Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I am new to the forum, but I was wondering if anyone else has experianced off road situations with lack of power? I have found that because of Honda's choice of no low range, I can not crawl up to a 6" vertical lift, and power the vehicle over the rock. No matter how long I stay on the throttle, it simply will not develope enough torque to either spin all four, or climb the rock. Is this normal, or do I have some defect?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I CLIMBED A PICKNIC BENCH THE OTHER DAY. I HAVE ALSO CLIMBED OVER SOME PRETTY GOOD SIZED LOGS. I THINK YOU MAY HAVE A PROBLEM.:idunno:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome!

Hour many hours on your machine?

What size wheels and tires do you have installed?

You say; I can not crawl up to a 6" vertical lift, and power the vehicle over the rock. No matter how long I stay on the throttle, it simply will not develop enough torque to either spin all four, or climb the rock.
Can I assume the tires are on dirt?

What if anything have you done to address this concern, taken it to dealer, done work yourself, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is all stock at this point. Stock tires, stock exhaust, pretty much stock weight. I only have 147 miles on it.

Now just to be sure we all know what I am talking about, from a dead stop climbing straight up a 6" step with the entire front or rear. My case was a 6" step up a rock. If I had a run at it then no problem, but from a dead stop huge problem.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Can’t say I’ve had that concern.
If I was to come up on a 6 to 10 inch log I would be able to climb it. Have not tried it with the rear axle in reverse. The reason I say 6 to 10 inch is because when I get the front axle over the log the frame will drag on the bottom of BR. Keep in mind all my accessories weight and me.
Do you recall this NOT being an issue before?
Have you had your service?
Ride in dusty conditions?
Checked your air filter?
Have you pulled the spark plug and inspected?
Here’s a little guide Century Performance Center, Inc. :: Spark Plug Reading
Or just take a picture of yours and post it.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I have to climb and 8-10" concrete wall to get into the new part of my garage. I always drive up to it, stop and then slowly ease myself up over it. Never had any issues at all. I don't spin the tires as I don't want to have to listen to the wife telling me not to tear up the lawn. Try Cenflrider suggestions. It is a good start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks for the idea. I just went out and tried to climb an 8" wall here at home, and yes it goes right up. I guess the problem was lack of air at 10,500ft. Home is 4800ft up.

However I noticed that it still will not spin all four. Should it?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Where I live / ride mine will spin all 4 in sandy soil (Florida, 60 feet above mean sea level with stock machine, operating temperature, treated regular fuel). However lack of information would prevent me from responding to your situation. If you feel there is a concern, you should take it to the dealer to protect your investment. :idunno:

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I had the rear of mine loaded up with fire wood and she would spin on very rocky soil even while carrying a load. Had no problems when I had to crawl up a near vertical embankment with the front and rear diff's locked either and had all 4 tires spinning. I am at 150-200 feet from sea level. I am thinking that you maybe suffering from a slight lack of power due to elevation maybe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check your oil pressure. However there is still an issue. I'm ride around 5000-8000 feet. I'm am also lacking in power and I get great gas milage, Around 180 miles on 1 tank. Altitude is definitly something worth looking into.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just returned from a week of riding in Taylor Park, CO. Rode over 500 miles and only had problems two times, first time was climbing flag mountain the first day (so I am sure my air filter was still clean) we got 3/4 way to the top and just ran out of power "dead stop :crying: pedal to the metal" so I turned around and descended. Although I did not make it to the top a buddy on a Teryx that did make it :thumbd: said the elevation was posted as 13K give or take. The second time was on Taylor pass elevation 12K give or take and my passenger jumped out when we came to a stand still and it gained me enough that I kept climbing (this was also on a clean air filter). I have done some riding in the moutains of TN and live in IN at 520ft with no issues so I am sure elevation is the culprit. I was wondering if there is a programming change a dealer can make based on elevation?

·
Registered
277 Posts
To the gents who ride at elevations who are effected by this, may I suggest calling Honda so they can see this is not a one off problem. They have the capability if installing a data logger set with a trigger (you push the button when the problem is happening) for engineering review. I would really keep in touch with the tech line so they can give you an update.
Please post what they tell you so we are all informed.
In this case saying nothing will get nothing done for sure. All ears at this point :allears:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.