Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody actually own any? I know Boo wears it, and I know Trackoholic wears it...

I'm interested in a new set of gloves. My A*'s are getting old and worn. How is their sizing compared to A*?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hammer said:
If I was looking to spend that kind of $$$ for gear I would be looking at custom leathers.
I'm only looking at gloves for now. My suit will have to make do for another season...unless I crash and tear it up.

Even then, off the shelf stuff fits me fine. Being noodly has its advantages :D

G

·
Heavy-Dee said:
I wasn't impressed w/ the gloves. They had a crappy closure mechanism. I'd go w/ the A*'s again.

HD
Well, admittedly, they don't match the suzuki colors exactly, but the closure system is pretty similar to the Alpinestars that I've seen -
Wrist belt held by a velcro overflap and a large cuff velcro area.:idunno:

http://kushitani.com/pro/0htm/glove_htm/k5046.htm

I don't own them, and the factor that concerned me more ( besides the relatively high price) was the lack of the now-ubiquitous carbon knucks. But a lot of people don't like those either. They were highly rated in a recent Motorcyclist for that very reason.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carbon knucks have been known to explode, no? From what Jim has showed me about the K-foam, it seems pretty impressive.

G

·
Heavy-Dee said:
I wasn't impressed w/ the gloves. They had a crappy closure mechanism. I'd go w/ the A*'s again.

HD
What's wrong with the closure system?:idunno: Pretty much like the rest of the gloves out there imho. Wrist strap along with a velcro guantlet closure.... I've been happy with mine. Been down in one minor lowside and held up decently. A couple buddies wear them and like them too fwtw.

G

·
CBRVFR said:
Well, admittedly, they don't match the suzuki colors exactly, but the closure system is pretty similar to the Alpinestars that I've seen -
Wrist belt held by a velcro overflap and a large cuff velcro area.:idunno:

http://kushitani.com/pro/0htm/glove_htm/k5046.htm

I don't own them, and the factor that concerned me more ( besides the relatively high price) was the lack of the now-ubiquitous carbon knucks. But a lot of people don't like those either. They were highly rated in a recent Motorcyclist for that very reason.
When Boo and Jim came to Nelson the first time year before last, I helped out as a pit lackey and remember Boo fighting w/ them all the time. The wrist strap kept coming out of the loop and you'd have to fight to fish it back through all the time. After seeing him almost flip out on it 30 secs before 3rd and final call, I took it upon myself to get his gloves ready for him. Hand them to him, and make damn sure that that strap didn't come back through the loop. :thumbd:

I had fun anyway. :D

HD

G

·
Heavy-Dee said:
When Boo and Jim came to Nelson the first time year before last, I helped out as a pit lackey and remember Boo fighting w/ them all the time. The wrist strap kept coming out of the loop and you'd have to fight to fish it back through all the time. After seeing him almost flip out on it 30 secs before 3rd and final call, I took it upon myself to get his gloves ready for him. Hand them to him, and make damn sure that that strap didn't come back through the loop. :thumbd:

I had fun anyway. :D

HD
At least you didn't have to take parts off your honda to keep those brand X gloves running... :poke:

How's Jim ?

G

·
I've got a pair of Kushitani GPR3 gloves. My only complaint is that even with an XL pair, it's tight across the knuckles... but I think that was just a design issue with that model. I've tried the GPR5's on without the same tightness.

I've crashed my GPR3's twice now at the track and they've held up well with nothing coming apart.

I would definitely recommend them.

G

·
CBRVFR said:
At least you didn't have to take parts off your honda to keep those brand X gloves running... :poke:

How's Jim ?
NIce. Jim? Do you mean Fearj or Trackoholic? Fearj is good. Just had rotator cuff surgery. My wife being a PT was giving him some therapy tips the other night.

Other than that not too much new. Just hope that with school this summer that I can still race this year. My goal this year, is to keep up with him. He was running pretty well last year.

I haven't heard from Trackoholic in a while. We all know about how he's moving west. I'm happy for him personally, and I wish that thread on Wera would die already.

HD

G

·
[Minor Threadjack]

Concerning the knucks...anyone know which is better, carbon or plastic... :allears:
My carbon A/S *did* work, but were nearly ground through.

At first glance I would think a good engineered plastic would outperform carbon, but would like to hear some other opinion or anecdotes before I buy my next pair of gloves...

G

·
Baketech said:
[Minor Threadjack]

Concerning the knucks...anyone know which is better, carbon or plastic... :allears:
My carbon A/S *did* work, but were nearly ground through.

At first glance I would think a good engineered plastic would outperform carbon, but would like to hear some other opinion or anecdotes before I buy my next pair of gloves...
I'm no materials engineer or whatever, but I'd be skeptical if someone said that there was a significant difference. But what do I know? I'm just a computer geek, wanna be big wig ya know?

HD

G

·
HD - I was speaking of FearJ - Please give him my best wishes for a full recovery. Sure would be nice to see you guys at Grattan. Like for a day or whatever. At Grattan. Not too far from Cleveland really. Grattan, that is..

Bake - As long as we're talking about urban legends here, I've heard that some of the carbon-look glove knuck inserts are just molded plastic. The mythological problem occurs if it shatters and drives shards into the back of your hand.

The Tecnic gloves I'm wearing at the track have the plastic housed in its own separate leather envelope, so I have 2 layers of leather and some foam between my knucks and the plastic. I haven't tried it out as far as driving my fist through the side window of a pickup truck to haul some offending driver out so I can headbutt them into unconciousness with my helmet and drag them out into traffic. Can't wait to try that, though. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts