Honda Pioneer Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can two lap timers run off of the same transmitter and still record the two seperate times clearly?

In other words, do all riders need their own transmitter?

HD

EDIT: BTW, WTF happend to my post count? I was at like 1600 before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
THere only needs to be ONE transmitter on the track and everyone can time from it...

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So in theory, if Dan Kyle could bring me a lap timer I could mooch off of someone elses transmitter?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, there's almost always at least 1 person that has a transmitter at a track day event, so you shouldn't need to buy your own. Of course if everyone followed that theory there would be a problem... :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Only one transmitter should be used, unless you want to record split times than a second transmitter can be placed elsewhere on the track.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An alternate view.. not in any way intended to criticize anyone using lap timers.

I permanently ruined my attitude about bicycling, which I loved, with one of those cateye computers that recorded crank rpms,elapsed time , current and average mph, distance, blah blah and blah. I came to feel like I was working for the damned thing, trying to get every hundred mile ride done within 5 hours, keeping my cadence up in a higher gear, etc., and it got to the point that I wasn't having any fun.

Which was why I was putting in all those miles to begiin with.

I am one of those people who would likely ride beyond my abilities to get a good lap time, potentially taking myself, my bike, ( or you ) out in the process, or maybe I'd just become frustrated at my motorcycle mediocrity and find something else.

So, lap timers are well and good for you people with mature attitudes, but I'm never going to race, so who gives a rat's about the time it takes me to circulate? This is zen, brotha !

I know when I've made improvement just by feel and by increased confidence. Since the stock bike is so much better than I am, the main thing that needs to be improved is my thinking.

Anyway, I note that the better trackday organizations require or recommend that beginning and intermediate riders cover their speedometers. I think for me, this would be an even more important factor to NOT consider.

I'd hate for anyone to wreck on the straightaway looking at their lap timer and riding into someone else.

But I only speak for myself.. you all might not have this disease.

I'm done now.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CBRVFR said:
An alternate view.. not in any way intended to criticize anyone using lap timers.

I permanently ruined my attitude about bicycling, which I loved, with one of those cateye computers that recorded crank rpms,elapsed time , current and average mph, distance, blah blah and blah. I came to feel like I was working for the damned thing, trying to get every hundred mile ride done within 5 hours, keeping my cadence up in a higher gear, etc., and it got to the point that I wasn't having any fun.

Which was why I was putting in all those miles to begiin with.

I am one of those people who would likely ride beyond my abilities to get a good lap time, potentially taking myself, my bike, ( or you ) out in the process, or maybe I'd just become frustrated at my motorcycle mediocrity and find something else.

So, lap timers are well and good for you people with mature attitudes, but I'm never going to race, so who gives a rat's about the time it takes me to circulate? This is zen, brotha !

I know when I've made improvement just by feel and by increased confidence. Since the stock bike is so much better than I am, the main thing that needs to be improved is my thinking.

Anyway, I note that the better trackday organizations require or recommend that beginning and intermediate riders cover their speedometers. I think for me, this would be an even more important factor to NOT consider.

I'd hate for anyone to wreck on the straightaway looking at their lap timer and riding into someone else.

But I only speak for myself.. you all might not have this disease.

I'm done now.
Excellent point! :thumb: I cover my speedo and only reference my lap timer when in the pit. At the speeds, eyeballing lap times & speeds certainly takes away the focus from what's happening on the track. That could lead to a very bad situation.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speaking of transmitters, does someone have a beacon they are planning on putting out? We have one, but we don't have a big battery for it. Let me know, I'll run out tonight and get one if need be. I find that the signal isn't strong enough if you use the D battery option.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am thinking that the first full day I want to focus on consistancy. I don't care how fast/slow, but I want one lap to be as close to the same as the last. I think the only real way to do this is to know what the time is for each lap. If each lap is w/in a few secs of each other, then I can start trying to get fast a little bit at a time (day 2).

HD

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At track days I don't pay much attention to my lap timer (but I do always have it on the bike). I check it out in the pits afterwards to see how I was doing.

It is different when racing, however. If I am chasing someone down then I don't look at it. If there is nobody to chase, however, then I race against my timer. I will look at it during different parts of the track to make sure I am still running a good, consistent time. Otherwise I have a tendancy to slow down just a little bit during a race, which ends up with me getting passed. Watching the lap timer helps me keep up the fast pace during racing if I don't have someone to run down and pass.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I only look at it once I'm back in the pits. I can see if my best lap time has dropped, and I can see if my laptimes are consistant.

We've now got a big 12v battery for the transmitter and it just finished charging. So, if no one else has one, we have the transmitter to put out with a good battery.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HondaGalToo said:
Speaking of transmitters, does someone have a beacon they are planning on putting out? We have one, but we don't have a big battery for it. Let me know, I'll run out tonight and get one if need be. I find that the signal isn't strong enough if you use the D battery option.
This might be the answer
http://www.gizmo.com.au/public/News/news.asp?articleid=2870

1 - 15 of 15 Posts