Honda Pioneer Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of the original 70oz models from 10-15 years ago. Its served me well, but I think its time to upgrade to something with some backpack storage and the new style bladder with the big fill opening. So far the Blowfish looks like a winner, but what says you, what have you used and what are your likes/dislikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use the MULE. Had it for a few years now and like the fact that it will hold some spare stuff, including a spare bladder if you like, yet not big enough to be bulky.
Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
NinerPilot said:
I use the MULE. Had it for a few years now and like the fact that it will hold some spare stuff, including a spare bladder if you like, yet not big enough to be bulky.
Chris
Normal comparisons between "bulky" and "compact" probably don't really apply to you. :D

G

·
I have a Platypus and have been happy with it. It doesn't have a lot of extra storage but enough for keys, cell, wallet, and snacks. It has a "zip lock" type opening which is nice because it's easy to fill and air out. I'm pretty sure they have large models too.

G

·
I have a discontinued model that I use. The features I'd definitely get again are:
  1. Bite valve cover - for when you drop the 'Back on the ground ;)
  2. Insulated hose cover - to help keep the liquid cool/hot
  3. Insulated pack cover - it does help, especially with cold liquids. And, I use my 'Back to help keep me cool on those hot days so the insulation helps keep the liquid cooler which makes me a happy. Nothing like hot/lukewarm water when you're hot and sweaty. Yuck!

G

·
I have the most plain and simple 'bak it holds 70oz and has a zipper pocket just big enough to fit my wallet and truck key (I use it when mtn biking) when I use it on the bike I have no need to carry extra stuff so its all I need.

G

·
I have the mule as well. Holds 100 oz's. Like the fact that you can put an extra bladder in it if needed and the ability to carry items. Have the backpack version as well with two 100 oz's. Can never have enough water in the desert.

G

·
The MULE is great. I have used many different models and makes by different companies over the years for backpacking, mtn biking and sometimes on long rides on the motorcycle and the MULE has been the best one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok, so I have seen there have been at least 4 version sof the MULE. The old, orginal ones, the new 2006 ones, the 2005 and older ones, and the military/police ones. All are very different! Can anyone who has used the military/police one pictured below tell me if the storage pockets are only the two seperated upper and lower pockets? Or is there a full length pocket behind those (not the full length bladder pocket, one for storage.) Basicaly I like the features of the Military/police one, but I need the full length pocket of the standard civilian/sport models to store a jacket liner, rain jacket, etc. Two small pockets wont cut it.

G

·
You may want to consider the backpack one if you are doing all that with it. The backpack is not bad on the motorcycle either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, found a deal on Ebay I couldnt pass up. The guy was local, not even 5 miles away. I got one of the original ones (blue) and one of the 2005 models (black) for $50. The black one defintaly has a better layout of the pockets and such. I am a little dissapointed that none of the current ones have quick release buckles on the shoulder straps like my 15 year old original one, makes removing a whole lot easier when your wearing it over a bulky, padded motorcycle jacket. I may have to pick up a buckle and cut the strap and install it. ITs the perfect size for what I need, the HAWG would be better ifyou actualy wanted to carry alot of gear. I just need to carry the fleece jacket liner out of my duel sport jacket, couple of powerbars, wallet, cell phone, and any other small odds and ends. And alot of water. I drained my 70oz one last month on the LA-Barstow_Vegas dueslport ride and could have used more capacity.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts