Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm kind of rumaging through these forums looking for some answers so i figured ill just post and see what I get. I have a Joe Rocket Honda CBR mesh jacket-- it has the ballistics in the elbows, shoulders, spinal support all that cool jazz. My friends father who rides triumphs said that I would be better off with leathers to which i replied "Yea but a good leather costs around 200 more than this 175$ mesh!" and he said to me "Well, 200 dollars or 4 inches of skin-- your choice"

Is mesh really that ineffective? I know that Ive seen a bunch of "any gear over no gear" but still. Another thing is, I confess, I wear jeans when I ride and sometimes I even wear shorts although I have since kicked the habit and ride with jeans or i don't ride at all. I want to get some good pants tho for riding days or maybe if I decide to hit the track... Any suggestions on good, fairly cheap, yet no compromise in safety pants? Boots as well, I just wears these weird rubber shoes that wont do **** if i crash. And also, your opinions on the mesh v leather. Thanks guys. Sorry if this is an old topic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a JR mesh jacket. After getting my A-stars leather, more like $400 more than the mesh, I have never worn the mesh again. Even when it was 100 degrees and 100% humidity I wasn't tempted to go back to the mesh. After comparing the two I realized that there is no comparison. I decided to go with the sweating over bleeding. I have never felt safe in anything else after going with leather. I didn't know what I was missing until I had it. If I had realized just how good an A-stars leather jacket is I would have bought it the day after I got the bike. I understand now why people always said that if you can't afford the bike and good gear then you can't afford the bike. If you think $500 is to much to pay for a jacket then you should have gone with a $500 cheaper bike so that you could afford the jacket.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to get some good pants tho for riding days or maybe if I decide to hit the track...
If you're planning on doing a trackday, no organization that I'm aware of will accept mesh gear, and for good reason. So, get the leather, it's much more protective. Get perfed leather, it really helps with the heat. And you'll need a "real" jacket for trackdays as well, the mesh one you have won't cut it. There's lots of good boots out there...Sidi, Alpinestars. Get good gloves, too, the gauntlet style that come up over your wrists (also required for the track).

Personally, I'm not a fan of the mesh gear. Sure, it's got leather in some important places, but it's severely lacking in others.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If weather permits I HIGHLY prefer weather. However as I have pointed out to critics heat stroke can kill to. In the south there is days you either ride for short periods or not at all in leather. I went out this summer in mesh (JR jacket and pants) and coming back in I had salt stains on my shirt :eek:. I was out from 7AM to 1AM and there is no way I could have survived in leather for that long (100 degrees in high humidity)

That said leather is FAR superior and should be the choice whenever possible. Depending on where you live I think it is reasonable to be a 100% leather rider.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speaking of the MotoGP suits, anyone know why their site says they can't be sold in NY or Cali?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Kangaroo.
Apparently there is a species of Kangaroo that is endangered. And our law makers are too ingnorant to realize this. The Kangaroo that leather is made out of is more of a infestation problem, than being endangered.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kangaroo.
Apparently there is a species of Kangaroo that is endangered. And our law makers are too ingnorant the realize this. The Kangaroo that leather is made out of is more of a infestation problem, than being endangered.
Isn't ignorant and law makers redundant?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leather is better so long as you wear it. If the heat will keep your jacket off wear the mesh, it beats notin'.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kangaroo.
Apparently there is a species of Kangaroo that is endangered. And our law makers are too ingnorant to realize this. The Kangaroo that leather is made out of is more of a infestation problem, than being endangered.
At least we don't have to worry since they're apparantly made so poorly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
realistically, for every day riding, most people wear jeans and a jacket ( leather or textile). I have the astar cargo's. they're pretty heavy duty in terms of the textile thickness. and they do have knee padding, although it's proibably pretty useless cause the padding shifts around. But if you just want to ride in the city without looking like a power ranger then go for those pants as an alternative to jeans.

For track days i don't go anything but 1 piece leather. i'm sure thats pretty much the only accepted gear at most tracks anyways. some do allow 2 piece though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But if you just want to ride in the city without looking like a power ranger then go for those pants as an alternative to jeans.
I literally think I pissed my pants reading this. I haven't laughed so hard over something said on this site as I did reading this comment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
realistically, for every day riding, most people wear jeans and a jacket ( leather or textile). I have the astar cargo's. they're pretty heavy duty in terms of the textile thickness. and they do have knee padding, although it's proibably pretty useless cause the padding shifts around. But if you just want to ride in the city without looking like a power ranger then go for those pants as an alternative to jeans.

For track days i don't go anything but 1 piece leather. i'm sure thats pretty much the only accepted gear at most tracks anyways. some do allow 2 piece though.
I have the A-star cargos too...I feel much more protected than with jeans, but you're right the armor shifts so much it might not help much at all. They are heavy duty, and the problem is that they don't breathe much. I'm thinking about getting some textile/mesh pants with armor for next summer as the cargos are murder to ride in when the temp is above 80 or so. Even above 70 on a 954 feels hot as hell!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went down at about 80 MPH in August and was wearing a mesh jacket, jeans, boots and of course helmet (X11) and gloves (icon). I had on a fieldsheer jacket that only cost me 45 bucks. I got no rash to my upper body. The thing did its job and did it well. Not gonna say that mesh is better, but its better than nothing. And it works dam good. Now if you have a mesh jacket that is 2 sizes tooo big, then ur gonna have a big pink problem, just about bet on that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I looked into these mesh jackets a while ago and decided that yes they do offer great protection as far as the body armour goes but there is still a lot of flesh with little or no protection at all. In my opinion they should only be worn under a jacket or leathers and at no time should they be used as stand alone safety gear.It never ceases to amaze me how so many riders will spend large amounts of cash on the latest bit of bling for their bike, but when it comes to safety gear its the cheapest possable or in some cases none at all ! A rule I always go by is " dress for the crash not the ride ". There are two very distinct types of motor cyclist those that have crashed and those about to crash, you can normally tell who's who from the safety gear they wear. But hey it's your skin and you only have the one so look after it and get the right gear and proctect it the best you can.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.