, so those will have my shins covered, but not my knees.

Anyone using shin/knee pads in conjunction with boots, or just leaving' em' bare?

I saw some decent ones they all seem to cover the shin as well, not sure that will work well with boots...

This is the set I had in mind:

Icon Field Armor Leg - Icon Back Protection & Armor - KneeDraggers.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I never used knee armor before i crashed...then after a week or two of not being able to bend them, i started to wear it all the time. I would if i were you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wear pants with knee armor in all the time. Either leather pants (part of a 2 piece suit) or the Aerostich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always wear my Dainese 2 piece suit any time I'm out. Pants have the knee armor right there. Saved my butt again last night, and I will say DEFINITELY wear them. My suggestion would be getting a 2 piece, but everyone doesn't have the $$ to pick them up. I rode without for a few years until I went down and busted my knees up pretty bad. Now it's like my American Express card, I never leave home without 'em!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good idea! All I can think about is how much it hurts when I whap my kneecap into a drawer or something. Then multiply that by 10000000000+ because that's how much more the force will be if you hit the pavement on your knees at speed. I can't ride in anything but full gear. If I were to wear just jeans, I'd feel naked, as they don't offer much in the way of protection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I ordered some A* track pants, these should zip to my A* Stage perforated jacket, but when I get around to it I am going to order that new S-MX Air-Flo jacket. I would have already, but I can't get past the idea of wearing a jacket with a hump, riding a dual-sport.

I can't see myself commuting in these pants every day, but I guess I will see how it goes.

If all goes well I will have my paperwork within the coming weeks and get something worth riding!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I ordered some A* track pants, these should zip to my A* Stage perforated jacket, but when I get around to it I am going to order that new S-MX Air-Flo jacket. I would have already, but I can't get past the idea of wearing a jacket with a hump, riding a dual-sport.

I can't see myself commuting in these pants every day, but I guess I will see how it goes.

If all goes well I will have my paperwork within the coming weeks and get something worth riding!
:thumb: Ya, for commuting you'll have to pack a pair of pants and shoes, but it'll be worth it if you fall. That's where the Aerostich, as unflattering as it is, is a good piece of gear, as it's meant to be worn over street clothes. Perfect for commuting, but pricey.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can wear motocross style knee/shin guards under your jeans. Icon makes some knee protectors as well. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aerostitch huh...

About the knee/shin armor/pads, I am not confident they work well with boots. I have read much the opposite.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Knee armor works fine with boots. Some knee armor has a piece that extends down to the shin. With one pair of boots, I had to trim it a bit, as it wouldn't fit inside the boots. On my current set of leathers and boots, the shin piece fits fine inside the boots, so it'll just depend on the armor and boots. Most good boots also have shin protection, so if you had to trim the knee armor a bit, it should be ok.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well at this point, I will wait for my boots and pants in the mail and see how they mate when they arrive. I will go ahead and order those Icon Field armor knee/shin pads as well once I see how the boots fit. They look to be hard armor, so I am not confident I can trim them easily.I will do what I can, and I appreciate all your help very much!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no problem. The armor with my Vansons is a bit different. The knee armor is hard, but the piece extending down the shin is a soft pad, easily trimmed.
Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts